Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone remember Jack Pardee?

Thanos

I was just a small kid when Pardee was coaching the Redskins. I believe he was more of a defensive coach. Infact he played DB for the Redskins in the early seventies. He was pretty good, but not the best. He was our coach for only three seasons(1978-1980.) He produced a 24-24 record in that time span before Mr. Cooke fired him.

His last head coaching job was with the Houston Oilers. I remember his Oilers crushed Gibbs's Redskins in an ESPN game in 1988.

I remember Jack Pardee. My earliest football memories were of the Skins first SB appearance and the end of the George Allen era. I remember being disappointed that Allen got fired and I never really warmed to Pardee. Lol. . .in fact, the only thing I remember about him was that he was bald! Bottom line is that the team was not very good under his command. But didn't he acquire Theismann and Riggins. . .Dave Butz? Some of the players that formed the core of the early Gibbs teams were definately there before Gibbs arrived so I assume Pardee and/or his staff had some hand in getting them.

I remember Jack Pardee. My earliest football memories were of the Skins first SB appearance and the end of the George Allen era. I remember being disappointed that Allen got fired and I never really warmed to Pardee. Lol. . .in fact, the only thing I remember about him was that he was bald! Bottom line is that the team was not very good under his command. But didn't he acquire Theismann and Riggins. . .Dave Butz? Some of the players that formed the core of the early Gibbs teams were definately there before Gibbs arrived so I assume Pardee and/or his staff had some hand in getting them.

No, not actually. Theismann, Mosely, Riggins, Butz, Jean Fugett, Joe Lavender, Ken Houston, and many others played for George Allen prior to Pardee becoming head coach.

Not really but some folks forget that there were coaches before Gibbs and after George Allen.

I dont get it? Where did you get this information from?

I'm not positive but I can pretty darn nearly guarantee that 90+ % of our members know pretty much everything there is to know about the skins and thier former coaches so if you ask me this was a waste of posting space.

We have a playoff game ahead that we haven't seen for 7 years. The last thing on any true skins fans mind would be former coaches right now.

Please refrain from posting junk in the future :cheers:

Kinda sad how even older Redskin fans are forgetting the name of Bobby Beathard. Without him, there was no Gibbs, no Riggins, no Super Bowls(probably).

Jack Pardee was one of the Ramskins George Allen brought to the Skins. I remember going to see him for an autograph session at the Hecht company at Tysons corner, he talked and talked to mom and I for half a hour ( I must havev been 12 years old mom and I were so impressed that a pro would take the time to talk football and give me tips on playing) fantastic guy, he autograped "the future is now" book and I still have it.

I dont get it? Where did you get this information from?

I'm not positive but I can pretty darn nearly guarantee that 90+ % of our members know pretty much everything there is to know about the skins and thier former coaches so if you ask me this was a waste of posting space.

We have a playoff game ahead that we haven't seen for 7 years. The last thing on any true skins fans mind would be former coaches right now.

Please refrain from posting junk in the future :cheers:

You'd be surprised.Reading about Skins history and living thru it are two different things.I'm as hyped as the next guy.I remember singing Hail to the Redskins as a second grader in school before Super Bowl VII.

I just thought a little trip down memory lane would be helpful and something different from the Philly fans aint(fill in the blank).

I'm just praying that this team and organization doesn't get too attached to Gibbs because eventually he'll leave.

I remember him being bald as a player too. The poster boy for the Over the Hill gang. Wasn't Pardee a cancer survivior? I swear I remember this being mentioned back in the day.

Kinda sad how even older Redskin fans are forgetting the name of Bobby Beathard. Without him, there was no Gibbs, no Riggins, no Super Bowls(probably).

I'm a native of the DC area and have bled burgundy and gold since conception. I have followed this team with more ardor and passion than most fans. This is neither the time nor place to be ragging on fellow Skins fans, so take your prozac and chill out.

Oh yeah. . .HAIL TO THE REDSKINS! See y'all there in Tampa where I'll be with two of my sons.

Jack Pardee won Coach of the Year his 2nd year after the team barely missed the playoffs at 10-6, and got fired after his 3rd. He and Beathard clashed because Pardee wouldn't play the new guys Beathard brought in.

On the one hand, he probably wasn't given a fair shake, but on the other hand, Beathard could never have brought in Gibbs if he hadn't convinced Cooke to fire Pardee.

Unfortunately, years later, Casserly tried to recreate the same scenario by firing Petitbon (who'd failed largely because Casserly left him with a roster depleted by free agency), and hiring Norvo the Clown. :doh:

What were your thoughts on him as a coach? :doh:

What I remember of Jack Pardee was he gave up clutch games. Just like he went on to do a lot of with the Houston Oilers (a very under-achieving/over-talented team).

What did you remember/think of him?

Folks, what's with all the kill-joys? What, not enough Lavar threads out there for you??

I remember Jack Pardee. My earliest football memories were of the Skins first SB appearance and the end of the George Allen era. I remember being disappointed that Allen got fired and I never really warmed to Pardee. Lol.

Yes I remember the day George Allen left. It seemed like the whole town went into mourning. I remember when the news broadcast ended they posted George Allen's picture & played Sinatra's "My way". God this town loved George Allen.

In retrospect it seems he was treated almost over-sympathetically considering the terms he left under (don't know if the same thing would happen now days under the same circumstances).

Really, this deserved a thread?

What are you, some kind of censor or something?

I think these are the best threads, a lot of people have great stories and memories packed with facts that people might find interesting. Great thread...I now know a little bit more about Redskin history and the people who made it.

Dan

Yes I remember the day George Allen left. It seemed like the whole town went into mourning. I remember when the news broadcast ended they posted George Allen's picture & played Sinatra's "My way". God this town loved George Allen.

In retrospect it seems he was treated almost over-sympathetically considering the terms he left under (don't know if the same thing would happen now days under the same circumstances).

I remember it also.It was truly an end of an era, especially after his death.He was the epitome of "old school".

Archived