Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Patten's future?

Alvin Walton's Mohawk

Patten should fight it out for the #3 WR slot next year. He was no #2 last year. Like I said before there was a reason wy Billichick let him walk.

Just for those who are still in love with Patten, here are the metrics of his 2005 performance and his career as well.

week 1 3 rec 19 yards versus Chicago

week 2 1 rec 12 yards versus Dallas

bye week

week 4 3 rec 15 yards versus sea (OT even)

week 5 7 rec 63 yards versus Den

week 6 2 rec 22 yards versus KC

week 7 2 rec 56 yards versus SF

Week 8 1 rec 6 yards versus NYG

week 9 0 rec 0 yards versus Phi

Week 10 3 rec 24 yards versus TB

Thats a whopping 22 rec for 217 yards and 0 TDs 9.9 YPAC and 2.45 receptions per game

but then again looking at his history http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playe...s?playerId=1393

he averages only 2.1 receptions per game and 14.5 yards per reception.

He kinda got under everyone's skin when he was complaining about not getting the ball at a time when he wasn't playing very well, but he had a point. The guy gets good seperation but Mark rarely looked his way.

We just signed him to a 5yr deal so he isn't going anywhere. I'm wondering how much his knee was a factor earlier in the season.

I did read some reports that said he was healthy enough to play in the playoffs for us, but we put him on the IR. So, he'll be good to go when training camp comes around.

Ideally we should get a #2 and move David to the slot, but it wouldn't surprise me if we just add some depth and have David stay at the #2.

....but soon learned that David Patten provided a viable target to take pressure off of Moss that Jacobs, Farris, and Thrash just couldn't replicate.

Bingo! We will see Patten in the slot as the #3 WR. He will be productive in that position with his speed and quickness.

A healthy Patten is one of the reason's why bringing in David Givens will be good. Having Givens line up as the #2 and Patten #3 will be just like the good ol' days for them in New England.

Patten can be effective as the #3 like he was in New England, with Moss (*cough a better version of Branch cough*) and Givens taking 1 and 2.

Moss is always a threat, and he will be utilized correctly. But I do believe a lot of his yardage was due to the fact that he was almost the only one receiving any throws. With Saunders, Moss will still be a great 1,000+ yard receiver, but I think his production will be slightly lower due to the fact Saunders likes to spread the ball around.

Him being the only WR can be looked at 2 ways. Everyone knew he was the only WR yet he still got off. Just because you're the best WR on a team doesn't mean a team can necessarily stop him with motion and movement.

Lets just cut David Patten, he's a waste of money. If we can trade Ramsey and get a second or thrid pick we can use that to pick a WR. Cause r second round should be a Tight End hopefully Domquine Byrd from USC.

didn't he get a $7 million dollar signing bonus, and you want to cut him after 6 games?

he's been paid, let's see what he can do for the team

A healthy Patten is one of the reason's why bringing in David Givens will be good. Having Givens line up as the #2 and Patten #3 will be just like the good ol' days for them in New England.

Patten can be effective as the #3 like he was in New England, with Moss (*cough a better version of Branch cough*) and Givens taking 1 and 2.

By that same logic, we could bring in Samie Parker and Dante Hall to reproduce the Chiefs offense or Joe Jurevicius and Bobby Engram to reproduce the Seahawks offense.

It doesn't work that way. The Patriots also have Tom Brady, the 5 layers of Visa security, continuity, etc.

David Patten was injured for most of 2003. Otherwise, his production for the Patriots wasn't much different than that of David Givens. What makes you think that David Givens would be such an outstanding 2nd WR for us, when David Patten only fit as a 3rd WR? His amazing athleticism? His track star speed? His towering height? If David Givens was on any other team, we woldn't give him the time of day.

What we need is another WR that can draw a double team and stretch the field. That is not David Givens. If we can't find a young guy for that role, then we need to go after Jimmy Smith, Isaac Bruce, or maybe Eric Moulds until we do.

Then David Patten would make a nice 3rd WR.

A lot of talk on here about Patten being our #3 guy. Problem is, until someone comes in and actually wins the #2 job, that's where Patten will be penciled in. Why? Because he has a year of experience in the system, and I don't expect it to change that much. Unless the Skins go overboad for signing a WR, I expect that whoever they bring in will have to win the job, and not just simply handed the job. I also expect that if we draft someone, he will probably be sitting behind Patten and Thrash on the depth chart.

There is also the question of how Saunders will have an effect on him. Patten had pretty decent stats for the first half, but pretty much disappeared in the second half. Why? Because I think Brunell would lean more and more on Moss as the game went on, and only threw to Patten when it was designed to go to him. That, I expect will change under Saunders, who seems to like to spread the ball around.

Certainly, we do need to upgrade our WR corps, since there isn't much beyond Thrash, but I wouldn't rule out Patten as the #2 receiver just yet.

Jason

Santana Moss is a great receiver, and will help this team a lot through the years, but I do not expect Moss to break 1,400 yards again under Saunders.

Unless Saunders has schemes to get him the ball in the open field. You never know what yardage Moss will pull off when he has the ball and room to move!:D

Joe has made a habit of crossing us up the last couple of years,

First of all, he came back! We thought that he would have leaned towards Winslow then he opted for Taylor, of course the Portis trade, then just recently the Saunders hire, one of the biggest curveballs for me coming from Joe Jackson was his willingness to stand by Brunell who, all of you can agree, hurt or not hurt, had a horrible 2004.

I was thinking, Joe brought in Brunell, he believed in him to be the starting QB, and he stood by him, through thick and thin even after he had the worst QB rating in the NFL. He never gave up on him. Who is to say he does the same with David Patten and completely forgoes the idea of getting a #2 receiver. I know, it sounds crazy, but it is not like we didn't have a player at the position, we did, he just got hurt. Joe wanted this guy, Joe went out and got this guy, and we all know, that Joe sticks by his guys.

The more I think about it, the more it seems plausible to me. We have alot of other issues that might be brewing, Ryan Clark could leave, Taylor could do time, Springs is getting old, we could upgrade at Tight End, we need a DE, and punter. Its just a matter of time before Joe crosses up again, maybe it will be by sticking with Patten??? thoughts?

Cooley is no where near Gonzalez's level yet, but you have to admit, at least the POTENTIAL is there, and he's on the right track so far.

True, but the numbers show that Cooley is actually ahead of Gonzo at the two year point of his career. That is very eye-opening! What makes Gonzo so good? Is it the lack of talent at WR on his team, his speed, what? I think Cooley has all the tools to be just as good...maybe better...than Gonzo. Not as fast, but perhaps even better hands.

Archived