Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What a perfectly delicious set up we have here.

Art

The Redskins are the lowest seed on the NFC side. They are heading to face the No. 1 seed after a long flight. A team with a fairly stiff defense and excellent offense feeling good after a week off. The Redskins performed miserably on Saturday on one side of the ball. The tremendous defense obviously doesn't count. Winning doesn't count. The memorable factor of this game to the world is our offense is horrible.

The Redskins were the No. 11 offense in football. Inconsistent, to be sure. Deteriorating at times, figured out at other times, but, nonetheless, No. 11. The Redskins were the No. 13 scoring team with a bullet to end the season. A team having won four of five games by double digits.

None of this matters because the Redskins put up 120 yards of offense and we're facing the Seahawks. And I can't stop smiling.

The Redskins have accomplished more than most people imagined to start the year. They've accomplished much more than I thought they could given I didn't see the level of QB play being sufficient most of the year and it turned out to be far better than expected.

Mark Brunell clearly appears off the last two weeks. He's not making throws or taking any sort of reasonable risk to make plays. Losing on the road in Seattle is something the world expects. If it happens we will be left feeling pretty good we are emerging as something as a team, with clear direction to improve further.

We probably won't be depressed beyond all measure is the point should we lose.

But, the thing about this game is it's the kind of game that is set up beautifully for a perception changing event if we win. Nothing will change the perception if we lose. We will likely not be predicted to be in the playoffs next year as the media finally figures out teams make great turnarounds on a yearly basis and they will pick the Eagles to be back and us to go away.

That's all fine.

We weren't expected to start well or end strong or be in the playoffs or win. How we've often won has yielded one-sided comments from much of the media, unable to reconcile the importance of winning with their own passionate need to believe nothing Dan Snyder touches can work.

Thus the beauty of this game.

Should we put together one of those lovely games where it all comes together, on the scale of the Cowboys game, on this stage, we become the Super Bowl favorite entering next year. We become legitimate more than just now. There's a carry over to this that is immeasurable. When you win the game you are so clearly not supposed to win and should you do it remarkably convincingly, the entire paradigm used to evaluate the Redskins changes in one sweeping performance.

Another win like the Tampa win and nothing really changes.

What is missed is it is certainly possible to occur.

Watching the game on the sideline and press box gives you an understanding you miss watching it on television. It wasn't the offense that was bad. It was Brunell. We all know he played miserably. What we don't really know is everything else was there to play beautifully. He HAD options he didn't take. He had options he took and couldn't make.

The Moss pass down the sideline was set up as a kill shot missed. On a third and long earlier he had matchups deep he should have taken, but dumped it off. On his double skipped pass to Moss he had Thrash across the middle and Moss open but missed.

The offense could have gone from a historically bad game to a very good one if Brunell simply looks anything like the guy he has been most of the year. And if he does that this week, Seattle won't know what hit them. Neither will any one else :).

Sorry im reasonably new. You watch the games on the field???

Also, that post was simply great. Its right in almost every single way. You sum up the tendencies of the NFL and the media well. How great would it be to pull out a win and prove to everyone we are a team to contend with this year and the next.

It's too bad that stem cell research has been banned in the US...it would be cool if we could regenerate acl's, and roll back biological time, MB in a body 6 years younger would be a major force.

In spite of his shortcomings though, he has (along with the coaches and rest of the team) gotten us this far. I think the emotion on this team is such that the killer instinct will arise, and surprise us all.....

I think it is a bit unfair to say the problem is all Brunell. I give the man props for the effort so far, and the rest of the team. JG throttled down the O in Tampa, to reduce the attack surface and not allow the Bucs D to come up with a momentum changing play. Portis is Bruised. They played well enough to win, and no more......good enough for me.

Good post. I'm assuming that despite your criticism of Brunell's mistakes, you are stating that they can be corrected next week, and that we coudl see an entirely different offense. The fact is, Brunell played poorly, while the rest of the offense was providing possibilities missed. If that is the case, then I whole-heartedly agree. I hope Seattle underestimates the offense next week.

Sorry im reasonably new. You watch the games on the field???

Also, that post was simply great. Its right in almost every single way. You sum up the tendencies of the NFL and the media well. How great would it be to pull out a win and prove to everyone we are a team to contend with this year and the next.

Yes, reps from this site attend all games and watch from the sideline or press box or both :).

Altair,

Trust me, when you watch the game over you'll realize it's all Brunell. The offense is scaled back because of the lead, to be sure, but, also because Mark is struggling to complete easy passes, allowing teams to box us up a little. It's ok. I like Mark and generally find him to be a smart QB who helps us win even when he can't throw -- though the interception was a bad idea before it left his hands as I could see what he was doing and kept saying to myself, "No way he throws it. No way. DAMN. He did." To me I believe Mark is just not physically right at the moment. No other way to explain how he's missing some of the things he's missing the last two weeks. Remember, against Philly Gibbs was putting EVERYONE into the routes early. He was going four and five guys in patterns. We NEVER do that. He stopped once it became clear Brunell wasn't hitting anyone :). But you might see something similar this week against Seattle to generate something positive.

Herrmag,

I'm not sure what to make of Brunell. I've watched him all year at various stages and he is drastically off right now. That's all I can say. I don't know what it is. I think another week should help him physically -- if he's physically not feeling well -- and he could improve dramatically. I hope :).

I agree with almost everything you say Art, except any scenario we would be talked about as a Super Bowl favorite for next year. Here's the reason - as you point out, our weak spot at this point is QB. It's hard to figure that Ramsey won't be traded this offseason - obviously we'll lose him after next year for nothing. So We'll enter next year, posibly with Brunell as a starter and Campbell as the #2 and a Hasselbeck type as #3. I think it's pretty miraculous that Brunell has gotten us this far considering his somewhat fragile nature. I think virtually no one thought after game one that Brunell could last the whole season. He's not going to be MORE mobile next year so one would have to suppose, under my scenario, that at some point Campbell will be starting next year and you can't be a Super Bowl favorite with such a young and inexperienced QB. If Brunell was 31 MAN O MAN we would be sitting pretty for next year.

I'm not sure what to make of Brunell. I've watched him all year at various stages and he is drastically off right now. That's all I can say. I don't know what it is. I think another week should help him physically -- if he's physically not feeling well -- and he could improve dramatically. I hope :).

What's your feeling Art, any chance we'll see one of Gibbs famous gut feelings strike or is he going to go down with Brunell even if we continue to struggle offensively against the Seahawks?

I think it is a bit unfair to say the problem is all Brunell. I give the man props for the effort so far, and the rest of the team. JG throttled down the O in Tampa, to reduce the attack surface and not allow the Bucs D to come up with a momentum changing play. Portis is Bruised. They played well enough to win, and no more......good enough for me.

Very true,

Ya see Brunell may not be himself physically, but mentally he still is the leader that got us this far. Not to be remissed, he still made some pretty nice throws in the game and had a helluva scramble to keep the field goal drive going. But the key is the play calling and execution. You cant expect Brunell to hit " Thrash accross the middle" on the ONE 3rd down passing play called and the defensive pressure being as intense as it was. If he had consecutive plays to get into a groove then that would assist him better. But as Portis put it.. "To run on first and second down making 3rd an obvious passing down, makes it hard to execute against the #1 defense in the league."

All-in-all I agree that the Redskins can really spike the punch if they can pull off a "balanced" win against the seahawks. The media and other teams will be in a drunken stuper wondering where this team came from, and how they continue to do the impossible.

What's your feeling Art, any chance we'll see one of Gibbs famous gut feelings strike or is he going to go down with Brunell even if we continue to struggle offensively against the Seahawks?

The only way Brunell isn't in the game is if he's hurt or we're out of the game (up or down). He's the QB. Now, he throws three or four more of those passes across the field like that to an obviously covered guy and all bets are off :).

jason campbell sat for a year and i dont care what you say learning behind the people he has in front of him is going to make him play very well when he gets his shot. Name another offseason move Gibbs has made that has backfired. People may have said they were going to backfire but in the end Gibbs just proves why he is in the hall of fame. Campbell when he gets his chance at some point next season will play better than expected.

jason campbell sat for a year and i dont care what you say learning behind the people he has in front of him is going to make him play very well when he gets his shot. Name another offseason move Gibbs has made that has backfired. People may have said they were going to backfire but in the end Gibbs just proves why he is in the hall of fame. Campbell when he gets his chance at some point next season will play better than expected.

It is very rare for a non-veteran qb to lead his team far into the playoffs. Eli will probably be a great qb - his first playoff game was a phenomenol bust. Even Big Ben didn't do much in his first playoffs. I think Gibbs' pick of Campbell will prove to be a good one - but him leading us deep into the playoffs in his first year playing is unrealistic - even if he turns out to be a HOF qb.

I don't know if there's another fanbase in the world as paranoid as the redksins fanbase.

I imagine that we'll be considered super bowl favorites next year. WE don't have that many holes and you can imagine that if we pick up a reasonable number 2 WR in the offseason the press is going to start raving.

"with the acuisition of (blank) and the return of david patton, the redskins are posed to couple a dominant offense with one of the stoutest and intimidating defenses in the league."

etc.

It will be the 2000 offseason all over again.

Great Post Art!!!!!!! IM Luvin this Stuff!

I also think Brunell looks like he is off a lil, but Im sure that TB defense didnt help. I believe he will be fine next week. After playin TB, Seattles D might not seem so bad. I know theyre still a good D and not to be takin lightly though.

Man these posts are gettin me fired UP!!!!! We have a GREAT chance next week!!!!:D

Art,

Do you also think a reason for the lack of production was Gibbs trying to sit on the lead in Tampa and playing it safe (ala not allowing Brunell to take strikes down the field)?

I realize precisely what the team was doing and I am going to assure you with ironclad knowledge safety wasn't designed for 9 first downs and 40 yards in the second half. Trust me my brother. Things were called to get something working and Mark was having a hard time coming through on his execution. If you're looking to pinpoint the flaw on Saturday, Brunell's struggles are more it than anything else. And, that's not a slight on Mark. I think he has to be hurt and he's doing everything he can, but, he's just not as crisp as we've seen him.

I don't know if there's another fanbase in the world as paranoid as the redksins fanbase.

I imagine that we'll be considered super bowl favorites next year. WE don't have that many holes and you can imagine that if we pick up a reasonable number 2 WR in the offseason the press is going to start raving.

"with the acuisition of (blank) and the return of david patton, the redskins are posed to couple a dominant offense with one of the stoutest and intimidating defenses in the league."

etc.

It will be the 2000 offseason all over again.

I doubt it Ig. The media got burned once before when the Skins spent all that money on Deion, Bruce Smith, etc. They don't wana make the same mistake twice. I'm sure they will go with the standard "Redskins Suck" type of predictions...

Nice assessment Art. I would add though that the O-line didn't play all that great though. Yes, Tampa was crowding the box, but even with max protection, they did get to Brunell a decent number of times. But I agree - our fortunes rest in Brunell's hands (or knee as the case may be) next week. Lets hope he's at least passable, or it is going to be a long day.

Yes, reps from this site attend all games and watch from the sideline or press box or both :).

Altair,

Trust me, when you watch the game over you'll realize it's all Brunell. The offense is scaled back because of the lead, to be sure, but, also because Mark is struggling to complete easy passes, allowing teams to box us up a little. It's ok. I like Mark and generally find him to be a smart QB who helps us win even when he can't throw -- though the interception was a bad idea before it left his hands as I could see what he was doing and kept saying to myself, "No way he throws it. No way. DAMN. He did." To me I believe Mark is just not physically right at the moment. No other way to explain how he's missing some of the things he's missing the last two weeks. Remember, against Philly Gibbs was putting EVERYONE into the routes early. He was going four and five guys in patterns. We NEVER do that. He stopped once it became clear Brunell wasn't hitting anyone :). But you might see something similar this week against Seattle to generate something positive.

Why is Gibbs so reluctant to go to Ramsey when Brunell is hindering our offense? This is playoff time we can't expect to be able to sit on leads and do nothing on offense the way we did against Tampa.

Herrmag,

I realize precisely what the team was doing and I am going to assure you with ironclad knowledge safety wasn't designed for 9 first downs and 40 yards in the second half. Trust me my brother. Things were called to get something working and Mark was having a hard time coming through on his execution. If you're looking to pinpoint the flaw on Saturday, Brunell's struggles are more it than anything else. And, that's not a slight on Mark. I think he has to be hurt and he's doing everything he can, but, he's just not as crisp as we've seen him.

If Brunell is having such problems, why won't Gibbs go to Ramsey? 41 yards is an unacceptable performance for a playoff game, don't you think?

If Brunell is having such problems, why won't Gibbs go to Ramsey? 41 yards is an unacceptable performance for a playoff game, don't you think?

So bench the man that got you here, for the kid that didn't? Let's not turn this into a Ramsey vs Brunell thread. Brunell played poorly, but it's too late to try and switch it all around.

Im just wondering, if these lower body injuries keep tallying up how long can we expect brunell to play at this kind of level??

He isnt going to get any better (i hope this isnt true) and we have a great shot at doing something with this team now. Gibbs wont be here forever either and i want to see another one for gibbs. If we put cambell, its realistic that we wont be in the playoffs next year and i doubt we would get the SB win in 2007 (which i think is gibbs last year?)

Archived