Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Negative fan primer...

Art

The Washington Redskins are the No. 6 seed in the playoffs with a 10-6 record. Points known to all of us that you may fairly assume we know and need no additional information on are as follows:

1. The Redskins will be on the road in the playoffs. We know it will be a hard fight and tough stretch to string wins together because of this. We expect imperfection and the difficulties of having to deal with an opposing crowd week after week knowing how hard it was for other teams to deal with our crowd down the stretch.

2. The Redskins have some concerning injuries that weaken the roster. The loss of Springs and Jimoh hurt the depth of our corners in a way that forces us to alter our playing style, but, those injuries and others are not actually signs of a hopeless franchise just a few days from being blown out in the playoffs -- though, sure a blowout could happen in any direction.

3. Mark Brunell has some weakness in his knee and his performance against Philly with accuracy is concerning and certainly is not something we can survive with weekly should he not improve physically. Brunell has had fine moments and moments of struggle all year. We'll have a hard time winning should he struggle, but, that's pretty easy to figure out, so, we already have.

4. The Redskins only beat the Eagles by 11 points. This is disappointing as we should have won by 30 or whatever. That the game was a harder game than some of you wanted to have our team play and closer in the end than was comforting doesn't necessarily mean all is lost going forward. Down the stretch the Redskins won 5 games in a row. Please attempt not to point to the Cards and Eagles as the only games we can draw any meaning from when evaluating our team. We'll probably use all the games, and even the 5-6 record before the last five to evaluate the team and we'll even figure out for ourselves the team has an inconsistent nature, yet, that doesn't actually mean we know anything about the game in Tampa or beyond.

5. No one at receiver besides Moss is making any catches. This doesn't mean we are lost because that's been the case all year. We know about it. We're fully aware this area is one we could strengthen.

6. With Clemons out, LaVar should be playing on third down, every down, constantly rushing the passer and if he's not, the defensive coaching staff is clueless and can't figure out how to use their own personnel. We know you feel this way. No need to remind us.

I could go on, and perhaps I will, but, before I do, let me ask that as you create all the ways we can lose this game and more, try to remember it's a greater experience to consider the ways we can win this game and move on.

Contemplate winning. Go ahead. You might like it :).

I'm not a negative fan but I couldn't resist commenting on this:

2. The Redskins have some concerning injuries that weaken the roster. The loss of Springs and Jimoh hurt the depth of our corners in a way that forces us to alter our playing style, but, those injuries and others are not actually signs of a hopeless franchise just a few days from being blown out in the playoffs -- though, sure a blowout could happen in any direction.

I'm not sure those injuries force us to alter our playing style. We have always relied on blitzes to get QB pressure. I think this just makes us blitz more, especially from the corners, so that there is no time for our corners to get burned. Style is the same: aggressive, blitzing. Frequency of blitzing may be increased. Could be fun to watch. :)

The Washington Redskins are the No. 6 seed in the playoffs with a 10-6 record. Points known to all of us that you may fairly assume we know and need no additional information on are as follows:........
A preemptive strike does have it merits.... :laugh:

5. No one at receiver besides Moss is making any catches. This doesn't mean we are lost because that's been the case all year. We know about it. We're fully aware this area is one we could strengthen.

I am a bit concerned with the way the Eagles completely took Cooley out of the game yesterday. It seemed like any time we had Cooley motion left, they knew it would be a bootleg or screen pass, and shifted two guys over to double him. They really hindered our passing game... Something to be worried about.

That concerns me too about Philly's ability to contain Cooley on the rollout pass that has been so effective this year. If other teams match that ... maybe we may see Brunell roll out left, Cooley run out and Brunell plant and fire to the opposite side of the field as coverage shifts right.

The point about ONLY beating the Eagles by 11 is untrue because the other two NFC East teams only beat them by a combined 4 points on the Road. WE beat them the worst out of the other teams in the East, so i consider that to be pretty good.

I consider it to be better then expected.

I haven't really seen any negative posts about how we can lose, just some helpful thoughts on what could be done better.

With that said......

If we play like we did yesterday at Tampa, we will get our asses handed to us on a silver platter.

However, If we play Tampa like we played the Cowpies, and the Midgets, Tampa Bay is eliminated from the playoffs and we move on.

The boys know what's at stake and should play accordingly.

Never underestimate thy Lord Gibbs.

Hail!:point2sky

Cooley had a groin pull during the game yesterday. Hopefully they can fix him up and get a big game out of him on Saturday.

Aikman made a good comment about how Cooley has effectively turned into the Redskins #2 receiver and that the offense was effective enough with Moss, Cooley, and Portis.

That being said, I expect to see a big game from Robert Royal. I just hope they don't ask him to block Simeon Rice :doh:

As far as negativity goes, I am concerned very concerned about the health of the secondary. Differences in the 2 teams from the last game:

Bucs: Cadillac is healthy. Simms has a little more experience. No injuries to key players since the last game.

Skins: Cornelius Griffen is healthy. Redskins are missing Randy Thomas and possibly Springs and Rodgers.

Advantage Bucs on the injury front.

Skins Advantages:

Joe Gibbs in 16-5 in the post season; 5-0 in Wild Card games.

Brunell has playoff experience. Simms has none.

I expect this game to go down to the wire - seems that happens every time the Skins and Bucs play.

This is gonna be a really interesting game. I'm going to go on record as saying that the winner will be the team that outcoaches the other. I expect players from both teams to give it their "all," but I really think game plans make a big difference in games like this. Especially considering this is two teams that don't play each other too much but have already played once this year.

It's been very very successful season to me..

Sweeping the girly-boys and being the last team responsible for eliminating them while we reach the playoffs and watching them come out of the tunnel last night...anything else is gravy to me for a predicted 4-12 team, After all their precious sweeps in meaningless seasons for both teams :)

I leave it to Gibbs and the assistants to make decisions and I trust their judgement, but as a fan still desire full domination as my ultimate fantasy goal. Yes I am hoping we win and win big every game.

I'm sure a SB victory and nothing less is acceptable to the players and coaches now that the NEW season has begun.

But I as a skin fan want to thank them for everything they have given me this season.

carry onward and I am looking forward to this team giving it everything they have and fighting their guts out. And in the end isn't that all I can ask for as a fan. Oh that, and a fair NFL game!..

Thank you 2005 Washington Redskins!!! Pride is Back Baby!

Bucs: Cadillac is healthy. Simms has a little more experience. No injuries to key players since the last game.

Skins: Cornelius Griffen is healthy. Redskins are missing Randy Thomas and possibly Springs and Rodgers.

Advantage Bucs on the injury front.

You forgot to add that Sean Taylor is healthy this time, too...he was missing from the last Bucs game.

Negativity Intervention 101

Negativity Intervention 101:

If you begin to feel slightly negative towards the B & G, simply remeber to follow these steps.

Step 1: Do Not Believe Everything you read in the papers or sports sites. These resources are chock full of negativity towards the Skins. They produce praise once in a blue moon.

Step 2: Joe is right. Say it with me..."Coach Gibbs knows way more about football and the Skins than I ever will." You may think you know what's going on, but you aren't anywhere close to having access to the team's strategy or present situation. The best method for getting as close as possible to the information is a daily dose of ES.

Step 3: Trust Joe, even when things seem dire. Remeber, this guy is a winner in everything he's attempted (except for a bad investment in the 80's). He's won multiple Super Bowls, multiple NASCAR championships, and was a world class raquetballer. For the past couple years, he's devoted countless hours to making the Skins better. It turns out that many of his off-season moves were simply genius.

Step 4: Good things are worth waiting for. Unfortunately for Gibbs, he timed his return after a season in which a returning Parcells went 10-6 with the Boys and set the bar high for Gibbs. For some reason, it seemed like everyone measured Gibbs' success based on how he'd compare with Parcells' first year with the Boys. Well, when the Skins went 6-10 (despite many close games and an injured QB), the doubters had a field day. Lesson learned: team rebuilding can take more than a sinlge season. And it looks like Joe is building a foundation made of stone, not sand.

Step 5: When in doubt, just ask Art (and many other veterans of ES). This site can usually provide "the other side" when it comes to a Redskin moment. Just take note of the clarity and cognizance demonstrated by Om and others when it comes to relating their perspective of the team. They truly are Skins fans first and can lead you to the promised land...if only you believe.

Step 6: Do your homework. Part of what generates negativity is a knee jerk reaction to something happening either on or off the field. Everything has a purpose. Do your research and follow the story. Maybe the situation is no big deal. Maybe there's much more to the story than you're seeing from the local rags. Be persistent in your pursuit of the truth.

Good luck.

I'm not a negative fan but I couldn't resist commenting on this:

I'm not sure those injuries force us to alter our playing style. We have always relied on blitzes to get QB pressure. I think this just makes us blitz more, especially from the corners, so that there is no time for our corners to get burned. Style is the same: aggressive, blitzing. Frequency of blitzing may be increased. Could be fun to watch. :)

Wouldn't blitzing more be an alteration to our playing style?

Cadillac was healthy. We shut him down.

Simms has more experience, but teams have more experience with him now. He hasn't played that well lately. Neither has Galloway for that matter. They had a decent game against Atlanta, but, other than that, they have been pretty quiet for the last 5 games.

Archived