Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Pats are the team to beat in the AFC

prophet

definetly agreed upon. I watched that Pats game on saturday they were amazing on both sides of the ball. Ive never seen a quarterback so cool and collected in the pocket Brady can put balls on the money. I just really think the Pats are getting hot at the right time. They are getting healthier, and yet there D isnt as good persay in past years they are good enough to take them deep in the playoffs. Right now the Pats are playing good ball on offense. I like the colts go far, but until those pats are out they are the team to beat bottom line.

No they aren't. Don't listen to everything ESPN shoves down your throat. 1 week does not take away the 13 previous.

I agree with this post.

The Pats were suspect all year and had problems. One good (home) game and suddenly their world-beaters again? I just don't get it. They play in a weak, weak, weak division where two teams have double-digits in the loss column after 14 games and the a another constantly flops around (no pun intended).

I agree with this post.

The Pats were suspect all year and had problems. One good (home) game and suddenly their world-beaters again? I just don't get it. They play in a weak, weak, weak division where two teams have double-digits in the loss column after 14 games and the a another constantly flops around (no pun intended).

With Brady, the Patriots will always be tough to beat. There is no taking that away... the guy is perhaps the most clutch gamer in the history of the sport.

That being said, although their defense has improved, that secondary is still very suspect. I think that they will have problems going against the likes of Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer.

That being said... technically, they are still the world champions until they are out of the playoffs. For that alone they do deserve the title 'team to beat'... but maybe not the best team. :)

u guys dont know but they still have belicheck, seymore and their front 7 is back to form.. they still have their safety in eugene wilson and cb astante samuel.. Dillion was injuired for the first 10 weeks or so. Teams just blow out teams in consective weeks. 30 total rushing yards in the last 3 weeks against martin, mcgaheee, and cadillac. That aint bad... The offense is clickin on all cyclinders right now. i would not want to play new england with tom brady as qb

That is preposterous. It's not like the Colts snuck by the Pats earlier this year...they absolutely creamed them. The Colts are CLEARLY the best team in the NFL. Number two in that conference is the Bengals, and the Broncos are number 3. I'd put the Patriots in between the Chargers (who won't make the playoffs) and the Steelers at #5.

BTW, thanks for giving me an excuse to use the word "preposterous". I love that word...so rarely do i get to use it...

The Patriots will not make it deep in the playoffs due to a lack of healthy players on D. The team to beat in the AFC playoffs IMO is Cincinatti. Many others would argue but I really think that lately the Bengals have been playing at a higher level than the 2 other candidates, the Broncos and Colts. Though the Bengals have obviously lost to these teams I feel that at this point they can take out anyone who crosses their path IDK why Rudi Johnson just looks good, they have balance now, and Deltha O'Neal has been WAY WAY WAY underrated for YEARS now.

That is preposterous. It's not like the Colts snuck by the Pats earlier this year...they absolutely creamed them. The Colts are CLEARLY the best team in the NFL. Number two in that conference is the Bengals, and the Broncos are number 3. I'd put the Patriots in between the Chargers (who won't make the playoffs) and the Steelers at #5.

BTW, thanks for giving me an excuse to use the word "preposterous". I love that word...so rarely do i get to use it...

I don't believe Seymour played in the first matchup, and he's a big part of that D. The key as always is to get pressure on Manning, and the Pats line has really been playing well lately. Overall I don't think their D is as good as it has been in their Superbowl years, but it's definitely playing better than it was earlier in the year.

I think Indy wins a potential rematch, as the game will be in Indy. But I would expect the Pats to put a scare into them, and make it a much closer contest than the first game.

Are the Pats as good now as they were during the last 4 seasons in which they took 3 SB titles? Close, but not completely. Sure, they were injury ridden all season until this point, and they are playing as a playoff team should now...but unless you're saying they're the "team to beat in the AFC" only because they are technically the reigning champions of the NFL, then you are very wrong.

They may be playing great, but they are certainly not playing better football than the Colts(argue the Chargers game all you want and you will get nowhere).

So yea, until they are de-throwned, they are TECHINCALLY the team to beat. As far as actual talent and ability right now, they are not.

There's really no question that the Colts are considered the favorites in every meaningful game they play for the rest of the season, as they've got home field throughout in that dome, and the super bowl is in a dome.

That being said, I really feel like the ONLY team with a legitimate chance to keep them out of the Super Bowl is the Patriots.

The other contenders:

1) Broncos have been blown out by the Colts in the playoffs two straight years

2) The Bengals have beaten one quality team all year (the Steelers- keep in mind that they beat the Bears in Kyle Orton's 3rd NFL game), and have lost to all the others (Steelers, Colts, Jags).

3) Jags- Please...

4) Chargers- not in the playoffs

The Colts feel invincible against any team other than the Pats. No matter what happened in NE earlier this year, Peyton still has the monkey on his back of being unable to beat the Pats in the playoffs, and we know he doesn't deal well with pressure.

And above all else, you can never take away the fact that every time the Pats step on the field, they've got the best player on the field (Brady) and a coach that could arguably be the greatest coach in NFL history (Belichick).

That is preposterous. It's not like the Colts snuck by the Pats earlier this year...they absolutely creamed them.

I suppose then you'll take a pass on watching the 'Skins play the Giants this week....after all they were CREAMED last time. CREAMED. Doesn't matter at all that was weeks ago and teams might be playing....you know....differently now. DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL, I TELL YOU.

Every year, it's the same old chorus. By all means, keep it up.

Don't sleep on the Pats. I've been thinking now for several weeks that they could knock off the Colts. The Pats still have the best QB in the league, and the best game planner in the league in Bellichick. Also, they've got some key players coming back on defense and are getting healthy. Seymour is as important to their defense as Griffin is to the Skins' defense, and he was out for that first game against the Colts.

I'm not going to be sold on Manning until he wins some big games. So far, he's been a choker in the post season.

i dont know how everyone can talk trash about the pats like how this thread started out...they won 3 of the last 4 superbowls, that is absolutely ludacris in this era in the NFL...they have an amazing coach, a quarterback that is calm, cool, and collected no matter what, a kicker that defines clutch, a defense that is awefully tough as of late, a running back that is capable of running (npi) a game, and have put fear in every team that might have to play them in the AFC playoffs. this is a team that took a good tampa bay team and absolutely polished them off. the colts (hey i was rooting for them to go undefeated and i really enjoy watching them play) are the Eagles of the AFC, they get close every year but can't get over that hump

Archived