Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scary Brunell

supersmartbrunell5

OMG!!! I can't TAKE this anymore. We're in the friggin' playoffs and we STILL have to hear about how this guy sucks and that guy scares me. Listen...Brunell has A LOT to do with the Washington Redskins being in the playoffs this year...if you think otherwise...you are mistaken!

hey man... its not that serious...

Brunell has helped us get to wear we are today and of course if he is healthy he is our best bet, but dont tell me you didnt see the his performance the other day.

He did however pull that one run for the first in which i was very impressed. but still, instead of beating the eagles by 11 we could have beat them by 20.

I wanna see solid wins like i saw in with dallas and the gmen.

thats all... there is no hating on brunell, just some points in the last game where i just held my breath until the play was over.

By no means do I want to be negative---but I am scared to death of Mark Brunell. I think he is easily the worst qb in the playoffs and it sucks because I like the guy and am so grateful for where he has lead this team but since about week 5 I think we have won despite him instead of in spite of him.

This is the same QB who previously made 3 Pro Bowl's and was an alternate in two others and he just posted one of his best TD/INT ratios of his career and one of his highest QB ratings of his career (particularly if you throw out of his stats the meaningless INT just before half). Accordingly, I disagree with your sense of things. No doubt Brunell's efficiency suffers when he is dinged up, but tell me a QB who is just as good injured as when they are healthy ... they don't exist.

Brunell has helped us get to wear we are today and of course if he is healthy he is our best bet, but dont tell me you didnt see the his performance the other day.

Yes...I saw his performance and it wasn't his best. However, every professional (athlete or otherwise) has bad days. Brunell has had more good days than he has had bad.

By the way...if Brunell didn't scramble for that CRITICAL 1st down...the outcome of the game may have been quite different.

After reading a lot of these posts I have to agree, that the experience and the poise Brunell shows can't be measured, and don't show up as stats. I'm glad that we have him and I'm glad he has help guide this team to the playoffs. His scrambles, leadership qualities described by other players and playmaking abilities (shovel pass to Royal) are better than anyone we have now and better than alot of QB's in the playoffs ...

But I can see how one could be concerned about how he will perform in this away game - his numbers the last 5 away games are not very good ...

9/25 141 YDS, 1 TD's, 1 INTS, Eagles

18/28 122 YDS, 0 TD, 3 INTS, Cards

14/21 156 YDS, 1 TD, 0 INTS, Rams

23/35 226 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INTS, TB

11/28 65 YDS, 0 TD, 1 INTS, Giants

If there is something that worries me about this Saturday, it is Brunell and the passing game,

I think portis and running game, and the Skins D can be counted on to show up with out any doubt ... can you say the exact same statement about Brunell and the passing game on the road?

Brunell is not great. His arm is sub-par. At times he looks tired out there. He's not going to put the team on his shoulders and win the game himself like Favre or Elway could.

That said, the only QB under Gibbs who was close to 'great' was Joe Theismann. Gibbs knows how to win with a smart, efficient QB. In fact, he LIKES to win that way. Brunell is a perfect QB for Gibbs. He's smart, mobile, has a nice touch on his throws, and doesn't make a lot of dumb plays. He let's the RB do most of the heavy-lifting and feeds off the play-action. The best part is that if Brunell can't run this offense, his backup can. Our offense is not reliant on stellar QB play.

That's what Gibbs wants. And it's gotten us 10 wins and a playoff berth. If you want to watch a team that leans on it's superstar QB, refer to the Falcons or the Eagles and get back to me. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the moment. You never know when it's gonna come around again.

All I Want To Say Is I Love Gibbs. I Love Brunell I Love Portis. This Team Has Come Very Far This Year. I Understand If Brunell Scares U But In Ur Post U Said He Was The Worst Qb In The Playoffs. For This Team Brunell Is The Best Qb In The Playoffs. I Don;t Care If He Throws 5 Ints Or Only 25 Yards. I Don;t Care If We Win By 11 Or 30 Points. Remeber The 14-13 Dallas Game. My Point Is We Won More Than We Lost. We Are In The Playoffs And I Believe. So Enjoy The Moment. Its Been Awhile. And With Our Offense Throwing Up 30+ Points In The Last 3 Games And Portis Playing His Best Ball Of The Season I Feel We Could Go Deep. Lets Stop The Bashing And Arguing. This Is A Time To Be Thankfull We Had The Season We Did

Also As Long As Brunell Can Make That Pass To Sellars For A Td He Can Start Any Team For Me

Brunell looked injured last week, and that scared me. But this season he has been spectacular at times and average at times. Just like any other QB in the league. Peyton Manning didn't even get on a roll until several games into the season. You can't expect a QB to put up 300 yards, 2 TD's and no INT's every week. It's almost impossible in this league. I mean take away that first Giants game (from everyone, not just Brunell) and he's been fine this year. Take away those 2 passes to Moss in Dallas and we're sitting at home watching the playoffs again. He's not a superstar QB, but he makes plays when we need them and is a big reason why we're in the playoffs - I say give him the respect he deserves.

I think he is easily the worst qb in the playoffs and it sucks because I like the guy and am so grateful for where he has lead this team but since about week 5 I think we have won despite him instead of in spite of him.

The worst qb in the playoffs???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here's my :2cents: . I posted a while back that I wanted Ramsey to start the Eagles game. Not because I think he's a better QB but so Brunell could get some more rest for the playoffs.

Gibbs decided he'd rather go with a banged up Brunell. So Brunell started, had a sub-par performance and we won in what turned about to be another heart-attack game. Honestly the game should not have been that close.

The one thing we know about Brunell is that he doesn't play very well injured, last season is proof enough. He doesn't have a very strong arm so in order to get some ooomph on the ball his legs MUST BE HEALTHY! Mark without legs is the only thing that "scares" me. Mark with legs can get us much deeper into the playoffs.

One thing's for sure. If we want to beat Tampa Brunell is gonna have to play a lot better then he did against Philly.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck

I think Brunell's health and how well he plays will be the deciding factor in whether we win or lose. If the defense gets extremely hyped up and goes out there and completely shuts them down, and the offensive line comes with everything they've got, there's a slim possibility we could squeak it out by putting it all on Portis, but I think we're going to have to throw to win. If Brunell can't get it done we'll probably lose, because I don't think Gibbs will put Ramsey in, and even if he does, that's a tough situation for somebody who's barely played all year.

Brunell just needs to manage the game, not be a hero. Clinton Portis and Moss are the dynamics that make this offense go. Don't worry, Brunell is playing his best football now, remember, the knee must of been bothering him badly on Sunday and its getting better. Our defense is getting us short fields now, and that lets the offense rest more, and keep their legs fresh. This is what makes this team so good. We don't need the quarterback to make heroic plays to win. He just needs to get the ball into the playmakers hands.

Brunell isn't having problems. Last week vs Philly is the worst idicator of him as a QB you can have.

Figure this.

Brunell is a little gimpy to start.

Next, Philly's offense is dead. It's beat up beyond hope, second and thrd stringers, and their defense isn't in much better shape, but it's still a bit of a threat.

So what do you do? Do you take any chances with the ball at all? Hell no, if a green jersey is within 3 yards, launch it into row Z.

Don't give them any kind of short field to work on, Even when Philly went up by ten, no one changed the gameplan.

In that sort of game, you play conservative and you bank on your top ten defense forcing that collection of benchwarmers and special teamers to cough it up, and they did 6 times. The Eagles were overmatched.

You ever see a bunch of lions kill a zebra, and the zebra manages to kick one of the lions? It hurts the lion for a second or two, but soon enough the zebra goes down and dies. The Eagles were the zebra.

In a way, it's kind of good that we were able to win that game without having to rely on the passing too much. People just may underestimate Brunell. Can't argue with success, fellas.

~Bang

Look, I follow the skins as much as anyone on the planet, and am in such a paralyzed-with-happiness shock that we finally made the playoffs since the Brad Johnson era. By no means do I want to be negative---but I am scared to death of Mark Brunell. I think he is easily the worst qb in the playoffs and it sucks because I like the guy and am so grateful for where he has lead this team but since about week 5 I think we have won despite him instead of in spite of him. The O-line, D, Clinton, and Santana's screen prowess and deep ball adjustments have saved us. I will give him credit for some of the deep balls and occasional huge scramble on third down, but he just doesn't look like the same player since his gunslinging weeks against Denver, KC, and Tampa. I felt this way before the knee injury, but that definitely has made matters worse. I fear that Gibbs will ride him to defeat rather than make a change if he is killing us. Even vs. Dallas, his best game I have the game DVR'd and all he does is throw dump offs to Sellers, Cooley, and Royal, and screens to Moss. I don't necessarily sip the Ramsey Kool-AId but I think he would give us the best chance of winning. He isn't more turnover prone than Brunell when you tally up all the crushing fumbles and ints mark has thrown. Some may read this and dismiss it quickly like the mainstream media because of the big picture, but watch the games, analyze the tape and I think most, not all, will agree with me.

Yea, He scares me too, He looks like he is always nervous back there, He never looks settled to me. I agree with you we are winning in spite of him. I definetly don't have a lot of faith in him for next year.

you cant look at brunell's whole season or career and say that he is the right guy for the playoffs....look at the last two seasons...when he is 100% he is awesome but if he has any health issues at all his performance drops off a ton...(see last season and last few games) i love the guy healthy but i am afraid that gibbs is going to go down with the brunell ship...when we have ramsey who is capable enough to manage and make throws and healthy.....i mean he really has only played 3 quarters of real football this season....quarter 1 verses the bears and quarters 3 and 4 verses the giants....check out those numbers...watch those games on your TIVO. ramsey can play and we wont have him next year so might as well use him now.

you cant look at brunell's whole season or career and say that he is the right guy for the playoffs....look at the last two seasons...when he is 100% he is awesome but if he has any health issues at all his performance drops off a ton...(see last season and last few games) i love the guy healthy but i am afraid that gibbs is going to go down with the brunell ship...when we have ramsey who is capable enough to manage and make throws and healthy.....i mean he really has only played 3 quarters of real football this season....quarter 1 verses the bears and quarters 3 and 4 verses the giants....check out those numbers...watch those games on your TIVO. ramsey can play and we wont have him next year so might as well use him now.

If Brunell does not get er done, I have faith in Gibbs to put in Ramsey.

This isn't the same Ramsey of the past few years.

He has learned a great deal studying with Brunell.

And I don't think Gibbs will be to conservative in a playoff game with history at stake.

Hail!:point2sky

I think those two guys are capable of back-shuffling and throwing dump-offs just like Mark, but those two qbs can attack the middle of the field and make pro throws, Mark may be a better game manager because he doesn't take risks but he throws for 140 yards a game and that conservative approach made us need a kickoff return td against ARIZONA, and the 4th quarter vs. the Rams. I hope he starts playing like he did against Denver, KC, and Tampa but I'm fearful.

Come on man, stop spouting off tired old cliches about the td return being the only reason we won against arizona.

We just won 5 freaking games in a row. Against the top of our division. With Mark as our quarterback. Give me a break and stop trying to find stuff to ***** about.

There is no other quarterback in the NFC playoffs that I'd rather have leading this team. We are a run first team, which means Brunell fits Gibb's scheme perfectly.

:bucsuck:

I think those two guys are capable of back-shuffling and throwing dump-offs just like Mark, but those two qbs can attack the middle of the field and make pro throws, Mark may be a better game manager because he doesn't take risks but he throws for 140 yards a game and that conservative approach made us need a kickoff return td against ARIZONA, and the 4th quarter vs. the Rams. I hope he starts playing like he did against Denver, KC, and Tampa but I'm fearful.

Dude, but, we lost those games. As in, did not win. You pointed out three games whose performance you would like Brunell to replicate, yet all three, we lost.

Statistics do not win football games. How many times do people have to be reminded of that? If Joe Gibbs thinks Brunell manages the right game, then holy ****ing ****, you have to be kidding me if you think otherwise.

You must be a Bucs fan, or some other form of troll.

Part of what works against Brunell is the fact that one of his major virtues is what he does not do, which is make a lot of stupid throws or needlessly take sacks. He knows how to throw the ball away. What for him is a pass out of bounds in years past would often have been a INT on a forced pass by Ramsey, or a sack because Ramsey was still holding out for a deep pass somewhere. (This isn't a bash-Ramsey post, he's just the predecessor who makes the example.)

Detractors will slap their forehead in disgust at the pass out of bounds on 2nd down, but people need to remember that by doing that he's given us a chance at converting the third down to follow.

why are you defending a comment that is negative to the team you supposovely like?

doesnt make much sense

and mark said in one of his news conferences that he will be healthy for the game against the bucs

even if mark plays poorly, i think we start him

then if we absolutely have to, we put ramsey in

ramsey might have gotten better since we have last seen him, but he still is younger, less experienced, and more likely to get rattled then mark brunell

Archived