Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Glazer: Gibbs tells Williams that he wants him and his assistants to stay

Andre The Giant

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5210434

WILLIAMS STILL HOT FOR THE MIDWEST: After it was reported last week in this space that Gregg Williams was going to be at the top of short lists in Minnesota, St. Louis and Kansas City, FOXSports.com has learned that head coach Joe Gibbs met with Williams to tell him he doesn't want to lose the coach but that if he does, Gibbs would not allow him to take his Redskins defensive assistants.

Williams would also have the opportunity to remain in Washington as defensive coordinator while waiting to take the reins from Gibbs one day. However, Williams knows that while he's hot now, who knows what the future will bring? In the end we believe he ends up the head coach of one of the aforementioned teams. Houston also is expected to ask for permission to interview him on Monday as well if the Redskins lose on Sunday.

If he leaves, he's earned it in spades, and no one should fault him. A guy as driven and gifted as he is needs to follow his star. In his shoes we'd be fools not to look hard at moving back up to the head office. Just a matter of time.

If he stays for another year, it'll be because he realizes he and Gibbs are on the cusp of something great here.

Either way, Williams deserves a TON of respect and goodwill from us. He's earned that too.

I love gibbs...and i have to thank him for what he's said to williams

That being said it is hard to believe that williams would turn down a job in KC or even minnesota but it wouldnt be too shocking to see him stick around if we make a run in the playoffs now and he seems optimistic that gibbs will hand him the rains

hopefully he'll stay........

John Clayton said on Redskins radio before the game he believes Williams stays here. Clayton says Williams is really learning alot from Gibbs about being a head coach and thinks that he will eventually be named Gibbs successor.

Clayton seems to think that as Williams stays and builds up a good relationship with, no amount of money will get him to move, especially if the NFL moves into an uncapped era.

I'm just trying to remember what was said on the radio pregame, so don't take it as gospel.

If he leaves, he's earned it in spades, and no one should fault him. A guy as driven and gifted as he is needs to follow his star. In his shoes we'd be fools not to look hard at moving back up to the head office. Just a matter of time.

If he stays for another year, it'll be because he realizes he and Gibbs are on the cusp of something great here.

Either way, Williams deserves a TON of respect and goodwill from us. He's earned that too.

Well said. If he leaves we should wish him well. He's earned it.

he won't take the job in St. Louis. the organization there is in a state of flux and the way Martz is being shown the door is not going to endear the Rams to high quality coaching candidates.

KC is a good football town and Carl Peterson is a good GM. The challenge there is despite the 10-6 record, the Chiefs are an old team.

KC is going to have to be rebuild.

Hmmm, both Clayton and Mortensen have said they believe Williams will stay. Say what you will about those cats, but they have inside connections and I hope they're correct. I'd have a lot of confidence with Blache, don't get me wrong, but like everyone else I hope Coach W stays on board as DC until he takes over the reins when Coach Joe decides to step down.

HTTR!!!

Archived