Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fondest Redskins Memory

RiggoReincarnated

I know we are all dying that we aren't playing this week, so I'm curious...what are your alls favorite Redskins memories?

I have 3:

1. Denter Manley proclaiming he would "ring Danny Whites clock" before the NFC Championship, then giving him a concussion on a sack, then later in the game tipping a ball that was intercepted by Darryl Grant for a touchdown and RFK going ballistic.

2. John Riggins Super Bowl winning touchdown run on 4th and 3.

3. Joe Gibbs kneeling the ball on the Detroit 1 yard line in the 1991 Season Opener to run out the clock with us ahead 45-0...rather then going for the easy punch in.

Telling by my age, I don't have too many great Redskins memories.

3. Larry Centers' game-winning TD catch against the 49'ers in 1999 to send the Redskins in the playoffs

2. Clinton Portis scoring the go-ahead TD against Philadelphia on week 17 to propel the Redskins in the 2005 playoffs

1. Santana Moss's two-touchdown clutch performance against the Dallas Cowboys on week two of the 2005 season to give the Redskins a 14-13 victory in a game that ultimately decided the playoff fate of both the Redskins and Cowboys:D

Honorable mention to Sean Taylor's playoff touchdown against Tampa Bay this year, and also Stephen Davis's long TD run against Detroit in the 1999 wild card game.

I have only really followed the redskins since 1999, and for me the greatest moment was the two touchdown comeback win in week 2 in Dallas. I actually didn't watch it, as I turned it off with five minutes remaining, just before the comeback, but when I woke up and it said on espn.com "Redskins Shock Cowboys 14-13", it was simply wonderful.

Some of the obvious have been mentioned but I'll repeat anyway...

~ Mike Bass' return of the Garo Yepremian flubbed-kick-pass-fumble for a TD in SB VII, giving at least a glimmer of hope for a comeback

~ Billy Kilmer's Band-Aid, the pre-cursor to Breathe Right strips

~ Darryl Grant's spike after the TD against Dallas in '83 NFCC

~ Riggins shaking Don McNeal in SBXVII

~ Darrell Green's leaping punt return for a TD against the Bears at Soldier Field in 1988

~ Quarter 2 in XXII

~ The Second Coming of JJG

~ Brunnell to Santana x 2 in Dallas, 2005

Superbowl versus the Broncos ship pulled into florida where I could hang out with daughter and her mother down in Miami

Very nice time with a handful of skins fans

Yeah that whole Superbowl gets my vote. That was the first year I became a Skin fan! DW was ubelivable..like he had an Angel on his shoulder the whole game!:D

John Riggins breaking the tackle for the winning TD in the Super Bowl.

Beating the Eagles in the Playoffs after losing the Monday game which was called the "Bodybag" game. Buddy Ryan laughed at the 8 or 9 injured player as they were carted off the field.

It's one thing to crush a team or watch one good play, but I will never forget that final 3 min in Dallas this season. The two TD's are obvious but how about the 25yd scramble on 3rd down or Brunell getting flushed out of the pocket only to throw a perfect strike to an observant Moss who broke off his route and was racing down the sidelines.

The fact that I watched it with a good friend and in front of tables full of Cowboy fans made it even sweeter. Brunell going DEEP.....

It's one thing to crush a team or watch one good play, but I will never forget that final 3 min in Dallas this season. The two TD's are obvious but how about the 25yd scramble on 3rd down or Brunell getting flushed out of the pocket only to throw a perfect strike to an observant Moss who broke off his route and was racing down the sidelines.

The fact that I watched it with a good friend and in front of tables full of Cowboy fans made it even sweeter. Brunell going DEEP.....

There's something in my eyes...making them water...*sniff*

That was the sweetest game EVER. All those *****-ass Cowboy fans were talking so much smack the entire game. Then Moss burnt them BAD, and all of a sudden the tables were turned. So friggin' awesome!! :)

BRUUUUUUUNEELLLL....GOOOING DEEEP!!! I will always remember Al Michaels fondly because of that call. Does anyone have that as a .wav file?? That would be AWESOME!!! Hook a brotha up!! :)

2. John Riggins Super Bowl winning touchdown run on 4th and 3.

I'm pretty sure it was 4th and 1...We all know Gibbs wouldn't go for it on 4th and 3!! :silly:

Down 17-13 in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl XVII and needing a big play, the Redskins turned once again to running back John Riggins, who had been making big plays for them all season. Washington faced a fourth-and-1 from the Miami 43.

http://www.superbowl.com/history/mvps/game/sbxvii

Yeah, I've been a fan my whole life (raised that way), but was never truly a hardcore fan until a couple years ago when I started going to all the home games with season tickets with my family. But for me the best memory was definitely the closing minutes of that Dallas MNF game, with, as someone said, Brunell scrambling for that first down and the two out of nowhere long bombs to Santana, and to cap it off the monster hit by Sean Taylor on Patrick Crayton. I was so excited I actually woke up my roommate by clapping and yelling so much.

* Sam Wyche - "Die you dirty dogs, Die" versus the Blue Star People

* Darrell Green running down Tony Dorsett on Monday Night Football

* Darrell Green running down Eric Dickerson

* The Fun Bunch

* Flying Seat Cushions in the playoffs versus Atlanta

* Monte Coleman traditional raising of the helmet

* Doug Williams & Timmy Smith's Super Bowl performance versus Denver

* The Replacement Players defeating the Blue Star team that crossed the strike line.

* Darrell Green's punt return against Chicago in the playoffs

* Riggins TD in the Super Bowl

* Art Monk breaking the record on Monday Night Football

* And Riggins telling Sandra Day O'Connor to loosen up before passing out under the table.

Boy.. most of mine have been posted... DG running down Tony Dorsett... DG's punt return/torn rib muscles against Chicago...

Riggo's 4th and 1 run in SB XVII (I was there!)...

Stopping Minnesota at the goal line to put us in the SuperBowl.

The seat cushion game. (Atlanta - Deion -- Too Legit To Quit.. yeah right).

BUT.... as for recent, putting aside the day that it was announced Joe Gibbs was coming back...

It wasn't just the Monday Night game against Dallas...

It was calling a friend of mine who is a Redskins fan the next morning (and whose significant other is a Cowboy's fan) asking what she thought of the game... and she said.. bummer... Cowboys have our number. I said.. I take it you all went to bed? She said yes... I said.. well, prepare your significant other for a rude awakening... Redskins won.

I dropped the phone she yelled so loud.

Then I got to call my father-in-law (as I do every day after a game). He said "I don't want to talk about that game". I asked why? He said, "I just don't". I said.. did you stay awake for the whole game". He said "I turned it off halfway through the fourth quarter." I said "have you watched ESPN today? He said.. "Why would I want to do that". I said.. well.. perhaps you should. Redskins won. He asked me if I was kidding... and I said..

I may kid about a lot of things, but I would NEVER kid about US beating the Cowboys.

I still grin when I think about it. And he hasn't turned a game off since.

Archived