Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Freemasonry

chomerics

Because 200 years ago Masons were the revolutionaries and needed secrecy to ensure their success.

Most of it is allegorical in nature, life lessons told as stories from a mythical pretext.

As for being visible, Im sure everyone here has heard of Shriners Hospitals or Scottish Right Medical centers. Both are Masonic Charities. But Masons dont feel the need to advertise their deeds.

Exactly.

The secrets are something that I actually find sort of interesting. I was really disappointed when I was initiated into Phi Delta Theta and there was so little different about actually being a brother in terms of secrecy etc.

We had a Phi Delt up where I went to school too. I was friends with a bunch of them. Good guys.

Where did you goto school?

My dad was a grand master before he passed away.

It is a very private organization so I can't tell you about it.......but I can tell you my dad was a wonderful Christian man whose word was worth everything in his life. Those are the beliefs of the organization I believe.

Blondie

My best friends dad was Worshipful Master, before he passed away as well. That is a wonderful description Blondie. I was looking for the right words, to describe a Mason, and looked no further after your reply. Thank you...

First off, the people in cars are most likely Shriners. They were wearing "funny hats" right? Secondly, that's an oddity where obviously segregation must still be used. There is no such thing as a "white" or "black" chapter. A brother is a brother is a brother. The practices of racism, and segregation is not accepted. Those people are having problems letting go of the past when it was socially acceptable. Those were also the days when these conversations wouldn't have even existed, because Masons were not all that public. They wore the symbol, but people didn't really know much about it, or speak about it.

Kilmer17 pwned you with his "Clandestine Lodges" response. Maybe you are just noob and they don't want to share their secrets with you.

Shriners = Masons, correct?

We had a Phi Delt up where I went to school too. I was friends with a bunch of them. Good guys.

Where did you goto school?

Colgate. Central NY, baby! :)

I have a couple friends that are members of the Masons in NYC. I can't say that I haven't been tempted to join--if only as a convenient way to engage in some charity work.

All Shriners are Masons, but all Masons are not Shriners.

I am also a Shriner. It's the "Social" club within the fraternity. You must advance a certain amount within Masonry to qualify. Our local Shrine has a ballroom, a bar, and a restaurant. Outside of the initiation, there is almost ZERO secrecy and imagery associated with the shrine.

Shriners do not = masons

They Sho'nuff are!

All Shirners are Masons, but all Masons are not Shriners. After becoming a

Mason, a man choose to join one or several related organizations -- Scottish

Rite, York Rite, Shrine, etc. Masons are not required to join any of the

related organizations, but the opportunites are there if they so choose to.

Kilmer17 pwned you with his "Clandestine Lodges" response. Maybe you are just noob and they don't want to share their secrets with you.

Shriners = Masons, correct?

:doh: If you say so.

My entire family is in the Masons, and have been fairly high up, so if I'm not saying certain things...maybe there's a reason... :doh:

if you really want me to start getting into it, I will, but I choose to keep certain things to myself.

If you look hard enough, most of the "blue lodge" secrets are there for anyone to see. They have been brought to the public in mainstream movies and on TV shows, usually as a joke, but are actually true. So before you call someone a "noob" just because they keep their mouth shut about things they know they aren't supposed to talk about, think about it.

Colgate. Central NY, baby! :)

I have a couple friends that are members of the Masons in NYC. I can't say that I haven't been tempted to join--if only as a convenient way to engage in some charity work.

I went to Union. I think my fraternity has a chapter at colgate. I'm not sure tho. I'm a Phi Sigma Kappa.

Is anyone here a Mason? Does anyone know more about the group?

My name was given as a possible canidate to a Masonic Lodge, and I am contemplating asking to join. From everything I have read, the orginization's values and beliefs are right in line with mine and they seem like a very civic orientated group who is active in charity.

I was wondering if any members of ES are masons, and if they are, what are their thoughts on the group.

My old man is a mason also. He's super Republican. I hope you get to meet him :silly:

:doh: If you say so.

My entire family is in the Masons, and have been fairly high up, so if I'm not saying certain things...maybe there's a reason... :doh:

if you really want me to start getting into it, I will, but I choose to keep certain things to myself.

If you look hard enough, most of the "blue lodge" secrets are there for anyone to see. They have been brought to the public in mainstream movies and on TV shows, usually as a joke, but are actually true. So before you call someone a "noob" just because they keep their mouth shut about things they know they aren't supposed to talk about, think about it.

So you were lying earlier about the segregation because you aren't supposed to talk about it? Either that or you are saying Kilmer is wrong. Either that or you are a noob. It's got to be 1 of the 3.

I'm suprised that so far I have been told 2 things that have been said by others to be incorrect. Either some people don't know what is really going on, or they are trying to be secret and deceive us.

The Master of my lodge is black. There is no segregation in Lodge. If his lodge has it, then that's a local rule, not an internatioal rule. There are some people who do not know you are right. There are several levels within the lodge. As for secrets, yes there are some things I don't know, but that's because of the level I'm at. I am however a 3rd degree Master Mason, so I know more then you do.

And what exactly did he say that was so different from what I said? unless I missed it, he didn't say there was segregation. The people that said that there was I also said it must be a local thing. That practice is not supported by the governing body. So get your facts straight. I don't think I have stated anything different from him, he just provided you with more info then i did....

if they dont beleive in Jesus Christ leave it alone.According to the bible it can be classified as "witchcraft" or "soothsayers" according to hebrew translations.

There is a difference between NOT believing and NOT FORCING YOU TO believe.

Plenty (Id say most) Masons believe in Christ.

if they dont beleive in Jesus Christ leave it alone.According to the bible it can be classified as "witchcraft" or "soothsayers" according to hebrew translations.

Who said they don't. It is non-denominational. Some are Christians some are not. The only religion group that has rejected Masons are the Catholics.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Here is the homepage of the lodge I am interested in joining.

http://www.harvardlodge.com/

It is the first and only university affiliated Masonic Lodge in the country. In order to join, you have to either graduate from Harvard, or work there (my company, the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory is part of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, so I am allowed to join). My name was given to an officer in the lodge as a person who might want to join by a fellow member a few months ago. The officer contacted me, and let me know what the Lodge was about, and what they were planning on doing in the future. He also said that I have to ask to join, and if accepted, I would be part of a class this spring. Not all applicants make it, and there is a vetting process and a vote on who out of the applicants they think will fit. This is what I have basically found out through talking with the officer.

The Harvard Lodge is very active in charity locally and they are getting the plans together for a great plan. They are hoping to innoculate every child in Belize. They chose Belize for two reasons, first, it is a English speaking country, and second, it has a small enough population so a small group of dedicated men can acomplish what seems like a monumental task.

As for the religous aspect, you do not have to believe in god, and it is not christian as some have said, but from my discussions with the member of the lodge, you have to believe in something. They celebrate religous diversity from what I understand, and it is something I strongly believe in.

Again, I appreciate all of the responses, and it is something I think I can really put some time and effort into. I think the value system and what they hold in high regard is right along what I think the world should be like.

Good thing I don't believe in the bible then huh. From what I understand, there are all religous denominations, and that is something I like. They don't all believe in the bible, which is a good thing, as it was how our country was founded, and exactly what our founding fathers believed in.

Interesting thread

My grandfather was a Mason back in British India. We still have a picture of his whole lodge in my house

I have always thought of knocking at the door of the temple in Alexandria, showing them the picture and asking if I can join

That's PRECICELY how to become a Mason.

2B1ASK1.

Archived