Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox Sports: Vermeil most likely gone (Greg Williams tablet inside)

adarsh1

What has made the real difference in the 4th quarter?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What has made the real difference in the 4th quarter?

• More aggressive playcalling
    • Better execution of conservative gameplan
    • Combination of both

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5195060

Vermeil not expected to return as Chiefs' coach

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Posted: 4 days ago

The Kansas City Chiefs will be looking for a new coach within the next eight or nine days if they miss the playoffs. If they make the first round of the playoffs and lose, they'll be looking for a new coach within 14-15 days.

Head coach Dick Vermeil will not be brought back as the team's head coach, even if the Chiefs make it to the playoffs. Vermeil has talked about whether or not he wants to come back but it will not be Vermeil's call. Instead, he'll either retire or simply be told they will not re-sign him following the team's last loss — unless they take a sudden and drastic run to the championship round, a long shot at best.

"It's no secret in the locker room," said one Chiefs vet. "We know what the deal is and I think Dick is showing signs that he knows too."

Basically, it's time for a change as the Chiefs tried it Vermeil's way, only to fall short of the ultimate prize. Now, as the team heads toward the final years of an aging offense, they're going to try a much-needed fresh approach.

Another rumor to squash is the status of Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders. Saunders, without a doubt, will not be the team's next head coach despite the recommendation of Vermeil. In fact, Vermeil doesn't have enough recommendations to get Saunders the head gig. That's not to say Saunders isn't held in high regard as the team's coordinator; he's simply not going to be the team's head coach.

Names to replace Vermeil include college coaches such as Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops as well as NFLers Herm Edwards (if he can get out of his Jets deal) and Washington's defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Inspirational return ... almost

Word spread throughout the New York Giants locker room faster than a Tiki Barber sweep. The Giants had actually brought back the organization's most popular player of the last decade for a workout, sending hopeful and enthusiastic players scrambling for any information.

Several Giants players told FOXSports.com that the Giants actually worked out former Giants co-captain and Pro Bowler Jessie Armstead earlier this week, but didn't sign him after they felt he wasn't able to run the way they were hoping.

The possible signing of Armstead sent players like Michael Strahan, Tiki Barber and Amani Toomer to fantasize about what such a reunion would have meant.

"You couldn't imagine what having Jessie back in the locker room would do for our morale," said Strahan. "Guys would get so pumped up if he was back. It would have really been a huge, I mean huge, lift for us."

"Having Jessie come back, just to have him in the locker room alone, would have been extremely inspirational for a lot of guys," said Barber.

Armstead told FOX Sports he was hoping to sign with the team he left after making several Pro Bowls a few years ago. Since his exodus from the Big Apple, the Pro Bowl backer spent time in Washington and Carolina but is always associated with his time as the weakside Giants backer.

Instead of signing Armstead, the team went with Roman Pfifer, who had to actually sit during his first week of practice.

Williams a wanted man

Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will have his choice of where he wants to be head coach. In fact, at least five teams have already let it be known in how much regard they hold the hot assistant. Williams will have to make a decision this week between teams such as the Rams, Chiefs, Texans and perhaps even the Vikings.

This is a completely different Williams than the one who coached in Buffalo. In fact, last year after Niners head coach Mike Nolan was hired for his first head coaching job, Williams met privately with Nolan at the Senior Bowl and gave him a two-hour lesson on exactly where he messed up his tenure in Buffalo and how Nolan could avoid making the same mistakes.

Give Williams credit, as most head coaches who are canned come up with blame for everyone but themselves.

For those wondering what the best pieces of advice were for Nolan — wait to hire the assistants you'll be comfortable with. There's an awful lot of pressure from the owner to have a staff fast to make it look like they got the best. Williams told Nolan to withstand the pressure and get "his guys." Williams admittedly did the opposite.

Williams also said he changed who he was into what he thought the owner wanted him to be. He changed to impress the man who pays his checks even though he was hired because the owner liked what he initially saw.

Williams has now learned his lessons and is even able to voice it to others. He needs to have his own class at the Learning Annex, doesn't he?

Pop the cork

The San Diego Chargers didn't need any in-flight booze to KC this week. The '72 Dolphins made sure that they were stocked. The Fins sent Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer a case of champagne this week for beating Indy to keep that 1972 team the only undefeated team in modern history. The Chargers coach gave out bottles to members of the Chargers staff.

The question I have... that nobody has addressed... is that if Williams DOES leave, which Redskin assistants will he take with him?

I could really see him taking Danny Smith... Danny was always Gregg's guy. Maybe he'll give him some sort of promotion, i.e. defensive coordinator, etc.

I think Greg Blache would stay and take GW's job, and I think Dale Lindsey would stay as well.

*edit*

(and adarsh1, you might want to edit your post to follow the guidelines of posting articles from other sources)

Why isn't all of this speculation about Williams' future as much of a distraction as the LaVar comments?

Just curious.

Because Williams, unlike Lavar, understands what it means to be a professional and is keeping his mouth shut until the appropriate time.

Lavar is inviting reporters over to his house during the work week before the biggest game of the year and creating drama and then not even being man enough to own up to the statements after the article is published.

its a little different when the idea is already on the table. A lot of people already speculated that williams was going to leave after this season. But, this whole Lavar thing came out of nowhere. Sure, people had the idea that lavar was going to get traded, but, from what everyone could tell, lavar was happy in D.C. its just a little bit of a different situation than what GW is going through

Williams has already said he likes it here. He has a kid in school here. He has a team that is improving here. If we don't get to the bowl, I think he's a big enough competitor to want one more shot at it here.

There are head coach jobs he would be interested in, but I think he'll wait for the right one, and not just leap at something to do it. I think Snyder and Gibbs will understand if he chooses to go. But I also think Snyder will make a counter offer to keep him around.

Personally, I'd like to see Gibbs step down after next year and Williams take over with Gibbs as an assistant or contractor. Smooth transition to a similar system. In Gibbs we trust, but Williams is a worthy successor.

Williams has already said he likes it here. He has a kid in school here. He has a team that is improving here. If we don't get to the bowl, I think he's a big enough competitor to want one more shot at it here.

There are head coach jobs he would be interested in, but I think he'll wait for the right one, and not just leap at something to do it. I think Snyder and Gibbs will understand if he chooses to go. But I also think Snyder will make a counter offer to keep him around.

Personally, I'd like to see Gibbs step down after next year and Williams take over with Gibbs as an assistant or contractor. Smooth transition to a similar system. In Gibbs we trust, but Williams is a worthy successor.

I want to see Gibbs coach as long as he wants to. I'm a big Williams fan, but Gibbs is the man.

The question I have... that nobody has addressed... is that if Williams DOES leave, which Redskin assistants will he take with him?

I could really see him taking Danny Smith... Danny was always Gregg's guy. Maybe he'll give him some sort of promotion, i.e. defensive coordinator, etc.

I think Greg Blache would stay and take GW's job, and I think Dale Lindsey would stay as well.

*edit*

(and adarsh1, you might want to edit your post to follow the guidelines of posting articles from other sources)

If Gibbs stays, which he says he will, Gibbs is not going to let there be a lot of turn around in his coaching staff.....and everyone is under contract......he will not let Williams take them.....

This is if Williams leaves....

I am going to say, I have been fooled many a times in the past with the whole " I am comfortable here, I got a great group of people, great players, love the town, my children are in school here" etc. etc.......

But I just feel like he wants to take over this franchise, he knows Gibbs is not going to be here forever......he knows how much Gibbs likes/respects him......and knows that once Gibbs leaves as coach he is still going to have authority in the franchise as a part-owner (I am pretty sure these were some of the incentives in him signing, someone correct me if I am wrong)

You know that Snyder will match any money another team wants to offer him.....Snyder has hundreds of millions invested in the players, in bringing back Gibbs, why not throw out four or five more to keep Williams who a lot of people believe is what gives us the force we have on D......

The X factor is this: Does Williams get along with Snyder? That really is not apparent because we know that Snyder loves Gibbs and am sure that Snyder is going to be Diplomatic with Williams to please Gibbs.......

To Snyder, Gibbs is like a father figure, his hero.......For Snyder Wiliams really is just another coach, and a coach with a HUGE ego.......

So it really comes down to what is the real relationship between Snyder and Williams.......

Your crazy, with all due respect to Williams, I want Gibbs for the entire 5 year contract and if Williams is still here then we can make him the head coach.

Your crazy, with all due respect to Williams, I want Gibbs for the entire 5 year contract and if Williams is still here then we can make him the head coach.

I want Gibbs too. However, I take a realistic view of the man. He's not a young man anymore. Not even middle aged. 65 years old. He's got fairly serious health problems that conflict with the regimen he puts himself through steering the Redskins. He may be able to continue coaching for the full 5 years of his contract. Maybe even beyond. However, I don't think he will be able to maintain the pace he demands of himself. I think that may lead to him backing off, or stepping down.

Williams understands Gibbs-style football. He understands the schemes in place. He has had a say in the way the team is built. He knows the players. Most importantly, if he manages to resist the temptation to leave this year, I find it doubtful that he would continue to do so following next year.

I'd rather have Williams at the helm when Gibbs steps down. It's better if the transition is an orderly one. But if you delay it for too long, Williams will be gone, and you face a problem like we did after he left the first time. A decade where we lost our identity as a team, and our game play suffered for it.

Just :2cents:

i don't get why becoming a head coach is the end of all ... at least the way the media portrays it.

look at the talent, leadership, everything, we have going for us on this team. this season has been unbelievable in terms of improvement and controversy, and getting this far... i just don't see how we can go 10-6 and get into the playoffs (or, good lord... 9-7) and have such a bright future ahead of us, and GW just up and goes? why? philosophically, what are you graduating to??

the legacy of JG and GW being in Washington would be hard to beat and would certainly go down alongside the staff of the 80s and early 90s.

Actually he'll have six teams to choose from, including remaining on this staff and waiting a couple of years for Joe Gibbs to retire. That way, he can help build the team that he wants and have it waiting for him rather than some pig in a poke, with some other team.

i'm with you dude, hope we can hold on to him

over with Gibbs as an assistant or contractor. Smooth transition to a similar system. In Gibbs we trust, but Williams is a worthy successor.

I will walk from D.C. to Bristol if that ever happened! :silly:

But here comes another crazy hypothetical...

would it be crazy for the skins to announce that Williams will be Gibbs successor, now? I guess so, but it would ease alot of minds and you know someone like Joe would not be that threatned?

If I thought Williams would resist the head coach position long enough for Gibbs to finish out, I'd agree with you all. But I don't think that is the case. And I don't have faith that Gibbs will last for the full 5. Not because he doesn't WANT to, but because he's physically incapable of the maintaining the levels he requires of himself.

Best case scenario for me would be GW staying around until Gibbs chooses to step down. I just don't think that will happen.

Archived