Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Playing the Respect Card vs. the Favorite (Springs quote)

bubba9497

"No one is giving us a chance, because it's Seattle," right cornerback Shawn Springs said. "I was watching [television] and they laughed about the Redskins going to Seattle and they laughed at our offense. They talked so bad about our offense not knowing that we played Tampa Bay, and they were extremely impressive."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/08/AR2006010800964.html

Thanks Bubba. I know EXACTLY what Shawn is talking about. You turn on ESPN and that's all they were talking about was in their words how "terrible" our offense was. Heck, even Tom Jackson gave his Prime Time disapointment to our offense, and we even won the darn game!

Yea I know they didn't do so well against the Buccs D. But if you're going to judge some one then you should take into account their whole body of work, and we have had some stellar games this year.

It doesn't matter though, all those TV people are is opinionated football fans that just get to sit in front of a camera, that's all. They're no different than any Dallas or Philly fan with an opinion. That's all it is. Is their opinion. And their opinions don't matter. What matters is our team goes out there and plays their hearts out and plays well. Winning. That's all that matters. We'll show them. We'll earn our respect.

In the words of Fred Sanford: "Bubba.. You sittin' on top of a GOLD mine!" I think we may have found our first bullintin board material.

Very encouraging -- I LOVE the way this team feeds off of being disrespected. They have a pride factor which quite frankly reminds me of the Patriots. There is a family feeling that Gibbs has brought here. It seems like 24 is more upset that his teammates were being insulted than himself being criticized. teams with this "us against the world" attitude are typically very unified, motivated, and dangerous.

I am just curious as to where 24 would rate his health right now. I would say it is optimistc to think he is over 80% but I truly hope I'm wrong.

Does anybody get the impression that Joe Gibbs is fattening the pigs for slaughter?

What I mean is, they showed last night how once we got up by 14 on the Bucs, that Gibbs started playing it close to the vest. They showed how the Bucs were stacking the line with 8 and 10 men and we still tried to run the ball.

Then after the game, Brunnell had a "sh** eating" grin on his face that people get when they know something we don't.

I just have a feeling that Gibbs is setting up the 'hawks for something they aren't expecting. Almost as if Gibbs said once we were up, "let's save some of this for the Seahawks. We're up by 14, with our defense, let's not show the Seahawks everything we have on offense."

I hope that's the case, in any event, I don't think that anyone can truly say that the Skins were pulling out all the stops on offense after getting the lead....this was nothing like the Skins offense we've been seeing of late. Taking into account the Bucs good 'D', the playcalling for the Skins just SCREAMED "kill the clock, kill the clock....don't get anyone hurt".

Thanks Bubba. I know EXACTLY what Shawn is talking about. You turn on ESPN and that's all they were talking about was in their words how "terrible" our offense was. Heck, even Tom Jackson gave his Prime Time disapointment to our offense, and we even won the darn game!

Yea I know they didn't do so well against the Buccs D. But if you're going to judge some one then you should take into account their whole body of work, and we have had some stellar games this year.

It doesn't matter though, all those TV people are is opinionated football fans that just get to sit in front of a camera, that's all. They're no different than any Dallas or Philly fan with an opinion. That's all it is. Is their opinion. And their opinions don't matter. What matters is our team goes out there and plays their hearts out and plays well. Winning. That's all that matters. We'll show them. We'll earn our respect.

In the words of Fred Sanford: "Bubba.. You sittin' on top of a GOLD mine!" I think we may have found our first bullintin board material.

Exactly...F the media dallas/iggles fans... what the hell do they know? what we do know is that we won the game and go to seattle to win another.....they'll still talk crap.

Does anybody get the impression that Joe Gibbs is fattening the pigs for slaughter?

What I mean is, they showed last night how once we got up by 14 on the Bucs, that Gibbs started playing it close to the vest. They showed how the Bucs were stacking the line with 8 and 10 men and we still tried to run the ball.

Then after the game, Brunnell had a "sh** eating" grin on his face that people get when they know something we don't.

I just have a feeling that Gibbs is setting up the 'hawks for something they aren't expecting. Almost as if Gibbs said once we were up, "let's save some of this for the Seahawks. We're up by 14, with our defense, let's not show the Seahawks everything we have on offense."

Now, do I think Gibbs got conservative (as Marino said it "full flaps") with a 14-point lead? I suspect so. (Although, let's face it, folks: Joe Gibbs does not think that a 14 point lead, 5:00 into the game, is time to start running down the clock.)

OTOH, for example, I guarantee you Joe Gibbs did not tell Brunell to throw away half of his passes.

There are only 8 teams left out of 32. Joe knows what he is doing. We didn't throw the ball around on purpose. We have a great defense and sometimes you ride it.

In Seattle, if we shut down Alexander early, you are going to see a great game. Nobody wants to play us right now. We are dangerous. Our defense is scary the way we hit you. Look for Joe to pick his spots to Moss deep on Saturday. More play action is going to bring more points.

Going into Wild Card Weekend, ESPN radio phoned the local sportts reporters in each playoff city for interviews. They asked each of them virtually identical questions, and got virtually identical answers.

Every one pretty much said that on offense, the home team would try to play ball controll, grind it out, and limit mistakes.

And every one said that the key to shutting down the visiting team was stopping the run and making their QB beat them.

I expect to hear the same thing this week.

(And I HOPE to hear people saying the same thing, about the Skins, NEXT week, too.)

I think you guys are right and I also hope that's the case. I got the "Run out the clock" mood directly after we scored that second touchdown.

It certainly is exciting to think that Coach Gibbs might have something special in store for the Seahawks that we don't know about.

Well you know they aren't going in there with the same game plan.

Of course if the Fowl spot us 14 like the Bucs did then they might do something similar and try to take advantage of turnovers.

Archived