Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley only makes $305,000!

Addicted2Skins

I think 340 is vet minimum..cooley is obviously on his rookie contract...and for a 3rd rounder...what do you expect...He also got a signing bonus that probably isn't being accounted for in that salary figure as well. He'll get a new deal probably at the end of next season...

Hey, I thought the league minimum was $340,000 and I heard on Terry Bradshaw's most bang for your buck Cooley makes $305,000. Is this true? What's the league min.? Wow, He must make the same or less than Frost! That ain't right. Cooley deserves a raise!:helmet: #47

Be aware of your words. Because I'll bet that in a year or two, when he's a free agent and asking for a big dollar contract, you or some of the other fans here (Lavar Bashers maybe) will come out saying he is greedy and is only thinking about himself and how he should love the redskins so much that he gives back the money he makes, ... etc. etc. blah blah blah.

Chris Cooley's numbers look like this:

Drafted third round, No. 81 overall.

Signing bonus: $655,000.

Base salaries: $230,000 (2004); $305,000 (2005); $385,000 (2006); $460,000 (2007). Total: four years, $2,035,000. Salary cap charge: $366,750.

Looks like he gets a free BMW and other perks from his commercials, so he's doing OK for 23-year old.

Also keep into consideration... most guys don't get the same opportunities that Cooley has enjoyed. So while Cooley may in fact be underpaid.... he certainly cannot complain that he hasn't been given an opportunity (as a 3rd round pick that a coach traded UP for). And that's a reward unto itself.

Chris Cooley's numbers look like this:

Drafted third round, No. 81 overall.

Signing bonus: $655,000.

Base salaries: $230,000 (2004); $305,000 (2005); $385,000 (2006); $460,000 (2007). Total: four years, $2,035,000. Salary cap charge: $366,750.

Looks like he gets a free BMW and other perks from his commercials, so he's doing OK for 23-year old.

Thanks for the break down.

Don't think for a second Cooley doesn't know he's underpaid. I've heard him say he's paid lower than some veteran backups on the team who play minimally. Of course, he also knows his pay-day will come. I'm sure he anxiously awaits.

Of course he's not making what a TE with his stats would make if he was a free agent.

Given the season he's had, I'm sure Cooley's agent will be looking for a new contract AFTER the Skins win the Superbowl.

Antonio Gates reportedly got $4M per year on his new deal, having played for $380k (and a signing bonus of $7k!) in his previous pro-bowl season.

I'm sure Cooley's agent will argue that he is now up there with Franks/Shockey/Gonzales/Crumpler and deserves that kind of money.

Cooley represents a personal case that will be interesting to see how the Redskins front office deals with.

Will we see our front office change its ways and start offering young talanted players a nice pay raise prior to the end of their contract in order to keep them on the squad? Or will we continue to let the contracts expire and then have the free market decide the value of the player.

I hope we do see a shift in this approach to player retention from our front office. Not so much in the stars, but in the quality players that you hope to make up the bulk of your roster.

Continuity does make a tremendous difference in a team and this is a great way to achieve it. Lock up your young guns and emerging players before they reach the open market and before they reach their highest value. While you lose a year of ' bargin basement' player value, what you should get is continuity that over the term of the deal is friendly.

The Eagles (until last year) approached player contracts this way and the Patriots are a good example as well.

Cooley is a great test case for the Skins. Looking at the roster there are about 6 young guys that should be targeted for long term deals.

Franlkly, I would prefer this offseason to be about taking care of our own players and forgo the big name signing. There will be a player or two out there that are tempting, but I think the biggest overall bang for the bucks we have would be spent on keeping the guys we already have in the locker room around for years to come.

Hey, I thought the league minimum was $340,000 and I heard on Terry Bradshaw's most bang for your buck Cooley makes $305,000. Is this true? What's the league min.? Wow, He must make the same or less than Frost! That ain't right. Cooley deserves a raise!:helmet: #47

If he can learn to hold on to the ball , He'll probably get more.

Archived