Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer Question

PCS

Yep. I've got one. Maybe more. Okay, this could be something as simple as doing some house cleaning or just the way of things with computers. First. Answering the obvious.

Yes. Anti virus at work.

Yes. Spyware up and running and done.

Yes. Cleaned out the internest junk.

No. Sorry Mad Mike. This pc will have to do for now. Can't afford the Mac. ;)

Recently I've noticed some odd circumstances with this here 2 1/2 year old computer, ( that was cleaned up and maintainanced a year ago). Nothing major but sometimes little symptoms can be indicative of some building problems.

When I go into My Documents and look at My Pictures, ( don't start), and notice that the images, up to a point, are no longer listed in numerical or alphabetical order. The past month or so images that have been saved are in oreder of download or edit. I have alot of images stored now due to those photoshop threads and of course, the digital camera shots. Now, when I access those pics through any other program, all is in order. :wtf:

I've also noticed recently that my computer "seizes up" at times when connected to the net. In other words, there are times when I'll try to refresh or go to different pages and the operation times out, ( Using Firefox). This will go on for as long as 5 mins at times. Then works itself out. I have DSL btw. This am, I wake up, ( 7:30 or so :yawnee: ), and though connected, can't get onto net and messenger won't reconnect. Now I understand that sometimes that happens with broadband and did the usual, unplugged the thing and then plugged it back in and life was good. I'm just wondering if any of this is possibly conneceted, ( unintentional pun), and something I should look at. I probably need to do some housecleaning on the thing is all. Figure it can't hurt to ask for any suggestions that some of you all may have.

It sounds to me like in my documents, you changed the sort order to last modified. When you bring up your pics, you can right mouse in the right side of file explorer, and change the sort order to alphabetical.

As far as your seizing problem...that sounds like a dsl issue. I don't think anything is wrong with your computer.

Maybe you don't enough memory available.

:slap: NOOOOOOOO....not YOUR memory, ya big lug. The computer's memory.

How much free/used space on your C drive?

How much RAM?

What's your processor speed?

What's OS?

Are your tires properly inflated?

Gas or charcoal?

Maybe you don't enough memory available.

:slap: NOOOOOOOO....not YOUR memory, ya big lug. The computer's memory.

How much free/used space on your C drive?

How much RAM?

What's your processor speed?

What's OS?

Are your tires properly inflated?

Gas or charcoal?

Rubs head. Ouch.

:rubeyes:

Ummmmmmmmmm.

Gas. Just don't tell Art. :paranoid:

;)

Oh man, I'm near tears from laughing so hard. :laugh:

When I saw the title of the thread I opened it up fully intending on posting "get a Mac". I guess I'm getting too predictable. :D Then again, maybe not. I recently bought compaq laptop. (windows still sux but I needed a bridge to the PC world and the laptop rocks from a hardware standpoint)

Anyway, I hate to say it but you may be a victim of this...

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6011406.html

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Spyware/index.php?p=734

Just a guess but a worm that is using your computer to propogate would slow your system to a crawl.

It sounds to me like in my documents, you changed the sort order to last modified. When you bring up your pics, you can right mouse in the right side of file explorer, and change the sort order to alphabetical.

As far as your seizing problem...that sounds like a dsl issue. I don't think anything is wrong with your computer.

Okay. me> :dunce:

Though it does need some housecleaning for sure.

Thanks Mike. I see you've finally made the first steps to the Dark Side. ;) Beast is doing better. Ax. Tire pressure good too. ;)

Mac, eww

McDonalds should have stuck to burgers.

I have noticed the same thing with firefox lately PSC, and I am on cable.

I think your PC is most likely ok, but I can get you some benchmark software if you really want to run some tests to make 100% sure.

Mac, eww

McDonalds should have stuck to burgers.

I have noticed the same thing with firefox lately PSC, and I am on cable.

I think your PC is most likely ok, but I can get you some benchmark software if you really want to run some tests to make 100% sure.

Thanks big guy. So far so good right now, except the litte trouble on the site, but I may take you up on that if some housecleaning and such doesn't seem to help.

When is the last time you reinstalled the operating system? If your answer is "never" or "2 years ago" then back up your files, reformat, reinstall. See if someone can help you partition your hard drive to make such a step easier in the future.

When is the last time you reinstalled the operating system? If your answer is "never" or "2 years ago" then back up your files, reformat, reinstall. See if someone can help you partition your hard drive to make such a step easier in the future.

Last October. Took it in to the shop and they did the whole shooting match. Thanks though. Good thought.

Archived