Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

the difference a single bad call can make

bubba9497

yes another rehash of the Alsott conversion debacle.

however with a twist. I just want to show why I get so upset over a single blown call... and what the results can be.

If the correct call would have been made

The Skins finish 11-5

Win the NFC East

End up the #2 seed since we beat Chicago

Have a bye

have a home field playoff game

and if Seattle got beat, home field throughout the playoffs

and before someone says, if we had played better against (insert team) we would have had that too, the difference being... we did play better, and did what it took to win on that play (twice) and it was taken away from us.

That is all

well, the fact remains that the Redskins somehow allowed a first year starting qb to put up 35 points on their defense. this was a horrible game for the front seven. we got absolutely no pressure and allowed Simms to sit back there and pick us apart.

yes, the call at the end of the game was a muff by the refs.

but isn't it ironic in a way that if the Skins had merely allowed the Bucs to tie the score at 35 with the first extra point attempt we probably would have marched down and kicked the winning field goal in OT given how our offense was moving the ball?

You know bubba, we have the opportunity here to go win some football games. Even if we had won that game, we'd still have to go out and win football games in front of us. We have the same opportunity as everyone else in the playoffs. We just have to win. That's it. So in retrospect, that game didn't matter one bit.

Bubba,

Looking back at that game and I can say I am glad we lost. Why?

Because it put us in the ultimate position to gel as a team and win those final five games.

PLUS

We have a score to settle down in Tampa. The whole team was/is pissed about the outcome. Our defense will be looking for redemption against a QB that has never played in a postseason game.

Hold your head up Bubba, we are in for a hellava ride!!

however with a twist. I just want to show why I get so upset over a single blown call... and what the results can be.

The Skins finish 11-5

Win the NFC East

Have a bye

and before someone says, if we had played better against (insert team) we would have had that too, the difference being... we did play better, and did what it took to win on that play (twice) and it was taken away from us.

That is all

helluva post bubba. always agree with you.

Alscot plowed through the line twice in that game- once for a TD and once for the 2 point conversion. Griffin did not play and Salvea left the game early due to injury. The two of them in the middle will make a hell of a difference this time.

We could have won that game if Brunell did not fumble near their goal line. Gave them an early touchdown. Also, Simeon Rice ate up Samuels and Cooley/Royal. They could not contain him. He was in Brunell's face all day. That won't happen this time either. Samules is finally playing at an All-Pro level. Simeon will have to bring it a lot harder this time.

You know bubba, we have the opportunity here to go win some football games. Even if we had won that game, we'd still have to go out and win football games in front of us. We have the same opportunity as everyone else in the playoffs. We just have to win. That's it. So in retrospect, that game didn't matter one bit.

yes we are still in the playoffs, and can make some noise... but

having a week to rest and heel, and playing at Fed-Ex in a playoff atmosphere???? huge advantage.

Nothing can change the results, but I just want to emphasize just how important it is for the refs to make the correct call... and use the replay correctly.

I can't think of more than 2 plays all season in a close game the refs reversed the call on the field when it involved scoring late in the game.

The Skins "tuck rule" reversal, and yesterday the Cards TD -fumble call.... and if it hadn't been the Cards and Dungy's situation I doubt it would have been reversed then either. The Ref's hide behind the "down by contact", or "inconclusive" too much on important reviews, not having the guts to overturn the wrong call.

in retrospect the one game that SHOULD have been taken care of was the Raider game at home. to lose to a tomato can team like Norv's Raiders that finished 4-12 and 0-6 in their own division was simply the worst loss of the season by far.

all of the other losses the Redskins had this year were to teams that are either in the postseason or had winning records in 2005.

Its a very good point you bring up Bubba, now its time to show the NFL who really won that game! You know in their heart of hearts the Bucs know who won that game and they have to be sweating this Saturdays game! Chucky is probobly telling them...hey guys we got lucky with a bad call last game and we cant let them do that to us again! They gotta be really nervious! And they should be!!!!:excited:

in retrospect the one game that SHOULD have been taken care of was the Raider game at home. to lose to a tomato can team like Norv's Raiders that finished 4-12 and 0-6 in their own division was simply the worst loss of the season by far.

all of the other losses the Redskins had this year were to teams that are either in the postseason or had winning records in 2005.

again the difference being between "should have" and "DID"

we did make the play to win the game, we block the extra point but was wrongly flagged for offside, and we stopped Alstot short, but he got the call, and then the refs would overturn the call.

I know it sounds like I am crying over spilt milk, but not... just trying to stress the importance of TRYING to get the call right, especially on game changing plays.

IMO, the call against Runyan was worse. I've seen comparable swings (and in some cases worse) not called in the NFL almost everytime I watch. The refs are constantly breaking up fisticuffs in games with no calls. That call dramatically shifted the momentum yesterday and it was 20 yards away from the resulting play.

The TB call was probably bad but it's based on a bad rule. Refs should remain neutral on goalline calls if there is a doubt. The evidence wasn't overwhelming that Alstott didn't get in because you couldn't see the ball for most of the play, but with the elbow's position that call should have been made for the Skins. The head referee is pressured to make a quick call after the review. I don't believe they see a blown up version of the video from what I've heard.

I agree with Bubba and it has bugged me ever since. The only way I am able to calm myself is to look at it from this perspective. If we had won the game against Tampa, maybe we don't play as hard these last five weeks as we wouldn't have been in the must win situation that we found ourselves stuck in. Instead of the games meaning everything to us, the Giants and Cowboys would have had their lives on the line against us. The outcome of those games may have been different. Even against Philly, perhaps we don't put our best foot forward and lose the game. At the same time, Chicago wouldn't have stayed home against Minnesota this week. Perhaps they finish with 12 wins if we had topped Tampa.

The point is, we will never know what affect that pathetic call had. We may have ended up in the same position we are today, but I sure would have liked the opportunity to find out.

We could also discuss the "Forced Out" call that setup a Tampa touchdown, or the PI non-calls that led to an interception.

We were missing Griffen, Taylor, and Salave'a for part of the game. We will have all three back which will shore up our front and some of their more successful passing lanes from our first meeting.

I'm only concerned about our corners.

IMO, the call against Runyan was worse. I've seen comparable swings (and in some cases worse) not called in the NFL almost everytime I watch. The refs are constantly breaking up fisticuffs in games with no calls. That call dramatically shifted the momentum yesterday and it was 20 yards away from the resulting play..

Huh? he swung an hit Saleava'a in the head, after the play ended in front of the ref. That will get called every single time. It wasn't pushing and sholving, it was a punch to the head.

again the difference being between "should have" and "DID"

we did make the play to win the game, we block the extra point but was wrongly flagged for offside, and we stopped Alstot short, but he got the call, and then the refs would overturn the call.

I know it sounds like I am crying over spilt milk, but not... just trying to stress the importance of TRYING to get the call right, especially on game changing plays.

What you say is very true about the call but if we were in better position the Bears would have played their starters yesterday versus the Vikings so we may be no better than were we are so it is really a mute point.

The Skins finish 11-5

Win the NFC East

Have a bye

That is all

There is no way you can say this with any kind of certainty. What got us to the playoffs is exactly what happened. You can't ask for one thing from the season to change and expect that everything else would have rolled together the way it did.

This team may have needed humbling losses in midseason. This team may have needed to understand that both phases had to come to play, and that the team was made up of players AND coaches, not just coaches, and not just players.

Regardless, you can't change one thing from the past, and assume that everything else would have played out as it did. I'll take the reality over any chance that we wouldn't have made the playoffs. I say, based on where we are now, THANK GOODNESS the ref blew that call! We're in the PALOFFS! PALOFFS IS NOW!

IMO, the call against Runyan was worse. I've seen comparable swings (and in some cases worse) not called in the NFL almost everytime I watch. The refs are constantly breaking up fisticuffs in games with no calls. That call dramatically shifted the momentum yesterday and it was 20 yards away from the resulting play.

The TB call was probably bad but it's based on a bad rule. Refs should remain neutral on goalline calls if there is a doubt. The evidence wasn't overwhelming that Alstott didn't get in because you couldn't see the ball for most of the play, but with the elbow's position that call should have been made for the Skins. The head referee is pressured to make a quick call after the review. I don't believe they see a blown up version of the video from what I've heard.

Bubba,

I think your posts hit the nail on the head every time. I added you to my buddy list but I don't know how to use that feature.

As for Jersey Gator's comment here, this is the typical statement from folks that are biased against the Redskins. On the one hand you have a bunch of guys who are either disinterested or biased in favor of the NFL who are saying that the Redskins were robbed. That list includes Aikman, Esiason, several writers at SI, James hasty on Cold Pizza, etc.

On the other hand, you have guys who have an obvious bias against the Skins who at best say the call was "inconclusive." The typical comment from them is "you cannot see where the ball is." But, as Aikman pointed out as the call was under review, one replay angle CLEARLY shows where the ball is and another CLEARLY shows the elbow--and therefore the ball--coming up short of the goal line. I have never heard any of the anti-Redskin crowd say Alstott definitely got in. Why not? Because they know they cannot. They are happy the refs got it wrong.

Hail

Blatantly illegal calls CAN get called. Runyan can not get away with dirty play all the time, and he is known for dirty play. If the ref saw a blatantly illegal first strike clearly intended to aggravate, then of course he would call it. Otherwise there's no reason to have rules at all.

The other side of this is, it helps to play the game-within-the-game. For the coaches and players, that means talking to the refs and working with them. Sometimes character on the field, and just talking to the refs will help you get the calls you want. Being friendly, and also pointing out something they might want to take a look at on the next play (blatant holding, etc). This year's Redskins are a huge improvement on these issues. The thing that I liked was they had a deflating bad PI call against them, and they responded well after first looking like they might have gotten softened by it. That's good coaching. This team takes control of what they can control, and doesn't sweat it when something out of their control affects them. That's good coaching, and good experience.

The Skins finish 11-5

Win the NFC East

Have a bye

That is all

Good point, Bubba. I agree.

I also thought the pik play the Buzzards ran on Sunday, where the refs blew it and called pass interference on us, was going to do us in. The Buzzards should have had to kick a field goal but instead they were given a 1st down on the lousy call, and then scored a TD on the next play. :doh:

I watch other teams play and I dont see that many bum ref calls in games. But in the Redskins games the refs seem to screw us about every other game.

I have a movie for ya.. called "Running Against Time"...

About someone who wants to go back and change one little thing in history so everything else will be all right.

But the problem is.. when that one thing is changed... the things that were "supposed" to be all right goes really, really bad.

Nah.. don't want to play with what is done. Nor think about it. It's done. It was an awful call and I was as angry as anyone at the time.

But there's no guarantee that if that call was made correctly, things would have still panned out the way they did.

Archived