Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Chats and "Gas or Charcoal"

Mordy

1) People who suck up to the players before asking the question. You people make it sound like that player or coach gave birth to you!!

2.) "Gas or Charcoal?"

1.) It's always nice to hear somebody say that you're doing a great job. I bet you don't turn down compliments at your job or from your customers. Let it go.

2.) Pre-game parking lot parties are the sign of dedicated fans. No good team has an empty parking lot three hours before the game. There are grills everywhere. The difference between the types of grills is evident: People who use gas tend to want the quickest results and aren't as wrapped up in the flavor of the food, and people who use charcoal tend to be more patient with their food, wanting deeper flavor. It's a question as clear as "are you a Type A personality or Type B personality?"

Don't get so wrapped up in other people's questions. When the players have a problem with the questions they are being asked, I am sure they will mention it. Until then, enjoy the questions and answers you like, and ignore the ones you don't.:cheers:

How about "paper or plastic"?

Paper!

The grocery store gives you 9,000 plastic bags because they only hold about two items each and then when you get home, your groceries have slid all over the back of your SUV! Paper, on the other hand, holds a number of items upright and .. voila .. when you get home, all of your "stuff" is still in them, happily standing upright and all held together. Plus, you can carry two, even three paper bags in your arms, while just a couple of plastic bags (after you have to RE-bag all of your stuff that slid all over the back of your SUV) cut off the flow of blood to your fingertips!

Sheez!

You kids and your plastic bags! :rolleyes: Do I have to teach you people EVERYTHING! :mad:

Everybody that is experiened in backyard cooking or tailgate cooking knows charcoal beats gas -- whether you cook, beef, lamb, pork, poultry, or fish. Those of you who prefer gas clearly either don't have experience cooking with charcoal, or are not interested in the art of outdoors cooking.

And by the way, I can't believe the thread has gotten this far, and not one person has mentioned the word "Lump."

Yes. Lump is THE way to go. Good coconut lump with a handful of apple or hickory chips!

I prefer charcoal, but also have a gas grill. The gas grill is for convenience with time is a factor. Charcoal gives the best flavor, in fact now trying

to decide between a Big Green Egg and Smokey Mountain smoker.

As for the "gas or charcoal" question in the chats, in reading them, I sense

the player/coaches really love the question. It's a break from same questions they're always asked.

The times have had chance to talk with some former players, they love

to talk about their families or other interests.

Check out Kamado. It'll be the LAST BBQ you ever buy, and the food cooked on it tastes like no other. Besides, they look sweet next to the pool even when they're not cooking.

Cook on it for a lifetime and then have your kids cremate you in it when you're gone. ;)

Yes. Lump is THE way to go. Good coconut lump with a handful of apple or hickory chips!

Coconut lump? Hmm, that's a new one for me. I'll have to try that some day. And yes, apple and hickory are my two faves for smoking!

And for all you gas lovers, click this link, read it and weep:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30691-2004Jul6.html

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I am pretty sure that between team meetings all the guys are getting together to discuss the chat questions from Extremeskins.com.....

I guess I don't mind the question during chats. The sucking up is almost unbearable, though. People, we aren't a group of 13 year old girls here.

Gas rules over charcoal. When I cook meat I want to taste MEAT. Propane burns clean, so while you smell it when you are cooking, the taste/smell doesn't get into the meat. It's also faster and easier to clean.

Well, Jon Jansen obviously was aware that the question would be coming. From the Jon Jansen chat :

(laughs) I know everybody wants me to say charcoal, but I’m going to say gas.

charcoal give the meat a very distinct and tender flavor, i think everyone agrees with ol' Art here that charcoal is indeed king, what we should be asking ourselves is what kind of smoke flavor is best? cedar wood chips gets my vote!:laugh: speaking of grilling, a good beer never hurt either:cheers:

Hickory wood chips mixed with green apple wood chips gets my vote.

On beer, pour one swallow down the throat, and splash a little on the meat. Repeat until sixpack is gone.

(some misguided people use wine)

While gas or charcoal may never be fully retired, I might expect we identify another key question we ask weekly next year. I started liking the questions about "Madden" rankings. That could be it.

I also like the generic, "So, can you tell us why you are so much more important to the success of the team than the last guy we spoke to." But, they may not like that :).

Oh when I am home there is no substitute for the Charcoal. When I am in a parking lot of a stadium and it is cold and raining I have to bust out the trusty propane camping stove. I dont skimp on the meat tho. I am sure to brine any beef, marinate any chicken and come stocked with several pork products.

HTTR:cheers:

Archived