Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Stop Criticizing People's Threads" Thread...

smartestmaninamerica

Hi,

I haven't been here that long but really enjoy ExtremeSkins as a sports post. One thing that I have noticed though - the tendency for some people here to constantly refer to threads they don't like as "a waste of a thread", "stupid", "this thread sucks!", etc.

This is a public discussion for entertainment purposes. What you may find entertaining, I may not. What you may find silly, I may find informative. It is utterly subjective. If the thread is overly abusive, profane or repetitive, the mods will lock it up, transfer it or merge it. If it is a total bore and no one responds, it will filter it's way down the list so no one will ever see it anyway.

So creating posts slamming other peoples threads existence is not in the best interest of this or any other post. As a matter of fact, it could be argued that your abusing of the threader is actually more detrimental to the community than the thread itself, no matter how inane.

Hey, if you disgaree with the threader's opinion, fine, say so, but challenging their right to have that opinion is wrong. :doh:

P.S., By the way, for those clever among you who think it will be hilarious to say that THIS thread is a "waste of a thread", sorry, it's not that clever, although I fully expect it :)

I want to start a "Stop criticizing the criticizing threads." thread:cool:

Damn, didn't take you long to get tagged! That's why the mods here are the best, always on top of things :laugh:

How long are they going to make you wear that one?

I don't think being critical of a thread topic is a bad thing; however, saying a thread is "lame" or a "waste" is more casting judgement and offers little in the way of being critical IMO.

Of course if you're around long enough, you will likely see some threads that are worthy of being labeled "lame".

I don't think being critical of a thread topic is a bad thing; however, saying a thread is "lame" or a "waste" is more casting judgement and offers little in the way of being critical IMO.

Of course if you're around long enough, you will likely see some threads that are worthy of being labeled "lame".

I am guilty of being quick to judge when a thread starts. It's hard not to be. When you see a topic over and over again, and then again, and again, and again, it's hard to resist. I guess I'm always hoping someone will point out something new or insightful that nobody had mentioned, and then it turns out the same old stuff.

I am also guilty of having my threads ripped to shreds, and being treated like a red headed stepchild. It's a message board. You can't take it too seriously.

The clown avatar is given to any poster who knowingly starts a thread with false information in the subject.

9. False posts or misleading subject titles are prohibited. Deception at the expense of the audience devalues the medium and the content it provides. Violation of this rule is regarded as a serious offense.

The most infamous clowning IMO was when the Wicked Wop posted a mock Post story about the Redskins switching to 3-4 defense. Fooled everyone...Caused a tsunami of consternation that we're still trying to clean up to this day.

whats ironic is "smartestman" :rolleyes: just said this same stuff on another thread! that i just responded to him on, pointing out for the 90th time "why" some people comment on this crap. life is just too funny. :laugh:

whats ironic is "smartestman" :rolleyes: just said this same stuff on another thread! that i just responded to him on, pointing out for the 90th time "why" some people comment on this crap. life is just too funny. :laugh:

:laugh: yes it was in the thread that I started, funny thing was I wasn't criticizing any person in general, it was more on the thought of a subject being played out, and now we have this thread...

Jumbo, if I responded to someone somewhere buried in some thread, that doesn't preclude me from starting a thread regarding that subject.

Geesh :doh:

P.S., That's not "irony" by the way.

:laugh: yes it was in the thread that I started, funny thing was I wasn't criticizing any person in general, it was more on the thought of a subject being played out, and now we have this thread...

Yes we do have this thread and it needed to be said. You weren't criticizing any person in general? Of course you were. Just because YOU feel a subject has been "played out" doesn't mean others that want to continue talking about it don't have the right to discuss different nuances of the same thing. If the mods think it is overly-repetitive, they can merge it or lock it.

If you are a mod, then say so in your thread. If not, stop downing other people's threads. It's not your job and no one besides other people that like to slam threads wants to hear it.

:doh:

Jumbo, if I responded to someone somewhere buried in some thread, that doesn't preclude me from starting a thread regarding that subject.

Indeed it was, in the context of the discussion and the immediacy of the occurrence, which was a very relevant factor. Lord, dude, one of the last actions in this world you should be attempting is to instruct me on definitions or anything else related to working with the English language. Unless it's about typing :laugh: I require massive editing :( . Well, and sometimes I make very strange posts, structurally, but it's intentional.

Mi amigo, you're a very pleasant fellow with a mild penchant for being off-the-mark. I do appreciate the well-intentioned irony in your name, which I know is a bit of a self-jest, yet still is a tad revealing. But you are indeed a nice guy, and I do not enjoy addressing you in a negative fashion, so I intend to cease any such appearance, barring some unexpected and vicious assault :silly: . Much more importantly, in three hours, we must unite for the business at hand and remember our priorities: Death to the swishy-pirates! :cheers:

:bucsuck: :bucsuck: :bucsuck: :bucsuck:

Actually, if we are going by the letter of the rules, starting a new thread on a topic that's already being discussed is against the rules. Sometimes, however, this is necessary as discussion in long threads sometimes reveals new and innovative ideas that are buried in the long threads. In these situations, if a poster didn't post a new thread, the membership would otherwise miss out on a great idea/theory/etc.

This is not one of those threads.

And as the Flaming Homo-Sapien mentioned, this thread is internally contradictory.

In any case, the 'Skins are on the eve of a playoff game.

SMIA: you seem like a decent guy. Lighten up--don't start threads and read more, post less. You'll pick up on the dynamic here much more quickly. :)

Archived