Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Thompson might start at WR Saturday

Confirming the broad sentiment here, Spurrier said both Thompson and Doering have "helped themselves" with their preseason game performances, and that "possibly Derrius Thompson could start the game this week, along with Rod Gardner."

Reporter Mark Maske asserts that the top five receivers are (in no order) Gardner, Thompson, Doering, Green and Lockett. He writes, "If the Redskins opt to keep a sixth wideout, it probably would come from among Darnerien McCants, Reidel Anthony and Justin Skaggs." (That may be true, but I don't understand how McCants isn't perceived on a much higher tier than Skaggs. Also, though Anthony has the Florida history and one good Carolina game, McCants has apparently been very strong throughout camp and has had two strong preseason games.)

Other notable: Spurrier expects primarily Wuerffel and Matthews to play this week (over Sage and Ramsey).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37687-2002Aug19.html

Catching Spurrier's Attention

Thompson, Doering Lead Team's Receivers

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 20, 2002; Page D01

Wide receiver Derrius Thompson's eight-catch, two-touchdown performance for the Washington Redskins in Sunday night's come-from-behind exhibition victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers could earn him a promotion to the starting lineup. Coach Steve Spurrier said yesterday that he will consider starting Thompson at the wide receiver spot opposite Rod Gardner in Saturday's exhibition game at Tampa Bay.

Thompson and wideout Chris Doering, who had seven receptions in the 35-34 victory over the Steelers at FedEx Field, seem close to winning spots on the roster, as the team's wide receiver situation becomes more settled by the week.

Quarterbacks Danny Wuerffel and Shane Matthews will split most of the work against the Buccaneers, Spurrier said. Wuerffel still appears to be the front-runner for the starting job in the regular season, with Matthews running a close second. But Sage Rosenfels helped himself with three fourth-quarter touchdown passes Sunday after he struggled earlier in the game. First-round draft choice Patrick Ramsey is assured of a roster spot, but Rosenfels's progress is forcing the Redskins to consider keeping four quarterbacks.

"Whether we can realistically keep all four or not is something we'll still have to see," Spurrier said yesterday at Redskins Park. "I don't know."

Rosenfels might be increasing his value so that the Redskins perhaps could trade him to acquire the offensive lineman they need, rather than releasing him before the season. Redskins officials continued to sort through the possibilities yesterday for adding a veteran guard.

The Redskins have amassed 110 points and 1,203 passing yards while winning their three exhibition games, but they did all their scoring Sunday against Pittsburgh's reserves after trailing 17-0 at halftime, 24-0 in the third quarter and 34-14 entering the final period.

Thompson and Doering played major roles in Sunday's comeback, and now are tied for the team lead during the preseason with 16 catches apiece. They appear headed toward joining fellow wide receivers Gardner, Jacquez Green and Kevin Lockett on the 53-man roster. If the Redskins opt to keep a sixth wideout, it probably would come from among Darnerien McCants, Reidel Anthony and Justin Skaggs.

Lockett started Sunday in place of Green, who suffered bruised ribs in the second preseason win at Carolina, but Thompson could get the nod this week. Spurrier said yesterday he would discuss that possibility with his son Steve Jr., the Redskins' wide receivers coach.

"I haven't talked to Steve Jr. about it yet, but possibly Derrius Thompson could start the game this week, along with Rod Gardner," the elder Spurrier said. "Derrius Thompson and Chris Doering, they've been probably the most productive receivers we've had, it seems like. They've certainly helped themselves."

Spurrier predicted at the outset of training camp that a star or two would emerge at wide receiver, but Thompson and Doering were long shots. Thompson, 25, is a former Redskins practice-squad member who has three regular season NFL catches. Doering, 29, has been an injury-plagued NFL journeyman since playing for Spurrier at the University of Florida.

"I'm excited to show what I can do," Thompson said. "It's nice to have the opportunity."

Wuerffel failed to solidify his status as the favorite in the quarterback derby by throwing an interception Sunday and failing to move the offense in the first quarter. He completed two of his five throws, but had passes dropped by Lockett and Anthony.

"We just didn't get anything going in the first few drives," Wuerffel said. "We hurt ourselves with penalties and mistakes." Still, Spurrier has penciled in his two former Gators quarterbacks to get the bulk of the work against Tampa Bay. "It'll be Danny and Shane mostly," Spurrier said.

Spurrier declined to discuss whether the quarterbacks' play has established a pecking order, saying: "I don't really want to get into that right now. We'll have to see how it all plays out. I haven't seen all the stats yet, but they're probably bunched together pretty good.'' Matthews threw two interceptions Sunday, including one on his first pass, but had touchdown throws to Thompson and Doering. He had been scheduled to play the fourth quarter but absorbed some jarring hits in the third quarter, and Spurrier went back to Rosenfels.

"I played well at times," Matthews said. "I played poorly at times. I didn't start out on a great note, but I battled back. There are a few throws I'd like to have back. I got hit a bit more than I anticipated, but that's part of it." Rosenfels threw for 190 yards in the fourth quarter. But he had failed to distinguish himself against Pittsburgh's starters in the second quarter, with a fumble and an interception.

"We're all playing pretty well," Rosenfels said. "I wish I'd played better in the second quarter. I'm still a young guy, not only in this offense but also in the league, and I'm learning. We know you can't fall 24 points behind in a regular season game and win very often, but we kept fighting. It all means something."

Said Spurrier: "Sage hasn't played a lot before. He's getting a knack for it. He made some bad checks [changing plays at the line of scrimmage] and some bad plays, but he made a lot of good plays."

I have no problem with Thompson starting in the preseason, and if it helps us win, then by all means start him in the regular season. I just hope we don't overlook J. Green, which a lot have people have done lately since he bruised his ribs. We need a deep threat, not two big possession guys.

I like the fact that S2 continues to say good things about Sage's progress. I for one think he's not someone we should cut, but then again I'm not the ball coach.

I'm thrilled to see a starting trio that included Gardner and Thompson. I suppose the third would be Green, with Doering coming off the bench. I'm excited to see this combination on the field at the same time.

Question: Does Thompson normally play in Gardner's spot on the outside when playing on the second team? IF so, can he adjust and play the opposite wideout? And.. does that move Green, and subsequently Doering to the slot? And finally, what is our trade-off for having such a large group of receivers playing at once? Are we sacrificing some speed for the sake of good hands? Hummmm........

My own opinion is that having larger receivers who run crisp routes and have exceptional hands is great for moving the ball down to the redzone. At that point, the more shifty trio of Green, Anthony, and Lockett could become a factor in finding a soft spot quickly and sitting down for the catch.

Thoughts?

Don't underestimate Derrius Thompson.

Some people here seem to be saying pairing Thompson and Gardner is like starting two possession receivers.

That is not true.

Thompson has legitimate deep speed at 6'3 and 215 and creates the kinds of mismatches that Michael Westbrook was supposed to :)

Gardner is a different kind of receiver than Thompson. They are not identical twins :laugh:

Gardner is more a short and intermediate receiver who can occasionally get down the field for a big play.

While Green hasn't had that much time to play so far, I think Thompson could step up and be a capable #2 or #3 receiver for this team in 2002.

Defensive backs who are for the most part 5'10 to 6'0 are going to have a hard time defensing Thompson, whose major flaw before this season was suspect hands.

He used to get open and then drop the ball. Now he is catching whatever they throw at him :D

Atlanta,

You'd better hope this statement isn't true, "but I don't understand how McCants isn't perceived on a much higher tier than Skaggs." Afterall, if McCants is cut, I might start pressing you to pay that bet up early :).

Doering and Thompson are going to suprise some people this year. Between McCants and Anthony, I say keep McCants because he has much bigger upside. We're deep enough at WR that we can put him low on the depth chart and marinate for another season. In a year or two, we may have, at least, some decent trade bait on our hands.

Reidel Anthony has good deep speed but the Redskins rarely give him the chance to use his athleticism downfield. in fact the way Anthony has been used so far is somewhat confusing to me.

Spurrier made a point of using Anthony in the Carolina game on some isolations, but after that 'test' he disappeared again against the Steelers.

Maybe Spurrier thinks he knows enough about Reidel that he doesn't need to see him perform in the preseason beyond the pro forma appearances.

That could go for Jacquez Green as well who didn't play much in Japan or in Carolina before injuring his ribs.

It is going to be interesting to see who Steve keeps around at WR, whether he goes with the Florida mafia and what is familiar or throws his lot in with Thompson, Gardner and some of the younger players the Skins already have.

To clear up that confusing part for you Bulldog, the later of what you said is true and will be true for more "key" players as the season nears. There will be more OL play to get as much continuity there as possible, and a little more involvement with the overall D, since most are ok, but still need some fine tuning.

Green's ribs are a concern, but the attitude at Redskins Park isn't frantic, so the good sign is he'll be ready come regular season, while I think Anthony will be used like Randle El was in Pittsburgh, long distance and trick plays. I knew from jump what Randle El could do, never doubted for one minute how valuable he is to an offense or ST. He can play D too!

I still think Anthony is that kind of a guy, just not as vocal as say a Deion or Smoot. He's more of a SD type in the vocal department so you hardly notice he's there, off the field. He can be used for trick plays, ST, WR, slot and flanker.

Ok...let me compare the comments made by Matthews and Sage:

"Iplayed well at times," Matthews said. "I played poorly at times. I didn't start out on a great note, but I battled back. There are a few throws I'd like to have back. I got hit a bit more than I anticipated, but that's part of it."

Matthews seems to be making excuses for his play. He mentions being hit "more than I anticipated". He also talks about throws he wishes he could get back. That worries me. Is he going to let those haunt him -- considering he's the starter -- when he walks into a game AFTER mistakes he made in the last one?

"We're all playing pretty well," Rosenfels said. "I wish I'd played better in the second quarter. I'm still a young guy, not only in this offense but also in the league, and I'm learning. We know you can't fall 24 points behind in a regular season game and win very often, but we kept fighting. It all means something."

Rosenfels uses the pronoun "we". This guy's the kind of QB you want on a team. He points out the play of everyone, not just himself. This could, however, be the way of a young, naive QB. Will have to give him time to see if he remains the same well-mannered person he is. He says "It all means something". This is promising, as it shows his intelligence for seeing the ENTIRE picture, NOT just the mistakes throughout the first 3 quarters of Sunday's game.

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of this guy. I hope, and pray, Sage does something spectacular again to prove he's the starter. I'm beating this into the ground and I apologize. So, I'll let that be my last Sage-ism until next game. ;)

Hopefully Ramsey pulls a tony banks and fumbles a weight on his throwing hand or foot which puts him on IR.

IMO D Mac is a keeper and I havent seen any reason to keep Anthony over him.

Skaggs while I like him may need another year on the practive squad.

Gardner, D Thompson, Green,Doering, D Mac and Lockett

I think our recievers will go as follows:

1. Rod Gardner - He will be our over-the-middle guy. He can make those spectacular plays in traffic, over the middle, all the while getting blasted by a FS and then getting up with a smile. He proved last sunday that his hands are way improved since last season, which was his only problem. He never had a problem getting open, despite the criticisms of his speed. The only problems was his hands, which he has shown he has rectified. This could be his breakout season.

2. Jacquez Green - I know a few have taken Green out of this spot. Yet I couldn't justify doing so when he's been injured so far in preseason. I do know that before he was injured, he wasn't getting open and making plays anyway. Yet I feel we can't make a better evaluation of how well he will do until he gets healthy. He doesn't need to be our deep threat though, I think Lockett may be able to fill that role.

3. Derrius Thompson - I may assuming too much here. But the way he's been tearing up secondaries in the second half of games has me thinking he could be pretty productive aganist starters. He has the size, speed, and hands. What could a starting corner do about Derrius taking balls right out of their hands and over their heads? Not much. Look at the Burress/Champ matchup, Burress beat Champ on routes where the size difference gave him an unfair advantage. We could use Thompson in the exact same fashion, it should also help that he's faster than Burress. Who pushes off way too much to get open.

4. Kevin Lockett - I choose to put Lockett over Doering because despite the Steelers game, Lockett looked good aganist the Niners and Panthers. Both games he played with starters and that is more than can be said for Doering. He has good speed, and makes the catches we need in third down situations. On every third down, Lockett should be on the field.

5. Chris Doering - I am very surprised by Doering's play. He is what a possession reciever is all about. In a 4-5 WR set, he could a very dangerous weapon able to move the chains consistently aganist dime corners.

6. Danerian McCants - This last spot should go to the player with the most potential. That player is McCants, who in just his second season has shown more production and potential than Anthony, Skaggs, and anyone else on our roster. Give him another season and I think he can challenge for someone else's job higher up the depth chart.

The only way I see Riedel Anthony staying on this roster is as a returner. And since he hasn't seen much time as a returner of any sort, I doubt it will happen.

Ever since the Osaka game, I've wanted to see Doering, Thompson and McCants as our top trio. I figured they were in that order for immediate productivity, and reverse order for longterm potential. But I didn't expect the team to vault all three over the front-runner starters, Gardner, Green and Lockett.

At this point, I think the opening-day starting trio will be three of the following:

Gardner

Thompson

Doering

Green

Gardner has looked better than I expected, with sure hands and some tough catches in traffic. His route running may be suspect (may be running wrong routes on occasion), but it's difficult to know for sure about that. He's had fewer chances than some other receivers (Doering, Thompson), but has looked excellent every time the ball hit his hands. His signing bonus and longterm contract will earn him a starting job unless three other receivers are better by a wide margin -- and it's difficult to make that argument.

Green has been largely MIA, partly due to injury, and partly due to poor passes thrown his way. It's difficult to evaluate his performance in games, but camp reports had him very productive. He's also the only guy with real speed, so anything close to a tie goes his direction as the slot receiver.

Thompson and Doering appear to deserve starting jobs, but I think Spurrier is loathe to demote either Gardner or Green to make it happen, for reasons stated above. But if Thompson (or less likely, Doering) breaks open for deep passes (flies, posts) in the next two games, Green could lose his lock on the burner role.

McCants is a huge favorite of mine. He probably needs more grooming to realize his potential, but I think his gifts and drive for the end zone may be tops on the team. I will be deeply disappointed with Spurrier if McCants is cut or traded. McCants is an obvious #5, and is pressing for consideration at #4.

Lockett is a guy I was sure would make the team after Osaka, but now I'm unsure about. He's never really ever had huge, game-breaking catches. He looked very sure-handed in Osaka and very slippery after the catch, but these were on short curls and flats. I just don't see a lot of upside to the guy, and if it's reliable short passes we need, I don't see why we can't get that from one of the other five receivers above. I put Lockett #6 -- the last to make the roster.

Anthony is a genuine mystery. He had a great Carolina game (I didn't see it), but has otherwise looked terrible. Camp reports also are down on him. But get a load of his stats from his final year at Florida:

72 catches, 1,293 yards, 18 TDs

Source: http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13010

That productivity easily beats the final years of Green, Gardner and Doering. What happened to that receiver?

Spurrier could conceivably retain Anthony in hopes of bringing him back. Certainly Anthony has had a rough time of it off the field (his agent stole all his money). But the only receiver I could stand Anthony replacing is Lockett, and that's unfair even to Lockett.

Originally posted by chiefhogskin48

I think big guys actually tend to be good deep threats. Gardner showed last year that he could get behind the DBs in the passing game, and it should be even easier this year. That being said, Green should be able to exploit slower CBs better than either Gardner or Thompson.

This is so very true. Without question, if I'm a DB lining-up against J.Green, J.Galloway, or other speed merchants not know for trips across the middle .... then I"m backing up 10 yards from the LOS, and inviting them to run into LaVar country.

But when you go against the physical WR, you have to play tight and keep your position. Thus, big WR's don't have to worry about eating up cushion in order to get deep ... that's why slower, big guys can make for great deep threats.

As for D.Thompson starting ... dont' think for a minute that this is in place of J.Green. I fully expect a Steve Spurrier starting line-up to include 3 WR's. Thompson and Gardner are the ends, and J.Green is the slot.

In my mind, D.Thompson is debuting for K.Locket's time.

Strong comments from Shane Matthews about Thompson, following the Steelers game:

"[Thompson is] as good of a young receiver that I've seen since I've been in the league," Matthews said. "Obviously he's very raw, probably hasn't been in a pass-oriented offense like this. But the longer he's in it, the more comfortable he gets. He's so big and strong and fast — he's just the prototypical wideout they look for in the NFL."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20020820-278612.htm

Originally posted by Cskin

My own opinion is that having larger receivers who run crisp routes and have exceptional hands is great for moving the ball down to the redzone. At that point, the more shifty trio of Green, Anthony, and Lockett could become a factor in finding a soft spot quickly and sitting down for the catch.

Actually, I have to disagree with this. Smaller guys tend to do better in the open field where they have more room to run and find seams. They have less trouble there with being pressed at the LOS with bump and run coverage, which is of course necessarily present in the red zone where the defense is not concerned about being beat on a deep fly route. This is why quite often you see the smaller guys go in motion in the red zone; it's an effort to free them up from the DB's covering them and to get them separation.

In the red zone, then, you'd like to have bigger WR's who can out muscle and out jump the smaller DB's on fade routes or who can get open on quick slants by muscling their way to the inside of the DB covering them.

Size and strength do matter, and they matter more in the red zone where there's less room to maneuver.

As for D.Thompson starting ... dont' think for a minute that this is in place of J.Green. I fully expect a Steve Spurrier starting line-up to include 3 WR's. Thompson and Gardner are the ends, and J.Green is the slot.

Yep, except I would insert Doering on EVERY 3d down play if we need more than one yard. His routes are perfect, he has hands of glue and he can read Wuerffel's mind...

HTTR!!:cheers:

Originally posted by GatorRob

Yep, except I would insert Doering on EVERY 3d down play if we need more than one yard. His routes are perfect, he has hands of glue and he can read Wuerffel's mind...

HTTR!!:cheers:

Couldn't agree more!!

Originally posted by redman

Size and strength do matter, and they matter more in the red zone where there's less room to maneuver.

Yup, a bunch of little guys can really help move a team between the 20's ... but they can't block for ****, and they tend not to run any of the higher percentage plays needed to keep defenses honest.

Basically, you got have him, and they are great to mix in here and there, but I wouldn't want to displace a full-service WR with a small one limited to a particular role.

Archived