Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In DEFENSE of Jason Campbell... (OUTSIDE EXTREMESKINS)...

AUviaDC101

Alot of people are second guessing Joe Gibbs BRILLIANT decision to trade for a first round pick to pick up Jason Campbell. I am personally defending this pick considering Jason Campbell will be one of the Best Surprises come mid-next year (2006 season) and/or for the 2007 season...

Ok, I am at work, but I would like to have a SERIOUS conversation with RATIONALE. Rationale includes and accurate account of a VERY good Collegiate football career, as well as the fact that he passed the WONDERLICK test amazingly high last year and had 4 offensive coordinators at Auburn.

Also, he runs a 4.6, and is 6'4.5...

With accuracy and a cannon. Let him learn gibb's offense, and watch 17 'return'...

Chuuuuch

It would be nice to have an intelligent conversation about JC... but the lack of reporting on him by the local media is astounding. Sometimes I forget he's even on the roster... I have to remind myself that we have a first round draft pick at QB on the team :doh:

First of all, you're defending someone that no one has attacked. It's a bit like the French Army surrounding Luxembourg and daring anyone to attack. The rest of us just look on... in amusement.

But I'll take you bait. Brilliant? Umm... how in the hell would you know? "Brilliant" picks are proven on the field. We haven't seen him on the field. Therefore, Jason Campbell is not a "brilliant" pick. Yet.

im sorry to say but jason campbell had 1 of the worst wonderlic scores at the draft combine. i think he score 11 possible pts out of 40 or 45 which ever it is.

Has anyone kept track of these scores (since when have they been around, by the way?) and how they correlate to on-field success?

Has anyone kept track of these scores (since when have they been around, by the way?) and how they correlate to on-field success?

I think that would be a great piece of analysis.

I would wager, however, that given Gibbs' track record of preparation and thoroughness, that the Coaching staff probably did this analysis before they traded up to get Campbell. Just a guess though.

im sorry to say but jason campbell had 1 of the worst wonderlic scores at the draft combine. i think he score 11 possible pts out of 40 or 45 which ever it is.

yeah, and eli manning had a 45 out of 45--and look how dumb he looked on sunday--wonderlic doesn't measure heart or competitiveness

His first Wonderlic test score (14) was lower than you like from a player at the quarterback position, but he then scored a much-improved 28 at the Combine in February

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/407793

Well, I liked the move and Gibbs was obviously compelled to make it if neither Mark or Pat were going to work out (which at the time was looking like a real possibility). Campbell seems to have a lot of tools and success as a starter. The fact that we could end up sending them a #3x pick is just a bonus.

One small point is that you're using the results of his second wonderlic (following much tutoring as you might expect). On the Indianapolis test he scored a 14. That's not Michael Irvin range, but its disturbingly low for your signal caller.

isnt his starting record in HS and COllege something insane, like 3 games lost in total... and he didnt play for a uber big time usc/miami type school where they dont lose. I'll have to check on that.

i just hope not a heath shuler....he had what a 5 on is wonderbreadlicking test?

Alot of people are second guessing Joe Gibbs BRILLIANT decision to trade for a first round pick to pick up Jason Campbell. I am personally defending this pick considering Jason Campbell will be one of the Best Surprises come mid-next year (2006 season) and/or for the 2007 season...

Ok, I am at work, but I would like to have a SERIOUS conversation with RATIONALE. Rationale includes and accurate account of a VERY good Collegiate football career, as well as the fact that he passed the WONDERLICK test amazingly high last year and had 4 offensive coordinators at Auburn.

Also, he runs a 4.6, and is 6'4.5...

With accuracy and a cannon. Let him learn gibb's offense, and watch 17 'return'...

Chuuuuch

Thing is...You shouldn't have to defend him. The people who have criticized the selection haven't the first clue of he will succeed or not.

Ask yourself this....Has Gibbs made one other decision that hasn't turned out well? Brunell, Portis, Moss, Rabach, Cooley, Washington, Griffin, Springs, Rogers, Taylor, Greg Williams all brought in since Gibbs became Team President. Not too shabby.

It would be nice to have an intelligent conversation about JC... but the lack of reporting on him by the local media is astounding. Sometimes I forget he's even on the roster... I have to remind myself that we have a first round draft pick at QB on the team :doh:

Weve got 2 first round qbs on the team actually ;)

No one has said anything negative about Campbell.

If you hadnt just mentioned him, I wouldve forgotten he was even on the team.

But alright, if you want to defend him, ill lob some meat at you.

Please explain to my why Gibbs felt it was necessary to trade 3 future draft picks for a low first round pick to draft a qb when we spent a first rounder on Ramsey 4 years ago. Also, what to you think of the argument that he was effective in college due to the fact that he simply needed to manage a game with BOTH Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown to hand off to and a great defense.

Also, if you want "rationale" please fact check statements such as his 40 time and Wunderlic test. I see 4.73 in the 40 and 14 on the Wunderlic.

It was a brilliant pick because Joe Gibbs realizes the value of talented quarterbacks. He could bring 2or3 very good people or future draft picks if Brunell, or Ramsey really starts to shine for the next several years. I honestly think he will start in 2 years when Brunell is retiring, and Ramsey gets traded. Just an opinion. I think that Gibbs had definitely structured this team to win now for years to come. When Williams takes over, he will have a lot to work with. The one thing Gibbs knew when he retired the first time, our talent wasn't there, and it would take a while to rebuild.

How's this for rationale: This thread is inane because Campbell has done nothing, positive or negative, that gives us any insight whatsoever on his future worth to this team. The only thing we know so far is that we spent a first round pick on someone that hasnt done anything YET. QB's in the NFL are a crap shoot. For every 1st rounder that has become a good qb, i can name one that has been a bust. Lets just hope Campbell is the former.

You cant defend him and you cant bash him. He just is.

My old man is a Broncos fan now and all year he has been talking about the great draft pick the Broncos will get when the Skins go 6-10 again. I told him to enjoy his 32nd pick overall.

Cambell will be the best QB to come out of that draft

To bad we couldn't get Alex Smith:laugh:

I think the fact that Campbell had 3 or 4 different offensive coodinators at Auburn yet still led them to an undefeated season in the SEC his senior yr suggests that he's no dummy.

I became a big fan of his when watching the Sr Bowl. His field presence was amazing, he took a team of all stars and was truly leading them. He was calm, poised, doing enough to avoid the rush, then making nice, accurate throws. I actually felt he would be better than Rogers and maybe A Smith before I had any idea we'd end up with him. I think he's going to end up being a great Gibbs QB, he's humble, hard working, and a good leader that everyone in his home town looks up to.

I'm not sure we really needed to give up what we did to get him, but I do think he's going to be really good in '06 or '07.

Archived