Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Snyder come out and say it?

KevinthePRF

Snyder cannot promise the job to GW for another reason. The league has a rule that you must at least interview a minority for any head coaching position. Teams that have gone around this rule have been punished with fines and since that has not worked there is talk that a loss of draft picks will result. Denver lost a late 3rd round pick for going over the cap and thus you would be looking at a 3rd round pick or higher being lost for going around this rule based on the history of punishment in the NFL.

That rule only applies if you look outside your organization. St. louis promised Mike Martz the HC job once Vermil left.

Snyder cannot promise the job to GW for another reason. The league has a rule that you must at least interview a minority for any head coaching position. Teams that have gone around this rule have been punished with fines and since that has not worked there is talk that a loss of draft picks will result. Denver lost a late 3rd round pick for going over the cap and thus you would be looking at a 3rd round pick or higher being lost for going around this rule based on the history of punishment in the NFL.

I think you're wrong on this one. I believe the rule only applies if you do not promote from within the organization. I don't get how Denver going over the cap has anything to do with the minority interview rule. The teams that have been fined for violating this rule were those that went outside the organization to hire their next coach.

If GW get an head coaching offer this year, why would he wait years for Gibbs to retire? Would any of you do that?

Absolutely. I would much rather take the reins of a playoff team with a solid core in place, with a defense that I already built and with players I have already gained the respect of, than a team in disarray like the Texans. Even if I have to wait 2 years. Also, picking up your whole family and moving to a different state, different schools for the kids, different everything is a pain in the butt. Plus, he really likes coaching Sean Taylor, as he has stated several times.

Just my :2cents: I know that there is a lot of ego involved with being a head coach and being the man. I wouldnt blame coach Dubs if he walks, he certainly deserves it.

4-12- 6-10 , Norv Turner type records. He was awful at personel. Playing Drew Bledsoe. He is the exact opposite of what we need in a head coach .

The only guys the Skins would hire if Gibbs left would be a Jim Fassel or somebody. A coach with NFC east and head coaching expirence.

Williams i wish him luck where ever he goes next yr. Just promote Blache

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5216800

as reported in a newer thread. i just could not resist.....TOLD YA.

It has been reported that they do not get along. Tony Kornhiser just said it

Greg Williams is a 6-10 head coach period. Gibbs is a winner. The team is winning because of Gibbs personel decesions not williams MAGIC DUST he puts over the defense

Williams unit looks better because they have more players. If the Skins had another Moss reciever they would have one of the top offenses in the league

Williams is a good coach, but assitant head coach. We have Greg Blache and other guys there who are more then capabable. Blache had a good d with the bears and skins.

Its a joke. People do not want to give Gibbs credit for this team because he is old or something.

Tony Kornheiser is not even a sports reporter. He is a "tv personality"

he may have been a sports reporter once but that was a long time

ago. He would rather talk about his dog eating his garbage or some

other lame crap.

Gregg Williams is currently one of the most revered prospects for a head coaching job next year, due to what he has done with this defense. The defense isn't good because of the players; the players are good because of the defense. Everyone thought our defense would suffer with the loss of Smoot and Pierce, and look where we are now. We certainly did well against Philly when more than half of our corners were injured. This defense doesn't need star players to do well; it's the system that's good. I can only hope Gregg Williams decides that it's not worth moving his family to take a head coaching job somewhere else when there's a job waiting for him here in two years (Gibbs said he'd stay on about four or five years) and he's already making a head coach's salary. If Williams has a good offensive coordinator under him, he will be one heck of a head coach.

The one thing Washington needs right now is consistency, and Gregg Williams can provide it.

Well I'm not so sure about G. Williams getting a head-coaching job. Remember when he was the HC for Buffalo? They were 4-12 and 5-11 I think.

Bill Belichick didn't get off to a roaring start in his first stint as a head coach. Who knows? Maybe Williams learned something in his first go-round that will translate to better success the second time around.

I'd love to see Gregg as the head coach once Gibbs leaves, but you can't just assume that is what is going to happen. I wouldn't mind it at all. I hate when a Head Coach leaves and someone unfirmilliar to the team comes in and coaches, if Gregg came in to coach, we could continue our dominance because he wouldn't have to adjust, and the team wouldn't have to adjust to him.

Archived