Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

May the best team win this Saturday

Seahawk80

Hello 'Skins fans. Just thought I pop in here for a bit to wish your team good luck against the Seahawks. No doubt this game is going to be a great one - both teams have done well in the regular season. I must say that I was impressed with the way the Redskins turned their season around late in the season by winning their last five games to earn a playoff appearance. They didn't play as well against Tampa Bay, considering the amount of yards they put up, but I realize that Washington has a lot more potential than this.

We all know what happened the last time our teams faced each other, but Seattle will definately be hungry this Saturday. They are getting five starters back from injury, so I have faith that they should be clicking on all cylinders. It will be interesting to see how well Mark Brunell handles the Seahawk defense, especially in the red zone, considering that the Seahawks are very tough there at home (avg. 12 - 13 pts/game at Qwest). I seem to notice a lot of Redskin fans saying that if their team can stop Shaun, the game is theirs. Well, it is true that he is a big part of Seattle's offense, however, he is by no means the only weapon they have. Their receivers have greatly improved since last season, and Hasslebeck has matured as well. But, we will see with how well they handle the Redskins defense.

That said, here is a breakdown of what I believe will be factors in the game.

What Seattle must do to win:

1. Avoid turnovers - Washington jumped all over Tampa Bay on that last Saturday. In the regular season, Seattle made few mistakes in this area, so I am confident that they should have no trouble in this area.

2. Agressive pressure on Mark Brunell - make him 2nd guess his targets.

3. Give Shuan the ball. I for one have confidence in the offensive line to find holes for him, but failing that then Hassleck to either Joe Jurvicious, DJ Hackett, or Bobby Engram.

4. 60,000 rabid fans screaming when the Redskins have the ball = false starts aplenty. ;)

5. Avoid costly penalties, such as pass interference. Marcus Trufant did this a few times during the regular season, so he better watch what he's doing.

What Washington must do to win:

1. Ignore the crowd noise

2. Exploit weaknesses of the 'Hawks secondary (It's my opinion that this is a big weakness)

3. Stop or slow down Shaun, put up pressure against Hasslebeck, and cover the receivers

Man, I can't wait for the game on Saturday.

Seahawks 28

Washington 27 (Come on, you wouldn't expect a fan to root against his team, right? ;) )

Pretty strong first post. Welcome. :cheers:

I think your analysis is pretty solid. I wouldn't call your D secondary a "big" weakness, but I think it's your "biggest" weakness, on a strong all around football team.

Hasselbeck's done a good job of not making mistakes. Something like 22 touchdowns and only 9 ints. He's not going to win a lot of games by himself, but he's not going to lose many either. He kinda reminds me of Brunell in that respect.

I do think containing Alexander would give us a HUGE leg up in this game. But that's a helluva lot easier said than done. Unfortunately, this Redskin team isn't real predictable as far as rush defense. Tiki went over 200 in one game, held to around 80 in the other. Lately, our run defense has been stout though. That HAS to continue for us to have a shot. Alexander is the best back in the league right now, bar none. He'll put us to the test. (Again.)

Honestly, with all due respect, your receivers don't scare me as far as getting deep on a healthier Redskin secondary. I think we'll be OK there.

You guys, of course, have to keep Santana Moss in check. If he gets free a few times early, it's going to be a long day. (And will force you to back of the line, opening up room for Portis.)

I expect an NFC East type game. Two heavyweights slugging the crap out of each other for 60 minutes. May the best team win.

BTW, you're only bringing 60,000 fans? We get 1/3 more than that for a regular season game. Sorry, I had to.

^^ Take it easy man... confidence, not arrogance.

And they have faced a D like ours. In week 4 of the regular season. :cool:

I enjoy your team Seahkawk80, but I have to hope we come out the better team this time around. We'll see who plays better. Both teams have a good chance of winning this one, and I see you understand that too.

Good analysis Seahawk80, we appreciate fans like you. Hope you stay around here and post often. =)

Thanks for the kind replies. Here are a few extra thoughts that I thought I'd share.

There is a lot of talk about how easy Seattle's schedule was this season. I can understand the arguement, but it isn't up to the team to pick who they play. They only can play the schedule they are given, and do the best they can. Six of the season's games are against one's own division and I will agree that the NFC West is a weak division, but considering where Seattle is geographically, they are stuck there for now.

Seattle won quite a few close calls - some call that luck, and maybe it is. However, considering the history of this team in the last couple of seasons these were games that they would've lost in the past. So I wouldn't call that luck, I'd call it gaining confidence. It gives an opportunity to learn from mistakes made. Looking at the game they lost against Washington, I'd say that they played a heck of a game. Overcoming a 14 - 3 deficit to tie the game with little time left is what I call gaining confidence. Unfortunately for Seattle, a missed field goal cost them that game.

It is true that the Seahawks franchise has not won a playoff game since '84. However, it is my opinion that fact is misleading. Each playoff appearance had different teams on the field. The current team was here last year, and in the playoff game against Green Bay (mostly), where Hasslebeck ate his own words. So in my book, this current team is 0 - 2. Of course, that is by no means anything to be proud of, but statistically it isn't as bad as being 0 - 4 (playoff appearances in '88 and '99). Actually, four playoff appearances in as many years isn't really that great, either. I blame that on the fact that Seattle had ineffective coaching (Dennis Erickson, Tom Flores) in the 90's and an inneffectual moron by the name of Ken Behring. Yes, I really hated that guy. It was a sad day for a Seahawk fan when the local Nordstrom family sold the team, and the jerk who replaced them ran the team into the ground. Thank god those days are over.

I am noticing a lot of Seahawks fans are whining about the lack of respect the Seahawks are getting. Some call it east coast bias, because that is where the media is at and focused. I say to those fans - "Quit your bellyaching!" Respect isn't a right, but it's something earned. I don't put a lot of salt in what the so-called "experts" say. Sure, a lot of them were once great players themselves, and they are knowledgeable. However, who is it that really controls what they say? Yep, you guessed it, the TV execs, the magazine and newspaper editors, etc. And we all know exactly how much playing experience they have, right? ;) Okay, that's just an opinion of mine - probably that's not the case. However, I'm sure that the players and coaches themselves don't give a ferret's fat, furry fanny what they are saying. They are concentrating more on playing the game to their fullest potential.

Okay, I've already said too much. Bottom line - it's going to be an awesome game come Saturday. Speaking as a Seahawk fan, I say that they have an excellent chance to win. 22 - 4 at Qwest Field since it opened in 2002, including last year's playoff loss.

Welcome,

Seahawk80

I see it this way. In order for Seattle to win they will have to do three things which leaves them in a quandary.

First stop Clinton ( 4 men needed )

Second stop Santana ( 3 men needed)

Third pressure Brunell ( 4 men needed )

Total 11 men needed

Quandary... Cooley + Sellers = Seahawks demise

Welcome Seahawk80...good post. If our D plays with the same intensity as it did against Tampa -AND- our Offense actually makes a showing...there is no doubt in my mind that the Burgundy and Gold will be playing in the NFC Championship game. Good Luck and here's to an injury free game...

What Seattle must do to win:

1. Avoid turnovers - Washington jumped all over Tampa Bay on that last Saturday. In the regular season, Seattle made few mistakes in this area, so I am confident that they should have no trouble in this area.

2. Agressive pressure on Mark Brunell - make him 2nd guess his targets.

3. Give Shuan the ball. I for one have confidence in the offensive line to find holes for him, but failing that then Hassleck to either Joe Jurvicious, DJ Hackett, or Bobby Engram.

4. 60,000 rabid fans screaming when the Redskins have the ball = false starts aplenty. ;)

5. Avoid costly penalties, such as pass interference. Marcus Trufant did this a few times during the regular season, so he better watch what he's doing.

What Washington must do to win:

1. Ignore the crowd noise

2. Exploit weaknesses of the 'Hawks secondary (It's my opinion that this is a big weakness)

3. Stop or slow down Shaun, put up pressure against Hasslebeck, and cover the receivers

Looks like the Seahawks have more to worry about than the Redskins.

Good luck to an injury free game for both sides.

Seahawk80 Welcome

You should be the benchmark for opposing fans who wish to post on our message boards. Very informative and for the most part unbiased. (Not unlike Broncos, Giants, Eagles, Bucs and Cowboys fans who have talked far more trash than the law should allow and aside from the Broncos all have left with their tail between their legs when the games really meant something).

IMO I think that the Seahawks are a sound football team. Balanced Offense and Defense but I think you guys are putting alot of focus (and well deserved) on Clinton Portis. Don't forget we have what I consider is one of the more underrated RB's in the game in Ladell Betts. While Shaun Alexander is a great back (no doubt about it) and deserves the MVP for his season, the Seahawks do have to consider their strength of schedule as a detriment (you can't pick who you play).

The Skins I believe need someone besides Moss/Cooley to step up. Their most glaring weakness on Offense is that they don't have a legitimate No#2 receiver. Jacobs is no where near being a #4 at this point. Thrash is a #3 receiver (even though he's questionable with a fractured thumb) Jimmy Farris and Antonio Brown have speed and aside from Brown Receiving Kickoffs and Punts haven't done anything at reciever. With that being said I do think Coach Joe will implement something to offset a clear weakness in the team.

As far as crowd noise is concerned, 60,000 screaming fans is no where near the 90,000+ that FedEx produces so crowd noise i don't think will be as much of a factor.

We're already +2 in turnover ratio in the playoffs (after having 17 takeaways and 17 sacks in the final 5 games of the season).

The difference in this game will come down to coaching. M. Holmgren vs. J. Gibbs (I give the advantage to Gibbs not because I'm a homer, but because Gibbs is a master at second half adjustments and Holmgren has been known to make a killer coaching call. That's not to say that he isn't a good coach, just a fact.

I echo the sentiments of my Burgundy and Gold family in wishing a safe, hard-fought game.

Final Score

Redskins 24

Seahawks 17

Guest GibbSkins11

ur right its gonna be a good game between two tuff teams ,yall should win , but i believe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause: :helmet: :applause:

Great post Seahawk80.

I agree with your analysis. I hope the score turns out differently. I guess for that to happen (realistically), our defense will have to force your offense into a couple mistakes. To be honest with you, I don't see how our offense gets the 27 points you predicted unless they do that to begin with!!

I think if the game gets to be that high-scoring, you guys win it. The Skins have a shot if they keep the game lower-scoring...something in the high teens or low 20s.

Good luck, but not too much!

Good showing seahawk 80. Its rare that an opposing fan can think rationally and lucidly regarding a pending war. Man, I am one jacked up skins fan and I realize your fans in that crazy architechtually designed stadium will be loud. The way the roof laps over is like how RFK was in the old days. Fed EX, the space ship it is, is ferociously loud with 90,000+ when we are winning and put a solid product on the feild...like against the cowboys and giants. Anyway, your stadium is loud and that is really my only concern. Week 4 is a long time ago. just like the seahawks have come a long way, our D has come from another planet.

That strengh of schedule post is something I recognized a long time ago. although, even though I believe we are more battle tested and hardened soldiers, I realize that the seahawks are more rested. Nevertheless, we have excellent massage therapists and feed off of the away crowd. the louder you cheer, the more fired up we get! I read an article that said that the seahawks defense has a hard time hearing the def signals because the crown is screaming so loud to force false starts. maybe it will balace out when our d is on the feild.

Gibbs is the master and tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of Coach Gibbs initial hiring by Mr. Cooke. A very nice thought on the eve of this important game!

Good showing seahawk 80. Its rare that an opposing fan can think rationally and lucidly regarding a pending war. Man, I am one jacked up skins fan and I realize your fans in that crazy architechtually designed stadium will be loud. The way the roof laps over is like how RFK was in the old days. Fed EX, the space ship it is, is ferociously loud with 90,000+ when we are winning and put a solid product on the feild...like against the cowboys and giants. Anyway, your stadium is loud and that is really my only concern. Week 4 is a long time ago. just like the seahawks have come a long way, our D has come from another planet.

That strengh of schedule post is something I recognized a long time ago. although, even though I believe we are more battle tested and hardened soldiers, I realize that the seahawks are more rested. Nevertheless, we have excellent massage therapists and feed off of the away crowd. the louder you cheer, the more fired up we get! I read an article that said that the seahawks defense has a hard time hearing the def signals because the crown is screaming so loud to force false starts. maybe it will balace out when our d is on the feild.

Gibbs is the master and tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of Coach Gibbs initial hiring by Mr. Cooke. A very nice thought on the eve of this important game!

Archived