Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fake the WR screen...Moss goes deep

dgreen

We don't use a three step drop all the time. Sometimes it's snap, step, and throw. So it would be like a pump and go. Snap, one step, pump fake, waggle left and throw. Whoever fakes the block would be the outlet. Don't be surprised if you see this Saturday.

I liked it when we did the fake screen pass, then brunell spun 180 degrees to hit cooley on the opposite side of the field.

That's the one to go for. Either that or you go deep to your #2 WR after the fake. Teams will jump all over the screen because of how deadly Moss and Cooley have been with it this year. If you get them to bite on the fake that should open things up for somebody else downfield like Thrash.

That's my idea for a play. That Philly CB really jumped on the screen to Moss and that could have been a disaster. I was actually sitting at home and called the play. So, pump fake that bad boy and then send Moss flying. You could either hit him once he gets by the CB and before the S gets there, allowing Moss to use his open-field skills, or send him down the sideline in one-on-one coverage with a S who is probably out of position for such a pattern.

I should be an offensive coordinator.

Maybe it would work to fake it to Moss and throw it to the person who would act like he would block for him?

You could have two tightends stacked and when the tackles/guards go to block, then the TEs pick up the pass rush. Sounds a lot like a sweep, so I guess that wouldn't work on some defenses.

Or maybe a double RB formation would allow offense to pick up the rush allowing MB to throw a pass DEEP to Santana.

"Brunell.... going deep.... and AGAIN HE MAKES THE CATCH!!! AND SANTANA MOSS FOR A TOUCHDOWN!" - Al Michaels =)

I should be an offensive coordinator.

Yes you should!!! I like the idea, it could definitely work. I also wouldn't mind seeing the flea-flicker they ran against Dallas again. Speaking of Dallas, who do they play this week?

Dallas plays at the local golf course :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Another idea would be a screen to Moss and then Moss throwing the ball to someone. It would have to be a backwards pass. Screen to Moss, then have Cooley and Thrash run posts. I wonder how well Moss can throw?? :)

Spurrier did that to beat Seattle.

Rod Gardner to Trung Canidate.

they should fake the screen to cooley's side and have santana on the other side. They should have brunell fake to cooley then do a 180 and send it deep to moss on the other side ..... flawless or a better idea have taylor jocabs on the other side (being the no name that he is, they would'nt cover him as well) where moss would be and have moss line up next to cooley and have him fake block for cooley during the fake screen. Then brunell do the 180 and send it to jacobs. Keep in mind they wont cover him as well.

Alot of faking but it could work:laugh:

The genius of Joe Gibbs is that he ALWAYS finds a way to turn expectations on their head. Whether this will be by turning the WR screen into a bomb or turning the bootleg-left-and-throw-to-Sellers into a Portis-scampers-right TD remains to be seen. But he has always, always, always been a second-half coach, in large part b/c he sees what the defense has caught on to and changes it up. He is guaranteed to unveil something new this weekend.

I hate to say I told you so, but I did. I predicted this would be a risky play and that Andy Reid's team would be all over it and they were. I guess I was right about this one.....I just hope I'm wrong about CP holding the football in the inside arm when he runs left being risky too. :fingersx:

:bucsuck::bucsuck::bucsuck::bucsuck:

To those of you who say there isn't enough time, I think you're misunderstanding his idea. Or he's not explaining it well, one of the two. Moss would break into a fly as soon as Brunell pumps the ball, then immediately throws a mid-range floater that Moss would catch in stride. If the corner bites at all on the fake, Moss is gone. :D

Maybe the play would work in a video game,but with a minimum 3 second chance to get a fake to the side of the field you need to sell the play i.e need to have the formation setting up over there,in which the other side would be open for a blitz..i would rather use that idea to set up a trips left side screen,then having the slot receiver running right after the snap,pump fake screen and if safety bites then that leaves the opposite field open for a bomb to the slot that would then be most likely covered by a LB,it all depends on D's coverage if its not zone,man to man,what down and all that.But as far as a screen fake to moss then moss going deep..nah too much time and the defense is already keyed on the play,interesting idea but not logical.

that screen scares me now, the league has seen it so many times and the defense bites on it so fast could end up bing an int for a td however, Iam sure Gibbs is burning the midnight oil at Redskin park for some kind of new strategy for Tampa. IN GIBBS WE TRUST

To those of you who say there isn't enough time, I think you're misunderstanding his idea. Or he's not explaining it well, one of the two. Moss would break into a fly as soon as Brunell pumps the ball, then immediately throws a mid-range floater that Moss would catch in stride. If the corner bites at all on the fake, Moss is gone. :D

Exactly, the actuall pass could easily be no more than a second after the pump. But, something I just thought of is that the guys acting like they will block for the screen probably have to be careful not to actually block the CB. Would that be considered an illegal pick by the offense?

It certainly would be a play that needs almost ideal conditions to run it. The slightest problem could blow it up.

The Pats did it, in the playoffs, a couple of years ago, when the WR screen was a staple of their offense. It worked to perfection, and an easy touchdown on single coverage.

You also wouldn't need to launch a "bomb." If the cornerback has bitten, he is already within a few yards of the line of scrimmage, with his momentem taking him further. If Moss is in single coverage, or the safety has already bitten, then he would only need another second, maybe a second and a half, to get down the line. Brunell would only need, in theory, to throw a 20 yard pass or so, because Moss has already broken away from his man.

I doubt TB will make the mistake of single-covering Moss this game. Over the past few weeks, almost everytime Moss has been singled, he has managed to capitalize. Considering the Redskins' lack of production from its other receivers, I would be stunned if TB decided to single-cover Moss for more than just a handful of plays, even with a good corner like Barber.

Assuming that a safety will be helping out over the top, even if he bites on the fake WR screen, I think he'll still be in position to recover. As soon as he sees that the QB didn't throw the ball on the screen and instead sees Moss streaking down the sideline, he'll drop back into coverage again. Now don't get me wrong - I like my chances with Moss one-on-one v. any safety in the league, but I just don't see Moss finding himself wide open on that play.

Though mentioned already in this thread, let me emphasize something. This coming from someone old enough to remember athe "good old days". Coach doesn't just set up the other team during the game. He'll set teams up all season long. Rest assured, you just may see something like this against Tampa this Saturday. Or at least a variation. That's what he does.

Though mentioned already in this thread, let me emphasize something. This coming from someone old enough to remember athe "good old days". Coach doesn't just set up the other team during the game. He'll set teams up all season long. Rest assured, you just may see something like this against Tampa this Saturday. Or at least a variation. That's what he does.

Yep. I remember a situation in 1991. It looked like a simple bomb for a TD. But, what happened was Rypien rolled right and threw deep down the left side to Clark for a TD. Someone then pointed out that every single time Rypien rolled out that season, he threw to the side he rolled to. The CB on Clark was clearly taking it easy when he saw Rypien roll away from him.

There are two reasons you run something over and over and over. 1) Because it's working and 2) to set them up for something.

Archived