Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cooley, Taylor, Washington Pro Bowl Robbed

RDSKNFN_48

They just announced Santana Moss and Chris Samuels as making the Pro Bowl... Chris Cooley and Clinton Portis are First Alertnates...with Sean Taylor being second alternate. If this isn't a clear indication that the Redskins get ZERO respect I don't know what is.

Fellow True Believers Your Reaction????

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=13826

Wide receiver Santana Moss and left tackle Chris Samuels have earned trips to the 2006 Pro Bowl, the Redskins announced on Wednesday. For Moss, it is his first Pro Bowl nod; for Samuels, it is his third.

Tune in to Redskins.com later this afternoon for reaction and more from Redskins Park.

In addition, running back Clinton Portis and H-back Chris Cooley are first alternates and safety Sean Taylor and linebacker Marcus Washington are second alternates. In the case of injuries to Pro Bowl starters or reserves at their positions, these players still could earn a trip to Hawaii.

Santana Moss

Rather surprising is the omission of any Redskins' defensive player--particularly Washington, cornerback Shawn Springs and Taylor--from the Pro Bowl squad. The Redskins have the NFL's eighth-ranked defense.

Moss, a fifth-year player who arrived in Washington last offseason in a trade, has emerged as one of the NFL's top-flight receivers this season. His speed makes him a legitimate deep ball threat and gives him the ability to turn short passes into long gains.

To this point, Moss's two fourth-quarter touchdowns to help beat the Dallas Cowboys 14-13 in Week 2 were his signature moments of the 2005 season. He also had a 30-yard catch in overtime to help beat Seattle and a memorable 78-yard touchdown on a wide receiver screen pass in Week 6 against Kansas City.

Chris Samuels

For the season, Moss has 75 catches for 1,240 yards and six touchdowns. His 16.5 yards-per-catch average is second-best among NFC wide receivers with more than 40 catches. His reception total is 10th-best in the league and fifth-best in the NFC and his receiving yards total is third-best in the league and second-best in the NFC.

Samuels, in his sixth NFL season, has started all 14 games so far this season and provided strong blocking in the run game and in pass protection. He has previously made the Pro Bowl in 2001 and 2002.

The 6-5, 310-pounder has helped running back Clinton Portis rush for 1,296 yards and eight touchdowns this season. Overall, the Redskins have rushed for 1,876 yards, seventh-best in the NFL.

On Moss's 78-yard touchdown catch-and-run in Kansas City, it was Samuels who leveled a key block to help spring Moss on the wide receiver screen.

Samuels may have turned in his best performance of the season last Sunday against Dallas. He was among the most excited players during pre-game, encouraging his teammates and firing up fans in the stands.

In the game, Samuels shut down pass rusher DeMarcus Ware, limiting him to just two tackles, and helped open holes for a Redskins ground game that compiled 171 rushing yards.

The NFL's best will meet in Hawaii on Sunday, Feb. 12, for the 2006 Pro Bowl. The game will be broadcast on ESPN at 7:30 p.m.

Cooley is first alternate for what? TE or FB?

If he's listed as a FB I can't think of anyone who could possibly start ahead of him.

Odd how noone on our defense is even so much as a first alternate. #1 in the NFC last year, #4 this year ... you'd think we'd get SOME respect. Oh well.

This is BS. If Taylor and Washington are the second alternates, not the first alternates then that means that they are seen as the fourth or fifth best at their positions. This is absolutely retarded.

I am guessing Sharper, Williams and Dawkins got votes over Taylor. I am also guessing that.... Well I don't know who the FFFF they think is better than Washington at outside backer. He has two more sacks this year than last year, he is on pace for nearly the same number of tackles. This is lunacy. The pro bowl is a disaster.

Cooley is first alternate for what? TE or FB?

If he's listed as a FB I can't think of anyone who could possibly start ahead of him.

Odd how noone on our defense is even so much as a first alternate. After two years in the top seven you'd think we'd get SOME respect. Oh well.

the problem is cooley was listed as a FB, and not a TE. alstott is a fan favorite - even though he's sucked for years. either way though - his numbers should blow any FB out of the water.

and don't even get me started on the defensive side of the field ...

If Favre makes it then we know how meaningless this all really is. Allstott over Cooley is just stupid. Furthermore, how do you have a top 10 Defense with NO pro bowlers on it? MW and ST should be on there. This is all probably good though. Motivation is a good thing and I think the D will really take this personally. The Giants offense will be walking into a buzzsaw with their "pro bowl" QB Eli. What a joke.

Total Lunacy when you think that throughout the years the Redskins get total disrespect. From Art Monk and Russ Grimm not getting voted in (Jacoby doesn't even get a vote) to every year we get bashed in the media to this! Absolutely it is Bull***t. Darrell Green will probably have to do a Michael Irvin and pay someone to vote him in. The Pro Bowl is probably the worst of the All-Star Games (with MLB and the NBA being tied for first and NHL a DISTANT SECOND) No wonder no one watches. Total CRAP.

I know Randy Thomas is injured, but damn!!! I thought Jansen did a better job than Samuels especially down the stretch. Springs will always get robbed so we should expect that. Sean Taylor ripped as well. In my opinion he clinched it with the game he had in Arizona. Come on, a pick, forced fumble and a game winning tackle. There's not many safeties that cover like ST, and hit like this man. I didn't think Marcus Washington was going to make it, he had a better season last year in my opinion. But he sure did have a lot of sacks this year for a LB. But the dude that got ripped the most was Chris Cooley!!!!! There isn't a tight end nor fullback this year in the NFC playing as well as Cooley, other than Shockey, and maybe Crumpler. And there's damn well no FB better than Cooley. But like I've been saying the league doesn't respect or like the Redskins.

Archived