Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Officiating in the NFL IS HORRIBLE!

TD Riggo

Well if that call gave you the dry heaves (and it should) wait until ole Mike Pereira (sp?) who is the head of the officials is on the tube this week spewing his warped gibberish on why his officials have never made a wrong call, keep a bucket handy. Polamalu had that one, everybody in North America knows it, but the zebras were trying (instructed?) to do everything possible to get Indy to the SB.

I thought that the refs plotted to keep us OUT of the SB, now they plot to get INdy IN??? Come on .. these guys are p/t officials, THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

Here is my take on the officiating - I wanted to start a thread on this exact same issue too.

I was rooting for the Steelers coz I hate the Colts and like an underdog. When that interception was made I said - they will review this and 100% rule it an incomplete pass. Now how did I forsee such a bad piece of officiating? Well, all year long I have seen calls like this happen. The refs are not against the Skins. Hell, the refs do a pretty good job most of the time. The one time there is no excuse for making such a bad mistake is with video replay!

Anyway, how did I know they would overturn the call? Well, the refs ALWAYS try to prolong the excitement of the game when they can. They always try to give big swings in advantage to losing teams and whenever they get the chance to make a big momentum change they take it as if to keep the viewers on the edge of their seats (it worked didn't it) and also to benefit the home team.

Examples: P.I. Call on Assante Samuel last night. Troy Polamalu's INT overturned.

I remember them doing the same thing to the Giants in order to push them out of field goal range against the Seahawks on a ridiculous call that Shockey didn't have possession. They also called penalties to ensure they were pushed 10 yards from field goal range. I didn't care at the time coz I hate the Giants but these injustices simply cannot continue.

It is blatant cheating and had the Colts won the game I would have felt sick about the NFL and the entire sport.

Anyone agree with my points?

After watching the Colts and Steelers game,I had to make this post!

What changes would you like to see be made or improvements as far as the officiating and/or instant replay in 2006?

#1)Actually hire full-time Officiating crews since there's too much to gain or lose in todays NFL?

#2)Since the Refs have so much influence on every game,they need to allow an additional Challenge (3) no matter what, as long as the team has a TO remaining?(differrent than the "get 2 right;get another option)

#3)Allow teams to Challenge even after the 2 minute warning,Cause this home field "Challenge when we want thing" is just to easy to start a conspiracy?(talking about the booth review with 2:00 left in the game)

#4)Should they start hiring TEAM referees for all the 32 teams like a Free Agency?Then have 1 neutral Ref (captain) to decide the call...

#5)Should they just totally scrap the instant replay and just make the calls as they see them like in the good ole' days?(tuck rule would have been called right).....(troy palumalu would not have been screwed) and such?

#6)Should they leave it the way it is...but actually have the Refs held accountable if they blow it big time?(like fines,Firings,suspensions and such)Like the players get?

#7)Should their be unlimited challenges?

#8)Should every call that's questionable be able to have Challenged,instead of the stipulations that prevent it?(like down by contact,Uncatchable ball and such)?

#9)Should their be unlimited Challenges as long as you have a TO?(different than #7)

#10)Should you be able to challenge a Challenge? :silly:

It was a very strict call.

Technically rolling on the ground is not a football move.

Getting up is a football move and Palomalu fumbled the ball before he stood up.

Tough call

Palamalu caught the ball, took a step, fell down on both knees with possesion, rolled around on the ground,and as he got up the ball hit his knee and came loose. He maintained possession as he hit the ground. There was no irrefutable evidence that it wasn't a reception, yet he still reversed the call.

SMELLS LIKE HOME COOKING TO ME.....

maybe the NFL should go with professional refs instead of the part time job. Too many Drs and Lawyers and other professionals do it as a side. Then if they aren't up to it they get fired. There's enough money in pro ball to do it. Also as a side do you think replay has really helped or made the refs more indecisive? Just a thought.

Agreed. Refs have got to be full time and when they are not officiating games they should be watching film, studying, and should have to go through classroom based training where they break down scenarios and discuss what the proper call should be.

A point of emphasis this offseason has got to be when/when not to blow a play dead and what the proper initial call on the field should be. For example, if some team's FB is caught in a pile up at the goal line and there is not any visual evidence that the football crossed the plane then the correct call is to not signal the conversion good.

I feel that replay should be pretty self explanatory but it is not. I find more often than not that the refs appear to get the call wrong even after reviewing the play. I don't know if it is a pride thing or straight incompetence.

Either way it has gotten really, really annoying.

#1)Actually hire full-time Officiating crews since there's too much to gain or lose in todays NFL?

DON'T THINK IT WOULD MAKE THAT BIG OF A DIFFERENCE. I DON'T THINK MISTAKES ARE B/C THE REFS DON'T KNOW THE RULES.

#2)Since the Refs have so much influence on every game,they need to allow an additional Challenge (3) no matter what, as long as the team has a TO remaining?(differrent than the "get 2 right;get another option)

I LIKE THAT...AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A TO, YOU CAN CHALLENGE.

#3)Allow teams to Challenge even after the 2 minute warning,Cause this home field "Challenge when we want thing" is just to easy to start a conspiracy?(talking about the booth review with 2:00 left in the game)

BOOTH REVIEW AND AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A TO.

#4)Should they start hiring TEAM referees for all the 32 teams like a Free Agency?Then have 1 neutral Ref (captain) to decide the call...

NO WAY! BIAS CITY!

#5)Should they just totally scrap the instant replay and just make the calls as they see them like in the good ole' days?(tuck rule would have been called right).....(troy palumalu would not have been screwed) and such?

UM NO. UNLESS THEY OUTLAW "DOWN BY CONTACT" QUICK WHISTLES.

#6)Should they leave it the way it is...but actually have the Refs held accountable if they blow it big time?(like fines,Firings,suspensions and such)Like the players get?

YOU CAN'T FINE OR SUSPEND A PLAYER B/C OF MISTAKES ON THE FIELD. EITHER WAY I DISAGREE

#7)Should their be unlimited challenges?

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A TO.

#8)Should every call that's questionable be able to have Challenged,instead of the stipulations that prevent it?(like down by contact,Uncatchable ball and such)?

I'D LIKE PASS INTERFERENCE TO BE CHALLENGABLE.

#9)Should their be unlimited Challenges as long as you have a TO?(different than #7)

YEA

#10)Should you be able to challenge a Challenge? :silly:

YOU USED TO BE ABLE TO IN MADDEN '93

Now, having started this little discussion -- and I still maintain that 89.3% of all officiating in the NFL blows -- I WILL say that "after further review" (I watched Game of the Week twice last week of the Skins-Bucs) I have to say that the officiating in the Bucs game was almost completely spot-on! That crew, that day did a great job.

Still, NFL officiating blows!

As to "grading" the refs .. they DO! Every week, Pereira has a team of "professionals" review every play of every game and they grade crews and individual ref's performances. All this, and yet officiating just gets worse and worse!! I don't know if there is any hope!

Also as a side do you think replay has really helped or made the refs more indecisive? Just a thought.

As I stated in Post #1, these morons watch high-def, super slo-mo, stop motion instant replay on high-res, broadcast quality monitors and STILL get it wrong!

So to answer your question: I think if it hasn't improved officiating (which it clearly hasn't), then it should be scrapped!

Seems to me the entire system needs serious look into (case in point, why was there not a better angle or some technology that could determine if the ball really went over the pilon on the Champ Bailey int. and subsequent fumble in the game yesterday--that could have been huge) but you get the feeling that there are powers that we are not aware of as the reason for this seemingly slow adoption or embrace of things that could not slow the game, but better the game. Millions and millions spent on stadiums and no good angle on a goal line play? Mmmmmmmmmm?!?!?!

The best thing to do would be to make being an NFL ref a full time job.

Unlike baseball umpires these NFL guys have other jobs and aren't even around football until the game rolls around on Sunday.

This is pretty sketchy in my opinion. They should be practicing their craft all week long and it should be their only job.

Palamalu caught the ball, took a step, fell down on both knees with possesion, rolled around on the ground,and as he got up the ball hit his knee and came loose. He maintained possession as he hit the ground. There was no irrefutable evidence that it wasn't a reception, yet he still reversed the call.

SMELLS LIKE HOME COOKING TO ME.....

He didn't take a step, he fell and didn't maintain possession.

The ref said the ball came loose before he got up. Had he stood up with possession it would've been a fumble as getting up is a football move. Falling on the ground is not a football move.

Very strict interpretation of the rule.

Guys an Int, is like a catch, the player MUST maintain possession when hitting or on the ground or by rule it's incomplete..... we just had that in the Tampa game last week

Agreed,but things get hazy when for instance the now playing Chi/Car game,the WR caught the ball and was immediately hit by the opposing CB,after that the WR fumbled/dropped the ball and during the play it was ruled complete/fumble.But after review it was estimated he was down by contact (knee) and the occuring fumble was negated,so how does for instance the TB WR in our earlier playoff game be negated as a incomplete pass,while the before mentioned Chicago WR was ruled down with only a knee,and it not be ruled as incomplete?? If someone could provide a link to the official nfl rule book it may make it more clear,because right now im confused lol...Oh and i would also like someone to clearly explain why in the Indy/Pitt game during the offsides/false start flag,no penalty was issued...

Oh and i would also like someone to clearly explain why in the Indy/Pitt game during the offsides/false start flag,no penalty was issued...
because the refs didn't call anything. The Colts just started pointing fingers when they thought there was a false start. The refs never called a false start and the Colts never touched anyone so no encroachment.

Ben should've snapped the ball and the Steelers would've had a free play.

and the Chicago WR was touched when his knee was down. No one touched Palamalu.

Holy ****

The call didnt make a difference in the game, cuz they didnt score on that drive. It's a moot point

BLAME BETTIS FOR FUMBLING with 1 MINUTE !!!

wtf r u talking about? They most certainly did score on that drive, and got the 2 pt conversion, to boot!

That call was freaking unbelievable. I'm from Cincinnati, and I HATE the Steelers (although I graduated from Miami of Ohio, so I like Big Ben). Bottom line is, he clearly intercepted the ball. To watch that replay and say that it was an incomplete pass because he lost the ball before he got his second knee off the ground...was just plain absurd. I mean, he didn't even have to get up at all. He caught it with clear control, fell to the ground with an arm underneath the ball at all times (again, complete control). If he'd wanted to, he could have just laid on it and waited to be touched. Instead, he tried to get up with it and gain some yardage, but in the process of doing so, his own knee knocked the ball out of his left hand. That was a fumble, which he then recovered and laid on, wisely not taking anymore chances (probably thinking back to last week's lateral that, though successful, could have been very costly). The call was ridiculous, and as Boomer said in the post-game, "I don't care what the NFL says." Piss-poor officiating, that almost cost the Steelers a trip to the AFC championship, after they had pretty much dominated the Colts all day long. Horrible, by ANY standards, and simply SHOULD NOT HAPPEN in ANY game, let alone a game of this magnitude.

because the refs didn't call anything. The Colts just started pointing fingers when they thought there was a false start. The refs never called a false start and the Colts never touched anyone so no encroachment.

Ben should've snapped the ball and the Steelers would've had a free play.

Hmm then shouldnt the steelers have been called for delay of game...and as for the difference between the TB catch and the CHI game and the ruling,i guess it different between "going to the ground" and "making a catch"...im going to find the rulebook,and see the section for different play instances heh

Agreed,but things get hazy when for instance the now playing Chi/Car game,the WR caught the ball and was immediately hit by the opposing CB,after that the WR fumbled/dropped the ball and during the play it was ruled complete/fumble.But after review it was estimated he was down by contact (knee) and the occuring fumble was negated,so how does for instance the TB WR in our earlier playoff game be negated as a incomplete pass,while the before mentioned Chicago WR was ruled down with only a knee,and it not be ruled as incomplete?? If someone could provide a link to the official nfl rule book it may make it more clear,because right now im confused lol...

down by contact was the difference

I'm not referring to yesterday's game. Although there were a ton of holding calls yesterday that were never called, and the "offensive PI" was bogus too. But that is NOT why we lost yesterday. The Hawks played the better game and we lost. Period.

My reason for starting this thread is because I just watched what could possibly be THE most horribly wrong instant replay review in the Steelers/Colts game and the evidence on MY TV -- and I don't have high-res, high-def, super slo-mo, freeze frame equipment -- was that Troy Polamalu CLEARLY made an interception and the zebra came back and ruled it incomplete. This call could very well change the course of this game! The officiating across the NFL this year has been close to abysmal! Instead of the "quality control" program that Mike Pereira always raves about improving the officiating, it just gets worse. In addition, this is a playoff game and I thought these were supposed to be the best crews available.

For the record .. I couldn't care less who wins this game, but it's a shame when horrible officiating almost dictates the outcome of games! It just gets worse every year. I even think that the instant replay needs to be scrapped altogether because these idiots can't even watch the aforementioned state of the art video equipment replays and get it right!

I agree with most of what you say but it makes no sense to say that the officiating is horrible and then say that replay should be scrapped. Replay should not be scrapped at all, it's supposed to protect a team from a bad call. It does need to be changed and what needs to be done is take the review away from the ref on the field and put it up in the booth to a dedicated review crew. And if you really wanted to make sure the right call is made let three different reviewers look at the same play and each make a decision and then the best 2 out of 3 is what would decide the call. Also, they need to change the rule on "down by contact".

down by contact was the difference

So this is pretty much the thing with all these calls,"when is a player down" is it a judgement call..or is there a strict,rock solid ,no doubt about it,sure as heck, rule in the book that says when a player is down,from each case there is a different explanation to when a player is down...nm the more i try to make sense of it the more questions that come up.

Archived