Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Patten's future?

Alvin Walton's Mohawk

What is to become of David Patten? I have seen a lot of discussion surrounding the need to acquire another WR- is Patten even in the plans for next year? We didn't get much of an opportunity to see what he could do- early on he was getting some looks from Brunnell but I wonder if he'll compete for a starting job next year and produce....

Early in the season I didn't like him, he was averaging 1 - 3 catches per game for only 30 yards or so. Without him I thought we'd be more productive, but soon learned that David Patten provided a viable target to take pressure off of Moss that Jacobs, Farris, and Thrash just couldn't replicate. That being said, I definitely like him on the team after seeing that it maybe wasn't just him who wasn't getting into spots, perhaps it was more Brunell going through the checkdowns similar to: Moss, Cooley, out of bounds... I'll be excited to see Moss, Patten, and hopefully another WR lining up for the Skins in 06 to really add a new dimension to our offense. How many times did we see 3 and 4 recievers line up this past season? Not many, thats for sure.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold
I think Patten was being misused this season, next year he will come in as our #3 guy and make some big plays.

completely agree....which was pretty much his role in NE when he put up some decent numbers from that position.

Early in the season I didn't like him, he was averaging 1 - 3 catches per game for only 30 yards or so. Without him I thought we'd be more productive, but soon learned that David Patten provided a viable target to take pressure off of Moss that Jacobs, Farris, and Thrash just couldn't replicate. That being said, I definitely like him on the team after seeing that it maybe wasn't just him who wasn't getting into spots, perhaps it was more Brunell going through the checkdowns similar to: Moss, Cooley, out of bounds... I'll be excited to see Moss, Patten, and hopefully another WR lining up for the Skins in 06 to really add a new dimension to our offense. How many times did we see 3 and 4 recievers line up this past season? Not many, thats for sure.

I'm thinking the same thing. All season people were beyotching about Brunell staring down his receiver (even at the beginning of the season). The seeming ineffectiveness of certain players on offense may have been a matter of play selection, which is all the more reason to truly appreciate Gibbs and his ability to recognize his own faults and make strides to correct them.

At first I would say Patten is not the answer. But then I got thinking about names such as Sammi Parker, Eddie Kennison, Marc Borichter, etc........

If Al Saunders can work with these guys he should definately be able to work with David Patten.

great point.

At first I would say Patten is not the answer. But then I got thinking about names such as Sammi Parker, Eddie Kennison, Marc Borichter, etc........

If Al Saunders can work with these guys he should definately be able to work with David Patten.

True, but you do have to realize he had one of the greatest TE's of all time to work with.

True, but you do have to realize he had one of the greatest TE's of all time to work with.

Year Team Games Catches Yards TD

2004-05 Washington 16 37 314 6

2005-06 Washington 16 71 774 7

1997-98 Kansas City 16 33 368 2

1998-99 Kansas City 16 59 621 2

Just their first two years each.....something to think about...

Cooley is no where near Gonzalez's level yet, but you have to admit, at least the POTENTIAL is there, and he's on the right track so far.

Patten flourished as the #3 receiver in New England. He's a bit expensive for a #3 with his current contract, but that does not justify him being cut after playing only a half a year.

Another reason why Kennison, Parker, and the other wideouts for Kansas City do not have big years like Santana Moss did, was because their offense believes in SPREADING the ball around. Much like New England spreads their ball around a lot, so that Brown, Givens, and Patten did not have large seasons.

I fully expect that Saunders employ that same philosophy, and I do believe much of the QB competition in training camp will be determined by this. If Brunell continues to lock on to only a single person/s, Saunders will NOT be happy. The same goes for Ramsey (if he's still here) and Campbell. The Chief's offense goes through the running game of course, but the pass is a huge staple.

Look at Trent Green's numbers the last few years. He has a LOT of yardage. But none of his targets have great numbers except for Tony G. who has a lot of yardage for a TIGHT END.

Santana Moss is a great receiver, and will help this team a lot through the years, but I do not expect Moss to break 1,400 yards again under Saunders.

Year Team Games Catches Yards TD

2004-05 Washington 16 37 314 6

2005-06 Washington 16 71 774 7

1997-98 Kansas City 16 33 368 2

1998-99 Kansas City 16 59 621 2

Just their first two years each.....something to think about...

Damn, looks like Chris better be ready to have a huge career under Saunders.

We are over looking something here!!!That being the offense was searching for it's place and still is!!!Moss had a great year and got most of the big pass plays. Patten had to be covered also and in the playoffs we needed Patten in there big time!!!!Patten will get more things thrown his way now because everyone will want to shut down Moss!!!!Patten will shine this year,maybe not as big as Moss but I can see him catching a 50 yrd+ bomb unlike Jacobs!!!Just the ability of Patten to run down the field past the defenders is big and the chances of getting a pass int. flag!!!I think it goes like this Moss,Patten,Thrash and?,?, our spots for another wide receiver to shine!!!

Seeing the other teams in the playoffs was painful because it revealed how little talent we had at wr at the end of the year. Obviously Moss is great but there were 3rd, 4th and 5th wr's for other teams that would be a big step up at #2 for us. Seattle's backup QB Seneca Wallace (who we had on our roster once) made a great catch in the Championship game. We need to pick up at least 3 more receivers this offseason because at this point it's not clear that Jacobs is an NFL player, Antonio Brown - great story but not NFL player, Jimmy Farris - come on. Thrash is great on ST but really at best a 3rd or 4th option. So after Moss and Patten we have nothing. Receivers always get nicked up and we simply had nothing as a backup.

Cooley is no where near Gonzalez's level yet, but you have to admit, at least the POTENTIAL is there, and he's on the right track so far.

Patten flourished as the #3 receiver in New England. He's a bit expensive for a #3 with his current contract, but that does not justify him being cut after playing only a half a year.

Another reason why Kennison, Parker, and the other wideouts for Kansas City do not have big years like Santana Moss did, was because their offense believes in SPREADING the ball around. Much like New England spreads their ball around a lot, so that Brown, Givens, and Patten did not have large seasons.

I fully expect that Saunders employ that same philosophy, and I do believe much of the QB competition in training camp will be determined by this. If Brunell continues to lock on to only a single person/s, Saunders will NOT be happy. The same goes for Ramsey (if he's still here) and Campbell. The Chief's offense goes through the running game of course, but the pass is a huge staple.

Look at Trent Green's numbers the last few years. He has a LOT of yardage. But none of his targets have great numbers except for Tony G. who has a lot of yardage for a TIGHT END.

Santana Moss is a great receiver, and will help this team a lot through the years, but I do not expect Moss to break 1,400 yards again under Saunders.

I disagree 2000%. Good coaches find a way to utilize their best players, and Saunders isn't going to ignore the threat that Moss provides. Saunders was also a big part of the Rams offense before he joined KC, and learned under Coryell. He'll know how to use a talented WR like Moss.

Moss is always a threat, and he will be utilized correctly. But I do believe a lot of his yardage was due to the fact that he was almost the only one receiving any throws. With Saunders, Moss will still be a great 1,000+ yard receiver, but I think his production will be slightly lower due to the fact Saunders likes to spread the ball around.

This is what im hoping it'll be.

#1 Reciever-Santana Moss

#2 Reciever-Martin Nance/Miami(OH)

#3 Reciever-David Patten

#4 Reciever-James Thrash

#5 Reciever-Ben Obomanu/Auburn

#6 Reciever-Taylor Jacobs

KR: James Thrash, Santana Moss, LAVAR ARRINGTON!!!!!:D

Now I would love to see lavar returning kicks, how do you stop someone so big fast and strong:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck :applause:

Archived