Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fondest Redskins Memory

RiggoReincarnated

Then I got to call my father-in-law (as I do every day after a game). He said "I don't want to talk about that game". I asked why? He said, "I just don't". I said.. did you stay awake for the whole game". He said "I turned it off halfway through the fourth quarter." I said "have you watched ESPN today? He said.. "Why would I want to do that". I said.. well.. perhaps you should. Redskins won. He asked me if I was kidding... and I said..

I may kid about a lot of things, but I would NEVER kid about US beating the Cowboys.

I still grin when I think about it. And he hasn't turned a game off since.

I haven't turned off a game since WE lost to the Cowboys on Monday Night in 1983 after leading 23-0. (I have come to forgive myself after all of these years- after all I was only 8 years old and I had to go to bed)

That being said. This year's Monday Nighter vs. Dallas will stay with me until I croak. Sweet retribution!

Oh- and "WE WANT DALLAS"- 1982

Super Bowl 17.......the first half.......sitting in the back row of church wearing a hooded sweatshirt so no one could see that I had a pocket radio underneath it with an earpiece in...."dying" one play at a time.....trying not to let it show on my face...

My father was the preacher so NOT showing up at all was NOT an option for me. Thankfully, we lived next door to the church so I could sprint out the door before the sound of the last AMEN faded out in order to catch what was left of the 2nd half....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

IMO this whole season has been a fond memory. 5-6 and already being written off, to an 11-7 finish. How this team jelled during the season was nothing short but amazing. I believe Clinton Portis' emergence and his self described 'maturity' as well as his 'different sides' had to be the catalyst because without him this team doesn't come together. People can say what they want outside of Redskin Nation whether he fits or not but the way he carried this team (along with others) on and OFF the field should NEVER be taken lightly. Now to MY countdown.

7. LaVar Arrington intercepting a pass against Carolina and returning it 68 yards for a TD (a play that turned around an 0-5 season and we would up 8-8).

6. Darrell Green first game (preseason against Atlanta) first time he touched the ball on a punt return for a TD.

5. Darrell Green running down Tony Dorsett on Monday Night.

4. The whole 1991 "Bandwagon" season (still wondering why that team wasn't consider one of the best of all time).

3. "The Santana Show" against Dallas this season.

2. (tie) Riggins 4th and 3. and Riggins coming out in his Redskins Uniform one last time during a halftime ceremony at RFK Stadium.

1. Darrell Green intercepting a Scott Mitchell pass at the 5 yard line and running it in to beat the Lions in overtime (again at RFK and the last one I attended there).

Just a couple I memories juggled up after watching those cool Videos from Tarhog and Docsandy:

1. No Danny, NO!!! - Tom Landry to Danny White on 4th and 1.

2. Dave Butz corkscrewing Danny White into the Turf at RFK.

3. Tony Dorsett bouncing the ball off of Darryl Grants head.

4. John Riggins Farewell Bow.

5. Monday Night Loss - Green Bay 48 - Redskins 47. We lost but it was an awesome show of offense.

6. SI Cover - Wham! Bam! It's the Redskins.

John Riggins breaking the tackle for the winning TD in the Super Bowl.

Beating the Eagles in the Playoffs after losing the Monday game which was called the "Bodybag" game. Buddy Ryan laughed at the 8 or 9 injured player as they were carted off the field.

I like those two, the bodybag game gets talked up a lot here in Philly but, at the same time the philly scum bags tend to have alzheimers about the playoff game later in the year. So every time I hear one of these loser fans talk up the body bag I gladly remind them that Buddy and his punk@$$ boys got kicked out of the playoffs courtesy of the Skins.

3. Joe Gibbs kneeling the ball on the Detroit 1 yard line in the 1991 Season Opener to run out the clock with us ahead 45-0...rather then going for the easy punch in.

I was there...I was at that game...We actually did score from further out, but there was a penalty and we took it to get first and goal rather than take the TD, then we kneeled on it...classy move..thing is, Wayne Fontes got coach of the year that year and Gibbs came in second, so Gibbs responded by beating the Lions again in the NFC Championship game...

1) riggins romp 4th and 1 in superbowl

2) Grants interception return to finish off the "we want dallas" game.

3) The Brunell to Moss 3 minute miracle.

4) The broken rib touchdown return.

5) The superbowl ambush

6) Taylor's super scoop for TD.

7) Darell Green chases down Dorsett and Dickerson from behind to save touchdowns

8) The Replacements

9) Any play where Art Monk either caught the ball or blocked down field.

10) The Hogs

That's my top ten....but there are many more.

I was there...I was at that game...We actually did score from further out, but there was a penalty and we took it to get first and goal rather than take the TD, then we kneeled on it...classy move..thing is, Wayne Fontes got coach of the year that year and Gibbs came in second, so Gibbs responded by beating the Lions again in the NFC Championship game...

I agree that was a crock. I think the only reason Gibbs didn't get coach of the year was that Gibbs jumped from 10-6 to 14-2 and the Lions had a losing record the year before then went to 12-4. Yet the Redskins totally obliterated them twice.

My only regret from that season is not getting to play Dallas in the NFC Championship game and have the chance to put a major hurting on them. I knew once the Lions beat Dallas in the Divisional round they were going to be a piece of cake against us.

3. Joe Gibbs kneeling the ball on the Detroit 1 yard line in the 1991 Season Opener to run out the clock with us ahead 45-0...rather then going for the easy punch in.

Yeah seems like we did that a lot that year. Oh the memories...

My fondest 'Skins memory was that explosion in the second quarter in Super Bowl 22. I remember hearing everyone in the neighborhood just screaming and going crazy on every touchdown. That was a great memory.

The entire 1991 season serves as my fondest compilation of memories. The team clicked on all cylinders the entire season and could have went undefeated if it weren't for a meaningless loss to the Eagles at the end of the season and that dreaded Cowboys 24-21 loss with Jimmy Johnson and the boys doing onside kicks and throwing hail marys to end our undefeated season.

My Favorite memories come from the early 80's everytime that Joe Washington touched the ball, it was like magic to me. He was my favorite RB of all time, but his career was short. He use to jump over defenders and actually jump off their shoulderpads. Then the league outlawed jumping off of other players.

Some may not be the best plays but these the ones that stick in my memory

1. Riggins 4th and 1, 70 chip, SB 17

2. Darrell Green punt return agianst Bears January 1987

3- Sonny runs for 27 yd touchdown against colts, skins lose 38-7, Oct, 65

4.Dec 17 1961 beat Dallas 34-24, Carry Dick James off the field, finish season 1-12-1 [the tie also came against dallas]

5.Nov 27, 66 Washington calls timeout with 10 secs left and sends Charlie Gogolak in to kick a field goal, final score Wash 72 NY 41

Everything pales in comparison to 2nd quarter of play SB 22

time of possession 5:47

Plays 18

TD'S 5

Total yards 356

game Stats

Doug Williams 18 of 29 passes for 340 yards

Ricky Sanders 193 yards on nine catches

Timmy Smith 22 carries for 204 yards

Washington 602 total yards

1. Second quarter of SB XXII

2. Radio Call of Riggins run in SB XVII by Frank Herzog ( Best radio call of All-TIme BTW) * does anyone have a soundclip of this?

3. Skins-Cowboys II in '05

4. The Flaming Cowboys helmet being held up at the end of the last RFK game. Does anyone have a pic of that??

5. Jim Kelly getting up woozy after getting hit in SB XXVI

GIBBS ERA #1

1. 70 Chip, Super Bowl XVII

2. 2nd Quarter, Super Bowl XXII

3a. 1982 Team's Win over the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC Championship Game

3b. 1983 Regular Season win over the Oakland Raiders (GREAT GAME!!!)

POST-GIBBS ERA

(nothing that happened during this time is worth remembering anymore)

GIBBS ERA #2

1. Checking the internet message boards one morning in early January, 2004 to discover the news that the coup of all coups had been performed.... JOE GIBBS WAS RETURNING TO COACH THE REDSKINS!!!! At the time, I had just been laid off of work a few weeks before, and was just beginning to interview for new jobs. I had been depressed at being laid off of work, especially right before Christmas, but I fondly remember dancing around my apartment, pumping my fist in the air while shouting "YES! YES! YES!" and singing "HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!"

2a. Victory over Dallas on Monday Night Football during their "Ring of Fame Game" ("Thank You" Santana Moss!!!!)

2b. Victory over Dallas at FedEx... 35-7!!!

3. Clinton Portis taking his first regular season touch in a 'Skins uniform to the house in a win over Tampa Bay

Archived