Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OFFICIAL UPDATE: Brunell's Health Status (MERGED)

Rypien1191

just saw this...

Brunell Says He's 'Day-to-day' With Sprained Knee

http://sports.iwon.com/news/12262005/v2129.html

Dec 26, 1:43 PM (ET) Email this Story

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell had his sprained right knee examined Monday morning and said he was "day-to-day" for next week's game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"It's a day-to-day thing," Brunell said. "I had an MRI today. It feels better than it did on Saturday and I think each day I'll improve a little bit more."

Brunell was injured when he was sacked in the third quarter of Saturday's 35-20 victory over the New York Giants. Patrick Ramsey finished the game and will start against the Eagles if Brunell can't play.

A victory at Philadelphia would give the Redskins their first playoff berth in six years.

"We've worked real hard and we've put ourselves in a position where we can get in the playoffs," Brunell said, "and obviously this game is critical."

I'd consider letting him sit this weekend, depending on how Ramsey plays. If he's REALLY "day to day", that means he probably won't be 100% for next week's game. The Eagles haven't exactly been lighting it up, and I think we can beat them with Patrick in there. However, should PR stink it up early, consider making a replacement with the less than 100% Brunell prior to halftime.

Well, fortunately for ALL of us Redskin fans, the attitude that our opponents "haven't exactly been lighting it up" will have NO - That means NOT ANY - part in any decision that a quality coach like Gibbs would make. In a big game like this, you absolutely go with what you feel is your BEST lineup, not one that you feel won't "dig too deep" a hole for you. Since Dallas does not play until after we do, we HAVE to win this one. Gibbs will calculate what he feels gives us our best chance to win, taking everything into consideration. He's done pretty damn well so far - put a little confidence in him.

Isn't a sprain a partial tear? Also, I think this has been posted already.

Oh, to answer my own questions... Not necessarily...

"A sprain is a stretch and/or tear of a ligament (a band of fibrous tissue that connects two or more bones at a joint). One or more ligaments can be injured at the same time. The severity of the injury will depend on the extent of injury (whether a tear is partial or complete) and the number of ligaments involved."

According to ESPN's Monday Quarterback show (on ESPN2 now), Brunell's knee is "Day to Day" after his MRI today...so there's a good chance we'll have him for the game in Filthy. :applause: :applause: :applause:

*As a side note, they also say that we have the most rushing yards in the NFL since week 13...nice stat to have. :D

If he is healthy - or close - then I'm happy to have Brunell back. What worries me is that if he is only 80% or worse we saw last year that he can not get it done with a gammy leg.

If there is a doubt we should start Patrick. This is a game we should be able to win without asking our QB to light it up.

Here's to the playoffs and chance for revenge in Tampa ?

HTTR

Martin

If he is healthy - or close - then I'm happy to have Brunell back. What worries me is that if he is only 80% or worse we saw last year that he can not get it done with a gammy leg.

If there is a doubt we should start Patrick. This is a game we should be able to win without asking our QB to light it up.

I hear you. We all saw how horrible Mark Brunell was last year on a bad plant leg. Now, he's hurt that same leg. If he can't plant and drive the ball, he might revert to his 2004 form. Even if Brunell is okay physically, if he thinks it's gimpy he still might overcompensate and revert to his 2004 form.

Assuming he's capable, I think the Redskins should start Brunell on a short leash. In his short appearance Ramsey looked like he really matured. I think Gibbs trusts him a lot more now than he did at the beginning of the season.

Worst-case scenario is that Gibbs starts a hurting Brunell and stays with him too long. It would be a wonderful bookend of an irony that the Redskins great season started with a short-hook but ended because the Redskins failed to replace an obviously ailing QB.

Does anyone else find it weird that both this year and last year, Brunell suffered injuries to his plant leg against the Giants? The only difference is, last year Brunell and the Offense were struggling and when Ramsey came in relief he played so/so, and this year our offense has been consistent and Ramsey played well in relief. It's a comforting contrast between year one and year two of the Gibbs regime.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/9117383

Brunell says he's 'day-to-day'

NFL.com wire reports

ASHBURN, Va. (Dec. 26, 2005) -- Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell had his sprained right knee examined Dec. 26 and said he was "day-to-day" for next week's game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"It's a day-to-day thing," Brunell said. "I had an MRI today. It feels better than it did on Saturday and I think each day I'll improve a little bit more."

Brunell was injured when he was sacked in the third quarter of the team's 35-20 victory over the New York Giants. Patrick Ramsey finished the game and will start against the Eagles if Brunell can't play.

A victory at Philadelphia would give the Redskins their first playoff berth in six years.

"We've worked real hard and we've put ourselves in a position where we can get in the playoffs," Brunell said, "and obviously this game is critical."

Portis is also going to play QB?

He IS the man!!

;)

I want THE BEST AVAILABLE out there on Sunday.

Blondie

If only he could kick!

BTW....re: your sig....is looking like Dagwood an advantage or a obstacle? :D

How about Tarzan?

cause I don't look like him either.

I don't know the deal on the field at the Linc. Anyone know if it's grass, turf, or that hybrid combination? I wouldn't let Mark play on Sunday if that surface is astroturf. Play it safe; win with Ramsey.....he can deliver for us, can make all the passes, and will actually look at more than just Santana. Could be the beginning of something special.

Archived