Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking down the potential free agent Wide Recievers...

fdarugar

I rather draft Martin Nance.

1st, thanks for the heads up on Nance. ESPN has completely different numbers on him, btw. For starters, they have him listed as shorter and much slower than on that website.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=9272

I don't know if the Skins will take a reciever with that pick (which should be in the #57 - #60 overall range, I think). I only say this because there really is a deep talent pool in the FA market (fortunately), but I do think #2 WR should be our no. 1 priority. I guess it depends on what Defensive Linemen are still available at that position.

They really could use a better pass rusher or at least some depth on the line. But the DL draft pool is mighty thin once you get to late second round. At the same time, Vanden Bosch seems to be the only quality DE available through free agency and he will demand a pretty high price.

But if Nance is there, he's definitely someone we should pick up in the 3rd.

If we do take a WR in the 2nd, Hank Baskett (New Mexico) sounds intriguing. Not very quick, but he's pretty darn big - he sounds like a prototypical "possession" WR. Plus he was a state-champion high-jumper.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=9712

Admittedly, haven't seen this guy play. So if anybody has, let us know what you think.

I have a feeling we'll make a strong run at R. Wayne. Indy looks like the kind of place you'd like to get out of these days. If not, K Robinson seems like a very good pick and he returns punts (for those of you whom A. Brown scares to death on a weekly basis).

As I have said on another thread, Randle-El is a complete football player. He personally kept an inept Indiana University football team quasi-competitive in the Big Ten while starting at QB for 3+ years. He is quick, tough, can take a hit, smart, fast, and has that character that Gibbs seeks. When he was at IU, he was a popular leader. Not only could he throw the WR pass, he could definitely come in and play QB in a pinch.

Guest GIBBSisGOD

Reggie Wayne would be great, although like everybody else i don't see it happening ...

I really think Brandon Lloyd should be our guy. He had a decent year with a rookie at quarterback for the majority of the year and although it would cost us a draft pick i think he would be a great compliment to moss for a long time. Hes only like 25 i think so .... great upside

Moulds just seems like a Gibbs type of choice - a vet with a good work ethic who plays smart.

I also would really like Antiono Bryant - he's quick, plays with a chip on his shoulder/something to prove, and you know he doesn't like Dallas:D

Jurevicious or Randle El I wouldn't mind either.

I originally was interested in Lloyd too, but I didn't know he was RFA - I'd rather not give up a draft pick.

Like most I would like Wayne or Moulds because they're very attractive additions... and I'm a huge fan of bringing in McCardell for chemistry reasons and the fact that he's a solid possession guy. Honestly in my opinion the best all around reciever in this bunch is Lloyd, the guy is a sick game changer if he actually has a QB. BUT...how has noboy mentioned JIMMY SMITH? I understand he's old as dirt, (37 next month to be exact), but he's been consistent as an old WR and with a 2 year contract I think it would be well worth it.

Same as McCardell, Smith has the chemistry as he played in Jax w/ Brunell, but here's the kicker: 9 out of the last 10 seasons he's had over 1,000 yards recieving...the year he didn't was when he only played 12 games (the only year he hasn't played a full 16 other than 2000 when he played 15). If we can't bring in Lloyd, Wayne, or Moulds at a decent price, McCardell or Jimmy Smith with come at an affordable price.

def gotta look at Brandon Lloyd since we love to get restricted free agents...

i like Antonio Bryant...i think under joe gibbs he wont have a huge head like he did with teh cowboys and browns...

Joe Jurivicious would be a good compliment as a #2 WR...he's tall and he also is a great red zone threat

Antawn(sp?) Randel-El would be a good pickup butttt hes not a pure #2, but a pure #3....he would solve our kick-return/punt-return duties tho....but how much is that worth this offseason?!

UNLIKE most I think Randle-El would not be a good pickup IMO. I don't think he'd be a solid #2, he's more of a #3. With regards as to who i'd like i'm gonna say Wayne(of course), Lloyd, Bryant, a tall receiver is just what we need, I haven't done much research on WR prospects yet so i'll have to look into that

Wayne would be great but this isn't fantasy football. Unless someone gets injured or we have a bad year, we're talking about a guy who'll catch 45-55 passes max (less if we're great). In truth, I wouldn't be suprised that we don't go for anybody who is going to make a splash. I bet we go for McCardell and take someone in the draft.

Here is David Boston's averages for 2000 and 2001 when he was with Arizona when healthy....

84 catches

1377 yards

16.3 avg.

7 td's

22 for 20+ yards

7 for 40+ yards

60 catches for first down

That was him as a true #1. Now using him with Moss, I think his numbers for us will look more like his 2003 season with the Chargers when he played in 14 games. They are...

70 catches

880 yards

12.6 avg.

7 td's

13 for 20+ yards

2 for 40+ yards

42 catches for first down

I think the catches for first down are the true stat because this is what we need in a receiver. We do NOT need another speed receiver. We need a possession receiver who can convert on third down. My vote is and will be for David Boston.

As a #2 WR i would want Wyane, Bryant, Mccardell, Robinson. in this order

Then if you want to sign Joe Jurevicius or Randel el as a third WR.

Then we have

#1 WR - Moss

#2 WR - Wyane or Bryant or Mccardell or Koren Robinbson

#3 WR - Jurevicius or Robinson or Randel el

#4 WR - Patten or Thrash

#5 WR - Drafted WR - Avant, Stovall, Hass, Nance ( Just One of these Players the team choice who to draft, With the 2nd rd pick or 3rd pick for Rasmey)

#6 WR - Thrash or Patten

Would be our WR Corp and i think any combination of these players would make our passing game more dangerous, also the most important thing would be who passing the football. Also This threat of passing would help portis run the football. Also would help QB because teams cant blitz to much, because need more people in coverage to stop WR.

As a #2 WR i would want Wyane, Bryant, Mccardell, Robinson. in this order

Then if you want to sign Joe Jurevicius or Randel el as a third WR.

Then we have

#1 WR - Moss

#2 WR - Wyane or Bryant or Mccardell or Koren Robinbson

#3 WR - Jurevicius or Robinson or Randel el

#4 WR - Patten or Thrash

#5 WR - Drafted WR - Avant, Stovall, Hass, Nance

#6 WR - Thrash or Patten

Would be our WR Corp and i think any combination of these players would make our passing game more dangerous, also the most important thing would be who passing the football. Also This threat of passing would help portis run the football. Also would help QB because teams cant blitz to much, because need more people in coverage to stop WR.

I like your idea, but there is more to a football team than WR,. We need OL and DL help also. We will get our WR by Free agency and maybe draft a WR late in the draft. But I think we get D Line help from the Draft and by free agency.

I like your idea, but there is more to a football team than WR,. We need OL and DL help also. We will get our WR by Free agency and maybe draft a WR late in the draft. But I think we get D Line help from the Draft and by free agency.

That True but this Post is about WR not other Things.

If i would also try to sign Left Guard Steve Hutchinson to replace Dockery in the starting line up and keep dockery as an back- up to make our o-line depth a strength.

On the D-line i Try and sign Shaun Rogers from Lions ( I think he had some where around 6 sacks), then i would also sign Robert Mathis ( 11 sacks)

Then Draft- DE - Manny lawson NCST or Stanley McClover Auburn.

With some of this signings we have depth. Also we have a strong Rotation.

Therefore we are more Healthy and Effective on the d-line. Also

i would start Phillip Daniels, Griffin, Rogers, Mathis. then we rotate Lawson or McClover at DE and Salava at DT. We would have a great pass rush along with a more domiant run stoping d-line due to the size in the middle of the line.

Moulds just seems like a Gibbs type of choice - a vet with a good work ethic who plays smart.

I also would really like Antiono Bryant - he's quick, plays with a chip on his shoulder/something to prove, and you know he doesn't like Dallas:D

Jurevicious or Randle El I wouldn't mind either.

I originally was interested in Lloyd too, but I didn't know he was RFA - I'd rather not give up a draft pick.

You relize the bills will be trading or releasing him becuase of selfishness and character issues right?(eric moulds)

Also we could improve our secondary by adding a Bigger SS like an

adam Archuleta then draft an cornerback Griffin from texas or Devin Hester from Miami.

Our CB Depth - Springs, Rogers, Harris, Griffin or Hester, Jimoh.

Our FS Depth- Taylor, Pierson P.

Our SS Depth - Archuleta, Clark

With some more Depth and a bigger SS we can have a more domiant run stopping force. also make teams more afraid of coming across the middle of the field.

Don't get me wrong Clark is a great player he is just not big like most SS, to make players afraid at coming at him( He has been run over several times)

He would still get his playing time as you know G. Williams like to Sub Players.

Archived