Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fake the WR screen...Moss goes deep

dgreen

That's my idea for a play. That Philly CB really jumped on the screen to Moss and that could have been a disaster. I was actually sitting at home and called the play. So, pump fake that bad boy and then send Moss flying. You could either hit him once he gets by the CB and before the S gets there, allowing Moss to use his open-field skills, or send him down the sideline in one-on-one coverage with a S who is probably out of position for such a pattern.

I should be an offensive coordinator.

Too much time. To have the quarterback do a 3 step drop, fake a screen, then drop back a few more steps to launch a bomb would never work in the NFL.

You would have to have unbelievable pass protection and catch the defense in a pass pro set, in which case, you'll have safety coverage deep anyway.

Trust me, I thought of it, and I just doubt it's practically possible...

That's my idea for a play. That Philly CB really jumped on the screen to Moss and that could have been a disaster. I was actually sitting at home and called the play. So, pump fake that bad boy and then send Moss flying. You could either hit him once he gets by the CB and before the S gets there, allowing Moss to use his open-field skills, or send him down the sideline in one-on-one coverage with a S who is probably out of position for such a pattern.

I should be an offensive coordinator.

The problem with that play is that there probably isn't enough time. The tackle and guards pull out to block, and if there is a pump-fake and then Brunell has to wait, I think the DLine would get to him before Moss even got started. Mark would definitely take a shot at least...not what you want with a banged-up QB.

If we can figure out a way to show screen, have the defense bite, and hit Moss deep, I'd be all for it. It would just have to be another Gibbs genius design that I can't think of, because you have different QB drops and sets for screens and long passes. It would take too much time, much more time than you can give a professional NFL defense.

Finally someone is starting to think like I do. I told someone this very week that is what they need to do. First I would have the O/L change there pass protection set-up to allow for more time. Second I would send Cooley in motion toward Moss, fake the WR screen to Cooley and have Moss streaking at the snap at the ball waving goodbye to the CB as he went by. The DE on that side of the ball WILL fall for the fake and so would the rest of the DL and as we know it doesn't take long for Moss to eat up 40+ yards.

The only way that would work is by using Moss as the decoy and sending another fast receiver down the sidelines to "block" for him. Fake it to Moss which causes the safety to bite down, then go over the top to the streaking Jacobs or Thrash.

You could also have Cooley underneath.

"Fake double screen Z-go"

:laugh:

Until Moss took the screen 78 yards against KC I thought we kept on using it just to set up a fake like that. However, from that point on I realized we could actually run it successfully when we pull the blockers out, unlike the quick passes we ran last year where we didn't pull anybody and just counted on the WR to shake a CB for a 10 yard gain max. The only way Brunell could stay upright to make the pass is if we didn't pull the side of the line before the fake, but a well-coached team would probably recognize that right off the bat. However, I do expect to see some sort of trickery this weekend. How about the HB option pass? Portis seems to sell it pretty well and had made pretty good TD throws to Coles and Cooley in the past.....

Re: Too much time.

That's definitely a concern. I would only run it after running the screen a couple times and if my OL is playing well that day. I would also take notice what the DE and LB on the screen side do on previous screens. If they notice quickly and head for the WR, it might work. If I'm only sending Cooley and Samuels out to block, I still have 4 OL, a RB, and 2 WR/TE/HB to help a Brunell bum rush.

Plus, I'm not sure the actual throw would come too much later than the pump. Like I said, if the safety is deep, you can hit Moss in stride about five yards down field, just as he passes the CB.

Finally someone is starting to think like I do. I told someone this very week that is what they need to do. First I would have the O/L change there pass protection set-up to allow for more time. Second I would send Cooley in motion toward Moss, fake the WR screen to Cooley and have Moss streaking at the snap at the ball waving goodbye to the CB as he went by. The DE on that side of the ball WILL fall for the fake and so would the rest of the DL and as we know it doesn't take long for Moss to eat up 40+ yards.

Yes, BUT, our line is instrumental in blocking for the screen. To successfully sell the screen you need to have your blockers pull as if they are blocking for a screen. Thus, the lack of time on the QB's part.

As someone mentioned, a well coached defense -- particularly a Monte Kiffin defense -- should recognize a thinly-veiled fake screen.

What we can do is fake screen and (a) draw to Portis; (B) pass to someone other than Moss who may be open because the defense has over-committed.

What you do is send Thrash in motion towards the screen side...while Thrash pauses as if he is going to block the CB on Santana ..pump the screen to Santana , Thrash continues into what would amount to a wheel route up the sideline...you also send and HB or TE deep middle (maybe a post) to clear a safety...Thrash would probably come open because in man the cb covering Thrash would probably try to jump the screen when he sees Thrash is the blocker, allowing Thrash to beat him deep.

Sounds time consuming but its not.

Too much time. To have the quarterback do a 3 step drop, fake a screen, then drop back a few more steps to launch a bomb would never work in the NFL.

You would have to have unbelievable pass protection and catch the defense in a pass pro set, in which case, you'll have safety coverage deep anyway.

The Pats did it, in the playoffs, a couple of years ago, when the WR screen was a staple of their offense. It worked to perfection, and an easy touchdown on single coverage.

You also wouldn't need to launch a "bomb." If the cornerback has bitten, he is already within a few yards of the line of scrimmage, with his momentem taking him further. If Moss is in single coverage, or the safety has already bitten, then he would only need another second, maybe a second and a half, to get down the line. Brunell would only need, in theory, to throw a 20 yard pass or so, because Moss has already broken away from his man.

My thoughts exactly. This would never work. And if it would, we all know the 'ol ball coach would have used it....LOL. Seriously, there just isn't time to do this in the NFL, plus there is something called a safety waiting back there in case of long passes. The only reason we fake a screen is to toss a little screen the other direction.

Archived