Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Letter to the WP Editor, 12/30/05 (Re Shapiro)

Om

Pursuant to Len Shapiro's love-tap to ES ...

I'm doubtful this will see the light of day at the WP, but I feel better already for having sent it.

To the Editor,

I am left to wonder if Leonard Shapiro’s stunning potshot at Extremeskins.com (Honoring and Dishonoring the NFL's Best, 12/29/05) is the personal animus it appears, or if there is perhaps more to the story. Casually and dismissively labeling a diverse community of nearly 50,000 men and women as “despicable,” with nary a hint of context or justification, is beyond bush league–it is crass and unprofessional.

Surely the Washington Post is above such pettiness?

The community Mr. Shapiro so smugly denigrates is entirely “accountable.” It is a debate forum where opinions and free exchange of ideas are actively encouraged. As such, we renew our standing invitation to Mr. Shapiro to descend from his Ivory Tower and hold himself to the same standards he apparently finds so lacking in others.

Our growing community of consumers will watch with keen interest to see whether there is substance behind Mr. Shapiro and his own “venom,” or if he instead continues to stick out his well-paid tongue at the very fan base he purports to write for, safely ensconced all the while behind his employer's institutional skirts.

Mark Steven

Extremeskins.com

Pursuant to Len Shapiro's love-tap to ES, as noted and discussed here ...

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135709

I'm doubtful this will see the light of day at the WP, but I feel better already for having sent it.

To the Editor,

I am left to wonder if Leonard Shapiro’s stunning potshot at Extremeskins.com (Honoring and Dishonoring the NFL's Best, 12/29/05) is the personal animus it appears, or if there is perhaps more to the story. Casually and dismissively labeling a diverse community of nearly 50,000 men and women as “despicable,” with nary a hint of context or justification, is beyond bush league–it is crass and unprofessional.

The community Mr. Shapiro so smugly denigrates is entirely “accountable.” It is a debate forum where opinions and free exchange of ideas are actively encouraged. As such, we renew our standing invitation to Mr. Shapiro to descend from his Ivory Tower and hold himself to the same standards he apparently finds so lacking in others.

Our growing community of consumers will watch with keen interest to see whether there is substance behind Mr. Shapiro and his own “venom,” or if he instead continues to stick out his well-paid tongue at the very fan base he purports to write for, safely ensconced all the while behind his employer's institutional skirts.

Mark Steven

Extremeskins.com

Wonderful letter Mark,

I hope you don't mind me passing it along today.

...............or if he instead continues to stick out his well-paid tongue at the very fan base he purports to write for............

Well put Om, but since when has the Post even pretended to write "for" us?

They dont write articles to please Skins fans, why else do they have the likes of Shapiro, UnWise Mike, and Sally Jenkins on payroll? All three of these writers are openly hostile towards Skins fans.

My own letter:

As a lifelong Redskins fan, I take exception to Leonard Shapiro's latest article "Honoring and Dishonoring the NFL's Best." The last paragraph of the article states "Worst web site: Extremeskins.com, now owned and operated by the Washington Redskins and a place where no-accountability venom remains the lifeblood of a despicable operation."

Not only is this not true (it is owned by the Redskins, but is operated by the same staff that have operated it for 5 years), but it is calling nearly 50,000 Redskins fans "despicable." Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I'm sure many of the Extremeskins fans are also regular readers of the Post, and if they feel like I do after reading that statement, I expect to see your list of subscribers dwindle by quite a few.

Extremeskins is a community, an open forum where Redskins fans can discuss all things related to the team, including the press coverage of the team. It encourages accountability for the press, and it sounds like something hit a little too close to home for Mr. Shapiro.

Thank you for the free advertising Mr. Shapiro, and thank you for making me proud to be a "despicable" Redskins fan.

Bryan Shew

Extremeskins.com member

Pursuant to Len Shapiro's love-tap to ES ...

To the Editor,

Mark Steven

Extremeskins.com

Little would he know that for us die hard 'Skins fans that live outside the DC area, this is the BEST source of info for our love. Yes, we get it all here. Not only the article and the blurbs from onlines sources, but opinions and everything else. Then again, he wouldn't know that though because must come off the 5th floor of 1515 L. Street.

My own letter:

As a lifelong Redskins fan, I take exception to Leonard Shapiro's latest article "Honoring and Dishonoring the NFL's Best." The last paragraph of the article states "Worst web site: Extremeskins.com, now owned and operated by the Washington Redskins and a place where no-accountability venom remains the lifeblood of a despicable operation."

Not only is this not true (it is owned by the Redskins, but is operated by the same staff that have operated it for 5 years), but it is calling nearly 50,000 Redskins fans "despicable." Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I'm sure many of the Extremeskins fans are also regular readers of the Post, and if they feel like I do after reading that statement, I expect to see your list of subscribers dwindle by quite a few.

Extremeskins is a community, an open forum where Redskins fans can discuss all things related to the team, including the press coverage of the team. It encourages accountability for the press, and it sounds like something hit a little too close to home for Mr. Shapiro.

Thank you for the free advertising Mr. Shapiro, and thank you for making me proud to be a "despicable" Redskins fan.

Bryan Shew

Extremeskins.com member

Whose Bryan? :laugh:

Very nice letters fellas.

The team, and its fans are on the verge of its dreams, making the playoffs, and the Post has stepped up its game and gone out of its way to be negative, derogative, and insulting. Nice job fellas. :applause:

Little would he know that for us die hard 'Skins fans that live outside the DC area, this is the BEST source of info for our love. Yes, we get it all here. Not only the article and the blurbs from onlines sources, but opinions and everything else. Then again, he wouldn't know that though because must come off the 5th floor of 1515 L. Street.

He could know, but still would not care. You said "for us die hard 'Skins fans that live outside the DC area, this is the BEST source of info for our love."

Well, it used to be that the Post was about the ONLY place most fans could learn about the team. With the advent of the Internet and not only places like this but this place, they are no longer to only game in town.

Because of the affiliation with the team, ES is able (IMO) to provide us with access and information that at times even the Post cannot. They understand this and it means something.

Archived