Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL's all-snubbed team

kiddhan625

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoF6Nte3DglaPabAlC2D3i5DubYF?slug=cr-notebook122105&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Mark Brunell, QB, Washington Redskins

Putting Jake Delhomme ahead of Brunell was definitely a snub. Like Delhomme, Brunell has had really only one good receiver to work with, but he has still managed to throw for 20 touchdowns against eight interceptions in 13 starts (five of the picks came in two bad games). But people still look at Brunell and think of last season's below-average, injury-riddled player, rather than the one who has thrown for 15 touchdowns against Dallas (twice), Denver, Seattle, Kansas City and Tampa Bay. Oh, and lest we forget, he's been good enough to keep his team in a playoff spot, unlike another guy who got a Pro Bowl nod … Michael Vick.

Brunnell has had a decent year but it is a far cry from a Pro Bowl year. The NFC should have only one quarteback and that is hassleback from Seatlle. THE NFC quarterbacks have been terrible compared to the AFC. But to think Brunnell numbers merit a pro bowl, give me a break!!! Yes his season has been coragious and has had a couple flashes but Pro Bowl! no way.

I'm just going to come out and say it. Michael Vick is simply not even a GOOD passer. He's a threat out of the backfield and nothing else. 13 TDs, 12 INTs? Please. If you combine his passing and rushing stats, he's about even with Brunell's passing yardage. Not to mention the fact that Mark has 20 TDs against only 8 INTs. In a down year for NFC quarterbacks, I really think Brunell should have gone.

Cooley has had a better season than Mack Strong too. (Cooley was listed as a FB on the PB ballot.) I understand that Strong does a lot of things, including leading Alexander, but 201 combined yards and 0 TDs doesn't compare to 725 yds and 6 TDs.

I also think Jansen has had a better year than Samuels, especially playing w/two broken thumbs. But Samuels is one of our guys, and I'm happy for him.

Additionally, I think Marcus Washington deserved to go back. And I would've liked to see Sellers get the nod, at least as a special teamer.

Finally, Roy Williams? :laugh:

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest. Period.

The pro bowl is a joke, it is a popularity contest with the fans

The NFL controls who goes to the ProBowl, not the fans. 90% of voters only go by who they know the best(who the NFL shows the most), so thats why guys like Vick and Roy Williams made it into the ProBowl over guys like Brunell and ST. It's okay though. Their time will come this Saturday to show the rest of the NFL world that they could care less about the ProBowl and more about making the playoffs.

Of course the probowl is a polularity contest. In its defense it is a little less so than the other major sports all star games. I ask you this, since it's a meaningless game that happens after the season is over...who cares? I don't see anything wrong with a popularity contest. I will also predict if we finish out strong and have a resonably good season next year you will see alot of our players become more popular and we will get more in the probowl. What the NFL should do is have the probowl purely based on fan selections and have another set of awards that are based purely on peer and media opinion.

Brunnell has had a decent year but it is a far cry from a Pro Bowl year. The NFC should have only one quarteback and that is hassleback from Seatlle. THE NFC quarterbacks have been terrible compared to the AFC. But to think Brunnell numbers merit a pro bowl, give me a break!!! Yes his season has been coragious and has had a couple flashes but Pro Bowl! no way.

You should be smacked with some sense!!!!!!!!!! The top three QBs in the NFC should be there, period. M. Vick and Delhomme aren't even top 10 QBs!!! Brunell is the 2nd best QB in the NFC and he got punked because he doesnt throw an equal # of TDs to ints????? His team is in the heart of the playoffs race, mostly due to his improvement, where's the Superman's team going? HOME that where. Brunell got the shaft and its BS!

they pick the players that will put the most butts in the seats and tune in the most tv's. It has nothing to do with who's really the best.:2cents:

I agree. It's all about the money, how else can Vick make the Pro Bowl? His numbers aren't Pro Bowl caliber. How Chris Cooley didn't make it I don't know, but it is pretty much a popularity contest or who is most marketable. :gaintsuck

If Hassleback was the only one to go, I'd agree but Brunell IS the second best performer in the NFC and the Pro Bowl (besides being a popularity contest) is about HOW YOU DID DURING THE CURRENT YEAR RELATIVE TO YOUR COMPETITON. Being the second best in the NFC isn't saying much but the NFC sent TWO others. You might be able to make a case that Delholme maybe should have gone but Vick?

I did a search for this but did not find it and found it quite interesting..

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-notebook122105&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

NFL's all-snubbed team

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports

December 21, 2005

Contract. Super Bowl. Star power. Stats.

When it comes to the Pro Bowl, they all mean something. And every year someone gets the blame for voting irregularities. Either it's too many tackles or guards who play on the same side of the line, too many good-but-not-great players from dominant teams or too many stars that are having down years but still coast to Hawaii based on reputation. And now that the vote is a split between coaches, players and fans – with each representing one-third of the final say – it's hard to know who's guilty of filing the uninformed ballot.

Look no further than Dallas Cowboys guard Larry Allen and New York Jets cornerback Ty Law. Both have been above-average players in 2005, but a far cry from their previous Pro Bowl form. Still, they somehow are headed to Honolulu.

This is no different than past seasons. There are always a handful of players slighted every year, either because there aren't enough roster spots or someone was simply robbed.

Among those leftovers who should be going to Hawaii in February:

Reggie Wayne, WR, Indianapolis Colts

It's an absolute injustice that he got knocked off in the last few weeks by Miami's Chris Chambers. Apparently three huge weeks by Chambers means more than Wayne's season-long consistency. At times this year, Wayne has carried the Colts' receiving load when Marvin Harrison couldn't. His 12.8-yards-per-catch average and five touchdowns aren't dazzling, but that's been a function of the running game. Most impressive, Wayne has caught at least five balls in nine of 14 games this year.

Jake Plummer, QB, Denver Broncos

Just on sheer production, there is no way you can argue that he should have taken the place of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer. But for those who believe efficiency and smart play should count for something, then Plummer was a victim of big numbers. But he's been mistake-free almost all season, with really only two sub-par games. His 18 touchdowns through 14 games aren't staggering, but Plummer's play has made the Broncos what they are.

London Fletcher, MLB, Buffalo Bills

It's amazing Fletcher hasn't been given a Pro Bowl nod at some point. He's tough and does nothing but rack up tackles and make plays at the line of scrimmage. The knock has always been that he doesn't make enough big plays in the passing game. That might be true, but his nose for the ball – and his stats in 14 games in 2005 (140 tackles, four sacks, an interception and two passes defended) – should make him more respected than he is.

Robert Mathis, DE, Indianapolis Colts

Like Plummer's situation, there isn't a legitimate argument that Mathis should have beaten out the NFL's leader in sacks (Derrick Burgess), or two guys who face either double-teaming or scheming to stop them every game (Jason Taylor and Dwight Freeney). People will point to Mathis and say he's only a situational pass rusher and a liability against the run, but you can't argue with what he's been able to do on the other side of Freeney. He has notched at least a half sack in 11 of his 13 games – 11½ in all. Some people might say Tennessee Titans defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch was the guy who got snubbed, but only one of his 12½ sacks have come against a winning team.

Anquan Boldin, WR, Arizona Cardinals

Considering he's missed two games, he's actually been just as productive – if not more productive – than Pro Bowl teammate Larry Ftizgerald. Boldin has averaged over 103 receiving yards per game and caught six touchdowns to go along with his 14.6 yards per catch. He also had big days against some very good defenses – 10 catches for 162 yards against Carolina, and 10 catches for 115 yards against Jacksonville.

Mark Brunell, QB, Washington Redskins

Putting Jake Delhomme ahead of Brunell was definitely a snub. Like Delhomme, Brunell has had really only one good receiver to work with, but he has still managed to throw for 20 touchdowns against eight interceptions in 13 starts (five of the picks came in two bad games). But people still look at Brunell and think of last season's below-average, injury-riddled player, rather than the one who has thrown for 15 touchdowns against Dallas (twice), Denver, Seattle, Kansas City and Tampa Bay. Oh, and lest we forget, he's been good enough to keep his team in a playoff spot, unlike another guy who got a Pro Bowl nod … Michael Vick.

Joey Galloway, WR, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

He's been one of the most feared deep receivers in the league, even after Chris Simms stepped in at quarterback for the Bucs. Plus, Michael Clayton's slump has led to Galloway being the center of attention in the secondary. This is the first year Galloway has been truly healthy, and he has shown that by recalling the speed that has killed corner/safety combinations. He has big games against top-notch defenses, too – Chicago and Washington in November.

Adewale Ogunleye, DE, Chicago Bears

It's a head-scratcher that Chicago defensive tackle Tommie Harris got a Pro Bowl call and Ogunleye didn't. Or that Julius Peppers has underachieved this year and got a trip to Hawaii. Ogunleye had a slow start, but he has eight sacks in his last nine games, and his disruption has been a big plus for counterpart Alex Brown, who had back-to-back, two-sack games in November. What's more, Ogunleye has been huge in pivotal games down the stretch, notching six sacks in eye-opening wins over Tampa Bay, Carolina and Atlanta.

You should be smacked with some sense!!!!!!!!!! The top three QBs in the NFC should be there, period. M. Vick and Delhomme aren't even top 10 QBs!!! Brunell is the 2nd best QB in the NFC and he got punked because he doesnt throw an equal # of TDs to ints????? His team is in the heart of the playoffs race, mostly due to his improvement, where's the Superman's team going? HOME that where. Brunell got the shaft and its BS!

You are kidding right, Did you forget to add in the fumbles Brunnell as had as they are just as bad if not worse than interceptions. How many games did he not even pass for 150 yeards and how many did he not pass for 175 yards. Maybe Chicagos quarterback should be in there if we go by Playoff hunt? Eli has a better record than Brunnell for wins and yards. How many times have we cried in the pass few years about players being subbed because we were not a playoff team and they took players becasue they were on a contender. You cannot have it both ways. Brunnell is 3rd in QB rating. Eli has lead more 4th Quater comebacks and has a higher QB rating than anyone in the NFC. I agree Vick is there just because of his run threat! I am not saying Brunnell has had a bad year but a Pro Bowl year the only reason he is considered is because all the good quarterbacks are in the AFC and I am a NFC fan and a lifelong Redskins fan!

Eli Manning NYG 3314 492 259 22 16 61 75.4

2 Brett Favre GB 3305 519 321 19 24 53 73.1

3 Matt Hasselbeck SEA 3215 420 271 22 9 56 96.3

4 Drew Bledsoe DAL 3188 437 267 21 14 71 86.1

5 Jake Delhomme CAR 2998 384 234 20 15 80 86.5

6 Aaron Brooks NO 2882 431 240 13 17 66 70.0

7 Mark Brunell WAS 2797 418 246 20 8 78 87.0

8 Kurt Warner ARI 2713 375 242 11 9 63 85.8

9 Donovan McNabb PHI 2507 357 211 16 9 91 85.0

10 Marc Bulger STL 2297 287 192 14 9 57 94.4

11 Michael Vick ATL 2136 337 183 13 12 58 71.8

12 Kyle Orton CHI 1810 354 184 9 13 54 59.9

13 Chris Simms TB 1607 246 150 6 5 78 79.8

14 Joey Harrington DET 1599 267 154 9 11 86 69.2

15 Daunte Culpepper MIN 1564 216 139 6 12 68 72.0

16 Brad Johnson MIN 1390 218 132 8 4 80 83

Warlier this season I thought Brunnell was a lock for the comeback player of the year award and had a solid chance at the pro bowl. Then Tedy Bruschi only misses half a season after having a stroke so the comeback player of the year award is out the window. However the pro bowl seemed a lock after watching how the rest of the NFC QBs were preforming. I mean I will grant you that in a normal year Brunnell's numbers would not make for a good argument. But this year with McNabb banged up and Favre having no supporting cast the only true pro bowl caliber numbers in the NFC belong to Matt Hasselback. So the other two slot should go to the guys putting up the best numbers and to me that pool includes Bulger, Brunnel, Manning, and Delhomme. Since Bulger's on IR and missed half the year you can cross him off. So your 2,3 and alternate should be Brunnel,Delhomme, and Manning. So how do you rank those 3 guys lets look at the numbers:

Passing yards Completion %

No.1 Hassleback No.1 Bulger

No.2 Bulger No.2 Hassleback

No.3 Brunell No.8 Delhomme

No.4 Delhomme No. 11 Brunell

No.10 Manning No.15 Manning

Passing TDS Interception Totals

No.1 Hassleback Brunell 8

No.2 Manning Delhomme 15

No.4 Brunell Manning 16

No.5 Delhomme Hassleback 9

And Passer Rating

No.1 Hassleback

No.2 Bulger

No.3 Brunell

No.4 Delhomme

No.10 Manning

So let see Brunell ranks higher than Manning in every category but TDs (theres a 2 TD difference there)

and higher than Delhomme in every category except completion %

Notice I didn't include Vick in these stats because I think everyone already knows that his stats are not on the same level with the guys I mentioned.

I know I am biased but when numbers are black and white Brunell and Delhomme should be 2 and 3 with Manning being the first alternate and if Kurt Warner wasn't injured we could probably bring him into the discussion.

I think it's a shame that with certain positons it only matters if you're a marketable name not how well you preform. Vick has not had a very good year. His teamwent into this year a lock to be a top 3 NFC team and with the fall of the Eagles they should have been battling the Seahawks for the top spot. Instead they are 9th in the NFC and currently oout of the playoffs.

I think many positions the public opinion doesn't sway the decision to much (ie Mack Strong making it over Cooley) But with the Quarterback position you have to have a visable name.

Hassleback was a lock, and one spot was reserved for the big name (McNabb, Favre, Vick) McNabb's on IR, Favre has been horrible so that only left Vick. Despite his subpar number he sells jerseys so he's in. Then you had Brunell, Delhomme, Manning and one spot left. Manning's numbers not good enough so we make him the alternate and between Brunell and Delhomme Jake gets the nod because he's been in a Super Bowl recently so people know who he is.

It's a shame I think Brunell really deserved it but all this really isn't imoortant. What's really important is that Brunell out duel Eli on Saturday and take care of buisness next week against Philly.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck :point2sky :point2sky Sorry about the long post My rant is over:D

To be honest I voted for Vick. The Pro-Bowl isn't necessarily all about stats, it is more about who people want to see.

Yeah, it would be nice and such a great story to see Brunell make the Pro-Bowl, but you know what? He doesn't excite me at all. he is very normal, very average, borederline boring as a QB.

Yeah Vick's passing numbers aren't that great, but he is extremely exciting...I watch Atlanta games purely for the Vick factor. Watching him throw the ball with a flick of his wrist, watching him avoid pressure, and watching him run is all very exciting and fun to watch.

Brunell has had a very good, solid year for us and it has been a great story. Numbers aren't everything...I could think of a couple other players on the team that were bigger snubs than Brunell

Archived