Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Osi Umenyiora gets contract extension

PleaseBlitz

Good, now he can relax.

Six-year extension includes $15 million guaranteed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2270401

(Were not supposed to post the whole thing right?)

Christmas came early for New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora.

Friday night, ESPN.com learned Umenyiora had followed up the first Pro Bowl selection of his career earlier this week by agreeing to a landmark six-year contract extension.

The extension, which runs through the 2012 season, totals just under $41 million and includes $15 million in guarantees. The three-year veteran, who is second in the league in sacks with 12½, will make about $21 million in the first three years of the contract.

The deal, negotiated by the Manhattan-based agency Sportstars -- where Brian Mackler, Alan Herman, James Ivler and Jason Chayut are the principal representatives -- will be officially executed in the next few days.

The guaranteed part of the contract is believed to be the largest ever awarded to a three-year veteran.

"The Giants have always demonstrated a proactive stance with their talented, young players and this is the latest example of their approach," said Mackler, who was the point man in negotiations, but declined to discuss specifics of the contract. "This moves Osi into a category with the most elite ends in the game, and that's saying something for a player who hasn't even completed his third season yet."

I respect him, Pierce (that hurts seeing his name for a Giants fan so soon after his departure.)

I wish the SKins would start drafting bleedin' D Linemen already. We coulda had Umenyiora in 2003, instead of Jacobs. We could have had Merriman (not that I'm hating on Rogers at all.)

There are guys like Shaun Philips for SD that you can grab in a lower round, why we don't make an effort to pick guys like that up, I don't know.

There's a reason he set the record for signing bonuses given to 3rd year players. Teams don't give these types of contracts to 3rd year players.

As of Nov, NY was 2.05 million under the cap. With a signing bonus this large, somebody is not returning to this team next season. Which is another reason some teams don't renegotiate during the season, it starts speculation.

There's a reason he set the record for signing bonuses given to 3rd year players. Teams don't give these types of contracts to 3rd year players.

As of Nov, NY was 2.05 million under the cap. With a signing bonus this large, somebody is not returning to this team next season. Which is another reason some teams don't renegotiate during the season, it starts spectulation.

Barrett Green

Get your popcorn ready for this conversation:

Do you know me...

I'm Tiki Barber. I just had two consecutive season of fantastic football and was mentioned in MVP conversations in 2005. I see you are throwing money around claiming it shows your proactive approach to good players.

I'm ready for my extension. I would like it to be something close to L. Tomlinson.

That's why I carry my agents express calling card. Don't leave home without it.

That's alot of money for a player that is not complete. I like him and thought that he would be a good player in a Skin's uniform. But I don't know about 15 million. I was thinking more along the line of 10. But the Giants like to drive the market once in a while, good luck. Atleast we will be able to run on the lft side from now on.

Get your popcorn ready for this conversation:

Do you know me...

I'm Tiki Barber. I just had two consecutive season of fantastic football and was mentioned in MVP conversations in 2005. I see you are throwing money around claiming it shows your proactive approach to good players.

I'm ready for my extension. I would like it to be something close to L. Tomlinson.

That's why I carry my agents express calling card. Don't leave home without it.

Tiki Barber was taken care of earlier in the year. Next.

I respect him, Pierce (that hurts seeing his name for a Giants fan so soon after his departure.)

I wish the SKins would start drafting bleedin' D Linemen already. We coulda had Umenyiora in 2003, instead of Jacobs. We could have had Merriman (not that I'm hating on Rogers at all.)

There are guys like Shaun Philips for SD that you can grab in a lower round, why we don't make an effort to pick guys like that up, I don't know.

I agree.....barring last week, we have not seen much pressure on the opposing QB all season.....we have great line for run defense, but we need a Dwight Freeney or a Jason Taylor or someone of that calibur on our line to create mismatches and get to the QB a lot more than we do now

You guys seem to have no respect for the Giants do you?all I can say is we will see tommrow.:cheers:

I am pretty sure that whether we fans respect the opponent or not has no bearing whatsoever on the final score.

If we really did disrespect the Giants, doing it here, on a REDSKINS board shouldn't be an issue anyway. The bad way to do it would be to go to a Giants board and complain about every comment made about the Redskins by their fans. Also, pointing out that we smoked you the last time you showed up in DC, but as far as I can tell (since I don't go to Giants sites) none of us here are doing that. :2cents:

Plenty of Giants fans are doing exactly that though and getting mad because this isn't a Giants board and the Redskins fans won't wear blue. :gaintsuck

Merry Ass Woopin' Today G-Girls. I feel it...ya know that feelin ya get as a Skins fan when you know you've turned the corner...well, okay I think this is what it feels like to turn the corner and I think we'll get it done big time today. I just feel a big win for the Burgandy and Gold comin' today. Chris Samuels owns Osi today and Jansen won't have to worry about Strahan because we're gonna run between the tackles and throw down the middle of the field...that's the Giant's weakness. You heard it here first. I made a prediction after the first Portis run last week that he would run for 175 yards, well he didn't but we had a total of 171 yards on the ground. So...I'm basically a half-genius.

Thanks for listening--ha ha

Merry Christmas Eve Washington!

HTTR!

Respect is something that's earned. If Osi has a good season next year i'll give him credit, but for now he could just be a one hit wonder

He actually played very well last year after Strahan went down, he had like 8 sacks in 8 starts with a couple forced fumbles. No one heard about it since their season went down hill...

Archived