Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The major downside of the new OC..

dmauro1

I made a season out of bashing JG's playcalling and vastly underpefroming O. I did give credit to him for building a hell of a team and installing the proper attitude..I thought of him as the best GM in the NFL(even tho he isnt a GM)but I didnt think he wouldnt be able to evolve his X's and O's enough to get to the next level.

KC's O cord is the one guy I would've loved to have..and here he is.

The downside is(maybe not ds but its easier when mot much is expected)..considering we know GW's D will be at the top of the class(we should really add a DE and solid CB anyway)..and an O line that includes RT, JJ, CS, CR(all guys that can play at a Pro Bowl level, think how many teams you can realistically say that about)and an improving Dockery..combined w/Clinton, Santana, and Cooley...I think the days of not expecting much should be over.

On paper, I will take the Skins over ANY team in the NFC. I am excited about next season for the first time in many yrs. A 9-7 or 10-6 season would be crushing. Am I the only one that expects great things upon hearing this news?

I know JG wont allow the O to be opened up like KC but thats fine, it just needed to be more aggressive w/o doing an overhaul. I dont think JG would have done it alone or w/our current OC.

I gave an explanation of the downside in response to a quote I got

Expectations SHOULD be high next season

It all really hinges on the QB play. If Brunell/Campbell do the right things, this offense should soar and the D is good enough to lead us to a 13 or 14 win season

Depending on how the QB play looks, who we keep, who we bring in, my expectations are for a top seed in the NFC playoffs and a very good shot at the Superbowl

I made a season out of bashing JG's playcalling and vastly underpefroming O. I did give credit to him for building a hell of a team and installing the proper attitude..I thought of him as the best GM in the NFL(even tho he isnt a GM)but I didnt think he wouldnt be able to evolve his X's and O's enough to get to the next level.

The downside is(maybe not ds but its easier when mot much is expected)..considering we know GW's D will be at the top of the class(we should really add a DE and solid CB anyway)..and an O line that includes RT, JJ, CS, CR(all guys that can play at a Pro Bowl level, think how many teams you can realistically say that about)and an improving Dockery..combined w/Clinton, Santana, and Cooley...I think the days of not expecting much should be over.

On paper, I will take the Skins over ANY team in the NFC. I am excited about next season for the first time in many yrs. A 9-7 or 10-6 season would be crushing. Am I the only one that expects great things upon hearing this news?

I know JG wont allow the O to be opened up like KC but thats fine, it just needed to be more aggressive w/o doing an overhaul. I dont think JG would have done it alone or w/our current OC.

CR? Please don't tell me your referring to Cory Raymer as a pro bowler. If you ask me he is as good as gone. Despite our lack of O-line depth. He is that bad.

Me no understand.

Are you saying the downside is that the expectations are higher or that you can't bash the playcalling anymore? :laugh:

There is no downside here.

First he added Musgrave, and the offense was much improved. Now he adds Saunders. There is no downside to this.

CR? Please don't tell me your referring to Cory Raymer as a pro bowler. If you ask me he is as good as gone. Despite our lack of O-line depth. He is that bad.

I think he meant Rabach

edit: somehow i missed the post directly above this one:doh:

Gibbs first season the concensus review was... Great d- if they could even get an average o they'd be a playoff contender. This season... average o, bit too conservative at times and they were a playoff contender. There's not a team out there they can't compete with. Next year, if the d remains at its current level or improves slightly (we gave up too many big plays this year) and we can improve the O to top third the sky's the limit.

So, what exactly is "the major downside of the new OC"? The way your post is written, it sounds like us getting 13 - 14 wins is the downside. When writing a post you should have a point. It makes it much more enjoyable to the reader.

Another gripe I have is how you consider that a Hall of Fame coach "wouldnt be able to evolve his X's and O's enough to get to the next level". :doh: Joe Gibbs has won three Super Bowls with his X's and O's.

I believe he's referring to Casey Rabach.

I think I missed the downside somewhere...

the downside is really for this site who loved to give excuses why we lost in winnable games in order to protect the great JG. We have had too much talent on both sides of the ball to be coined as "rebuilding" as many would say. 10-6 wasnt that great this year for the potential that was there.

So, what exactly is "the major downside of the new OC"? The way your post is written, it sounds like us getting 13 - 14 wins is the downside. When writing a post you should have a point. It makes it much more enjoyable to the reader.

Another gripe I have is how you consider that a Hall of Fame coach "wouldnt be able to evolve his X's and O's enough to get to the next level". :doh: Joe Gibbs has won three Super Bowls with his X's and O's.

In a diff. NFL. Two words: Salary Cap...not to mention much faster and smarter Ds every week. The same X's ad O's that worked back then wont work now. i.e. the last 2 seasons

In a diff. NFL. Two words: Salary Cap...not to mention much faster and smarter Ds every week. The same X's ad O's that worked back then wont work now. i.e. the last 2 seasons

So, going from 6-10 to 10-6 isn't successful? Going from the 30th ranked offense to the #11 offense isn't successful? Or maybe going from the 30th ranked scoring offense to the #13 scoring offense wasn't successful either? Hmmmm, while we're at it, maybe winning a playoff game for the first time since 1999 wasn't successful? I can think of 24 teams in the NFL who would have loved to have the success the Redskins just had this year. :sucks:

Archived