Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green was Great, But Does Anyone Here Remember Pat Fischer?

melonhead1959

5-10, maybe 180 in pads....not very fast, but fearless and ferocious at the cornerback position, Drafted by the Cardinals in 1961, joined the Redskins in 1968(i believe). Played thru the 1977 season. Used to LOVE watching him defend against 6'8" Harold Carmichael of the Eagles. A master of bump and run coverage that was allowed in those days.

Wasn't beneath him to deliver an elbow or a shot out of bounds. Very Intimidating. Recievers feared and loathed him.

Like you said He played BUMP N RUN Coverage....I saw him play Many Games...he was GREAT...as for Darrell a Completely DIFFERENT DB in a COMPLETELY Different ERA....PAT could NOT Survive in today's NFL ...and DG might not have Survived in Pat's Era.....

Both INCREDIBLE DB'S for the SKIN'S !!!

I know this may make some of you feel old........

My grandfather is the biggest Pat Fischer supporter of all time. He is a negative, funny old guy (think George's dad from seinfeld, but not so loud) and he complains constantly about football. He always references Pat Fischer saying "now that was a football player, he could hit unlike these wimps that play football today." Also, anyone he doesn't like he calls a "slopehead." Jay Schroeder is the original "slopehead," but nowadays its ramsey. My grandfather is the man.

Pat Fischer was an awesome player for his size.

He was one of my favorite players in my younger years as a Skins fan.

Here are a couple of pics I took at the Redskin Reunion last year of Pat.

The second one is of Pat with Darrell Green. They were seeing who was the tallest here. Darrell was taller by an inche.

well, the senior citizen redskin i am, believe me, not seeing pat play is something any true football fan would say is really a missed time in sports history. it was not just harold carmichael. pat dared any back, receiver to venture into his territory. he would deliver hits like a linebacker at 170 pounds soaking wet. he makes corners today look like they are playing flag football which most of them are in comparison. he not only would punish you, he could defend you. he was truly a great one, and i would give anything to see another like him. the sad thing it takes guys like sean taylor and roy williams over 200 pounds to do the same hits that he did at 5 ft 8 inches and maybe 170 pounds, but he out did all todays with his cover skills. as they say the good old days, when men were men.

Had the opportunity to work out with Pat when he was with the Skins.

I'll never forget the hit he put on Wilbert Montgomery from the Eagles; he meet him head on, outweighed by at least 40 lbs, wrapped up a drove him back a good 5 yards.

It would put most Jacked-Up clips to shame.

There was three players I always heard my Dad talk about, Sammy Baugh, Charlie Taylor and Pat Fischer. To hear him talk Pat Fischer was the hardest hitting DB to ever play the game. I've never personnaly seen him play but my Dad had the utmost respect for him.

I saw the NFL films special on him a few weeks ago, I never realized how great this guy was, I would have loved to have seen him play back in the day. It's hilarious here's this nerdy looking little guy out there bustin' some heads!

yea, i remember watching the NFL films interview they had with him. anyone who didnt know who he was or how he played would think: "this lil nerdy guy played in the NFL?!??" with them thick dorky professor glasses. then when you see him on the field, you literally think he is out to kill someone. i have never seen a meaner face on the field of a football game. i also love how he said that you would have to "pay the penalty" if any reciever caught a ball on him. truly a great redskin.

5-10, maybe 180 in pads....not very fast, but fearless and ferocious at the cornerback position, Drafted by the Cardinals in 1961, joined the Redskins in 1968(i believe). Played thru the 1977 season. Used to LOVE watching him defend against 6'8" Harold Carmichael of the Eagles. A master of bump and run coverage that was allowed in those days.

Wasn't beneath him to deliver an elbow or a shot out of bounds. Very Intimidating. Recievers feared and loathed him.

I watched him play as a kid. It was freakish to watch he and Carmichael battle. Harold looked like an NBA center next to Fischer. Pat was a great corner and got burned by Harold more often than not, but Harold's lack of speed kept things close.

Archived