Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Signs that our Offense is improving.... (Merged)

panthro

1) brunnell doesn't seem comfortable trusting all of his receivers to correctly run their routes. he waits until they've completed their routes before throwing - most of the time they're covered by the time he decides to throw. he missed farris coming deep over the middle once because he waited too long to throw. if he had put it up before farris had made his cut, it would have been a great reception.

2) cooley has had problems holding on to the ball at times this season. seems like he's concerned about getting hit. one pass he dropped today was definitely because he was worried about getting nailed by the cardinal next to him (don't remember who it was). cooley's great when he's on. when he's not focused, he's a dud. today, he didn't seem focused.

3) once again, we went away from the run (2nd quarter) after we established a dominant running game. portis was getting 5 and 6 yards/carry going to the right in the first quarter. it didn't seem like we called any plays to the right at all in the second quarter.

4) i can't really say i'm impressed with betts as a back. he just doesn't seem like he's got enough power. i'd much rather see rock or portis carrying the ball on third downs instead of betts.

5) we're going to need a couple of trick plays to win the next few weeks. we'd better have something up our sleeves and be efficient in running it (unlike the botched reverse today). seems like there's very little creativity in our play calling.

I think Patten was more important to this offense than I realized when he went down. Betts and Rock are good runners. Both have proven that they can gain yards. The only thing I have a question about is Brunell. Is he not finding the open receiver? Are the receivers not getting open? On one or two plays today that I could tell I thought he had an open receiver and didn't find the player instead throwing elsewhere. Only the coaches know the answer.

Your first point makes sense. However, after seeing some of the INTs, it looked like he and the WRs were not on the same page (not assigning blame because I don't know which guy messed up) so it's tough to blame him for that.

agreed. not sure i'm really blaming brunnell at this point, but more just stating a fact. maybe i need to change the wording of my original post.

would love to see the guys develop some real chemistry.

I think Patten was more important to this offense than I realized when he went down. Betts and Rock are good runners. Both have proven that they can gain yards. The only thing I have a question about is Brunell. Is he not finding the open receiver? Are the receivers not getting open? On one or two plays today that I could tell I thought he had an open receiver and didn't find the player instead throwing elsewhere. Only the coaches know the answer.

I too was wrong about patten. I miss him and I believe our passing game is suffering due to his absence. I cannot put the fault on brunell. When the guys get open he hits them, but I swear, our recievers are hardly ever open. Moss is always double if not triple covered. The only other reciever that seems to get open is cooley, and if he has a game like today then our passing offense is screwed. I simply cannot put 2 of the three int's today on brunell. The first was a perfectly thrown ball that was tipped in the air by cooley. The second looked like a blown route by cooley. Cooley had a bad game. Brunell had a bad game, but if the recievers dont catch the ball, and cant get open how is it brunells fault? I personally trust brunell with the ball more than any qb on our team. And I feel he has taken some punishment today that isnt his for the taking.

5) we're going to need a couple of trick plays to win the next few weeks. we'd better have something up our sleeves and be efficient in running it (unlike the botched reverse today). seems like there's very little creativity in our play calling.

Last week against the Rams Portis attempted a pass but it was incomplete. But other than that I havent seen to many trick plays so far this year. It definently would help if we would use some. Maybe we will next week though.

Guest Xtrmskn04

I don't think I agree with just about any of this. First, i do agree Brunell is not in sink with his receivers (other than moss). This is probably due to the injury to Patten, lack of time working with them in the system and just a drop off in talent in getting open. I think Cooley is one of the best TE in the league and he normally cathes everything. Today he dropped a few but they were not the best thrown balls on earth. I think we get away from the run primarily in short yardage because we are just not very good at it right now. i am not sure if it is the o-line or the fact that portis is not the big pound it up the middle type of back. Betts I think is still a little injured (as has been the case all his career it seems like) and this has limited his production. Finally, I would love to see us run some trick plays to keep defenses honest.

Last week against the Rams Portis attempted a pass but it was incomplete. But other than that I havent seen to many trick plays so far this year. It definently would help if we would use some. Maybe we will next week though.

If we've been saving them for anything, it's this Cowboys game. The season is on the line, it's our hated enemy, and the offense has been stagnant. Perfect time for some trickeration.

As far as the playcalling, I really think that Gibbs went back to his conservative nature when we started making mistakes.

The way I've seen it all season is that we normally throw short passes 0-15 yards and depend on the YAC. That used to upset me because it doesn't stretch the defense since they just play to keep the WR in front of them.

But today he was trying to do some more big plays and he paid the price for it. I really think that it made Brunell think twice about some of the throws.

Basically, Brunell has gotten us here by being a safe QB. No need not to turn into a gunslinger Brett Farve type QB who throws 3TDs and 3 PICS. Lets stick with what works and make changes come February.

We need our offensive line to block for Portis. Forget the hat trick plays, not reliable. Running the ball on Dallas will demoralize them, and frustrate Bledsoe, and cause him to throw interceptions. We cannot abandon the run hoping Brunell will toss up two td's in 5 minutes like he in the first game. Run Run Run. Then pass when they are thinking run.

Archived