Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs Knows Football

atloldskin

Before our hopeful win over the Giants but after the most spectacular thrashing of the Cowboys I have ever seen by any team, I offer a few comments on Joe (especially for the younger fans and all of those people who thought football had "passed" ole Joe by):

1) I thought it would take Joe three years to take this team to the playoffs; we are two victories away (and that is after the bad call against Tampa Bay);

2) This team has been in every game this year, except the Giants game. With a few plays either way, we could have the best record in the NFC despite a very tough schedule. This team is jelling together; it has depth; it believes in Coach; and it is learning to win. We are getting physical on both sides of the ball and we are a much younger team.

3) Does anybody still question the following moves by Joe: hiring Greg Williams; trading Coles for Moss; cutting Rod Gardner; drafting Rogers over Mike Williams; letting Smoot go; benching LaVar to get his attention; signing Brunnell; trading Bailey for Portis; trading up to grab Cooley; signing Rabach; signing Washington, Springs and Griffin?? I mean other than not re-signing Pierce, I am not sure that I would question a move with hind-sight??

4) Next year we get a WR from free agency and draft a nice TE and DL. And we allow Campbell time to learn! Go Skins!

I agree with pretty much everything you posted. I am thrilled with Gibbs. Beating the Cowboys is one thing. Sweeping the Cowboys is another. Curshing them harder than any Redskin team has ever done inthe history of the Redskins is another. And then there's our division record, which even if we lose out will be the best we've had in four years. (And if we split our next two games, Gibbs will have earned the best division record since he left.) And of course the whole we might make the playoffs thing. That's all good.

That said, I wouldn't say ALL his personnel decisions have been perfect. I'm not sure trading up for Campbell was a great idea. I'm not sure we should have given up on Ramsey so soon, and in my opinion we paid too much for Brunell. These are fairly minor gripes, to be sure, but since you asked... I really hope Campbell is the real deal, because by abandoning Ramsey and sticking with Brunell we are putting an awful lot of stock in the kid. If Campbell does turn out to be a decent QB, Gibbs will have us going deep intothe playoffs for the next few years. I have no doubt of that. But we don't know yet how he'll work out.

Before our hopeful win over the Giants but after the most spectacular thrashing of the Cowboys I have ever seen by any team, I offer a few comments on Joe (especially for the younger fans and all of those people who thought football had "passed" ole Joe by):

1) I thought it would take Joe three years to take this team to the playoffs; we are two victories away (and that is after the bad call against Tampa Bay);

2) This team has been in every game this year, except the Giants game. With a few plays either way, we could have the best record in the NFC despite a very tough schedule. This team is jelling together; it has depth; it believes in Coach; and it is learning to win. We are getting physical on both sides of the ball and we are a much younger team.

3) Does anybody still question the following moves by Joe: hiring Greg Williams; trading Coles for Moss; cutting Rod Gardner; drafting Rogers over Mike Williams; letting Smoot go; benching LaVar to get his attention; signing Brunnell; trading Bailey for Portis; trading up to grab Cooley; signing Rabach; signing Washington, Springs and Griffin?? I mean other than not re-signing Pierce, I am not sure that I would question a move with hind-sight??

4) Next year we get a WR from free agency and draft a nice TE and DL. And we allow Campbell time to learn! Go Skins!

I'm sure you know this already, but we could be one victory away from the playoffs, if we win and Cowboys, Falcons, and Vikes lose. Vegas says the smart money says that is exactly what will happen.

and although i absolutely love portis in burgandy and gold, i always had this feeling that i was gonna watch Champ follow in Green's footsteps

he started playing around the time that i got really into redskins football and i really liked the way he played, i was in all my glory when he picked off bledsoe the other week, i jumped up and yelled 'he still hates dallas'

I agree with pretty much everything you posted. I am thrilled with Gibbs. Beating the Cowboys is one thing. Sweeping the Cowboys is another. Curshing them harder than any Redskin team has ever done inthe history of the Redskins is another. And then there's our division record, which even if we lose out will be the best we've had in four years. (And if we split our next two games, Gibbs will have earned the best division record since he left.) And of course the whole we might make the playoffs thing. That's all good.

That said, I wouldn't say ALL his personnel decisions have been perfect. I'm not sure trading up for Campbell was a great idea. I'm not sure we should have given up on Ramsey so soon, and in my opinion we paid too much for Brunell. These are fairly minor gripes, to be sure, but since you asked... I really hope Campbell is the real deal, because by abandoning Ramsey and sticking with Brunell we are putting an awful lot of stock in the kid. If Campbell does turn out to be a decent QB, Gibbs will have us going deep intothe playoffs for the next few years. I have no doubt of that. But we don't know yet how he'll work out.

Henry, if you don't mind, I'm going to ride your coat-tails since I basically agree with you, almost word-for-word.

Our only (very slight) difference would be that I found myself quickly ready to sit Ramsey just when Gibbs did, but I really hated, and hold Pat acoountable, for it ever getting to that situation. I'm on the side that it turned out to be a key and positive decision even with Mark's limitations.

Man, I can't wait for tomorrow! :point2sky

:gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck

and although i absolutely love portis in burgandy and gold, i always had this feeling that i was gonna watch Champ follow in Green's footsteps

he started playing around the time that i got really into redskins football and i really liked the way he played, i was in all my glory when he picked off bledsoe the other week, i jumped up and yelled 'he still hates dallas'

Once a Redskin, always a Redskin. :logo:

Other than signing Brunell to that way out of proportion contract for a player that his former team believed was finished, not much has been done wrong in my opinion. And Snyder was probably the one to give Brunell that contract since its his money.

Ramsey would likely have the Redskins at better than 8-6 now I think. Gibbs is known not to trust inexperienced QB's though so it should be expected. By the time this team wins the division they will be ready to go all the way like most of Gibbs old teams did.

Bailey can not deserve that kind of comparison.don't get me wrong,i was a huge Bailey fan from day one but it wasn't meant to be.and i simply refer to him as Darrell.to me,Green is just too damn formal for somebody we will forever love sooooo much.but maybe ya had to see his breaking out play when it happened(dorsett,hah!) and be able to appreciate it and everything that ever followed to have those kinda feelings.i will always say it because there will never be another,Darrell was the greatest cover corner to ever play the game and he proved it every single week against the best the competition had to offer.nfl.com and thier 75th anniversary and all time great teams are a joke.woodson over Darrell?gimme a break.

Joe Gibbs IS the Washington Redskins. I mean its been how long since we have swept the Boys? 95? And in Joe's second season back he sweeps Parcells who was his biggest competition back in the day when he was coaching the G-men. All the Joe Gibbs doubters who said maybe the game had passed him by, free agency now is not something hes used to, power football doesn't get it done anymore, blah blah blah........he is just doing what Joe Gibbs does. Proving the nay sayers wrong, shutting up the critics, and bringing hope and joy back to us Washington Redskins fans who have been missing it for so long. It is gonna be awesome tomorrow. 92,000+ rocking Fedex on Christmas Eve, and we have something to play for? Forget about it, it doesn't get any better. GO SKINS, i'll see you all there in my drunken "burgundy and gold" stupor. Peace.

Nobody has ever questioned Gibbs ability with personel(think how important that is to Nascar teams), and what he has done so far with personel moves. That would be simply foolish. What we question is his playcalling, that right now seems to be the difference between playoff contendor and superbowl contender. His best hire is by far Gregg Williams. Think of the straights this team would be in without him. Im hoping for one day soon to see that offense get going.

Archived