Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ray Brown's Comments: Did we get out-schemed by Monte?

TahoeSkin

Ray Brown was on SportNite this evening and said that the Tampon Defense had some looks that they didn't expect (like how the LBs lined up) and that the Skins didn"t do a good job of adjusting. It kinda brought to mind something I noticed during Gibbs Post Game Presser. He looked so dejected, and AFTER a playoff WIN no less! At the time, I got this feeling that Gibbs was in shock, having realized that Monte Kiffin had totally out schemed him. Did anyone else get that impression?

I mean, I'm sure it's possible. The guy is a top 3 Defensive coordinator and, at this point, I don't think our offense is at that level.

Would it be the end of the world if Gibbs and the offensive staff had their hands full with the #1 D and its talented coordinator?

I think it's safe to say that GW out-schemed Gruden too. Both Ds performed brilliantly and both Os struggled to tread water last weekend.

It happens. Guys out scheme each other. It sure looked like Monte had Gibbs' number in that game. Gibbs did it to Parcells, Coughlin did it to Williams, Williams did it back to Coughlin. It's a big chess game with the coaches.

It couldn't be that the man was just tired from the whole ordeal of going into his first playoff game after 13 years againts the NFC South champions, in their house, with an insanely rowdy and loud playoff crowd that knew we called the first game a fluke and wanted to prove a point? I don't doubt that Kiffin threw him some curves, but I don't think Gibbs was schooled. He just looked a little hung over emotionally from the intensity and the gravity of all that took place to me. All in all, I think Gibbs may have been more frustrated at his offense's execution than shell-shocked by Kiffin. That's just my opinion of what I saw. Of course I'm going off of Gibbs presser, because I haven't seen the Ray Brown interview.

I remember a short sound byte of an interview with Coach Gibbs from before last season where he talks about one of the reasons he had decided to come back to the NFL was because he viewed both his return and his subsequent success upon said return as an enormous challenge.

He commented on how he always relished a challenge and that this was one challenge that he was "really looking forward to".

Joe Gibbs likely felt very confident about his gameplan heading into the Tampa game. However, he was basically out-schemed after being out-schemed a week earlier by the similarly complex defense of Jim Johnson in Philly.

Can Gibbs produce offensively? That is his latest challenge. And should he continue to win, the defenses will only get progressively more difficult as he moves on.

Gibbs will be the most prepared offensively this week as he has been all year.

:helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

Say what you want, and clearly their D threw us for a loop, but it wasn't all one sided. The halfback toss and the pump and go fake slip screen both worked perfectly from a tactical sense, but failed due to poor throws (the former being not so much Clinton's fault as the inability of the blockers to keep the tacklers away from his legs). Those were both good for six if executed, Moss was wide open on both.

The offense didn't look very good early in December at Arizona, and Gibbs knew it. He obviously took it very seriously and worked hard after that game, because the offense reeled off a pair of 35 point games after that.

Hopefully, the same thing will happen now. Gibbs will lock himself in Redskins Park all week and figure out ways to get the offense rolling against a very good, but not great, Seattle defense.

Here's what Portis said about the game plan, on the front of Redskins.com

With the lead, Portis said the offense played somewhat conservatively in the second half. That played a role in the Redskins' offense totaling just 120 yards of offense, the lowest ever for a winning playoff game participant.

Said Portis: "We got a lead early and I think that altered our game plan. We basically ran on first and second down and threw on third.

"Any time a defense figures out what you're doing, it's going to be pretty hard to move the ball. We just wanted to keep the lead and find a way to win--and that's what we did."

Ray Brown was on SportNite this evening and said that the Tampon Defense had some looks that they didn't expect (like how the LBs lined up) and that the Skins didn"t do a good job of adjusting. It kinda brought to mind something I noticed during Gibbs Post Game Presser. He looked so dejected, and AFTER a playoff WIN no less! At the time, I got this feeling that Gibbs was in shock, having realized that Monte Kiffin had totally out schemed him. Did anyone else get that impression?

That's Gibbs happy look. You should know that by now. Do you ever catch the sour look on his face whenever we score a touchdown?

I must say that Ol' Ray is rather articulate, particularly for a lineman! I was really impressed.

Particularly for a lineman... Bad statement! Lineman are performing broadcasts... TV, radio all the same...

I don't believe it's fair to sterotype lineman as big dumb slugs...

Good for Ray Brown. Stinky, Golic, Long, Baldinger, Cross all participate just to name of few of the top of my head...

Yes, but my question still is: Did anyone else get the impression Gibbs was shell shocked?

Yes, me too. Honestly, not to be a downer, but Tampa's defensive scheme was PERFECT for shutting us down, and I'm paranoid that Seattle will just do the same thing. Moving up the safeties and spreading out the linebackers to stop our sweeps, combined with perfect execution, basically handcuffed us.

Archived