Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why don't teams have a huge guy to block FGs

method man

How many guys have broken their knees playing football? Not many..

I've thought of this too, it is NOT a waste of a roster spot cuz it would be an incredible way of stopping kicks from getting through the uprights, if you get a really tall guy with a good vertical, you could stop extra points and long feild goal attempts EASILY.

I've thought of this too, it is NOT a waste of a roster spot cuz it would be an incredible way of stopping kicks from getting through the uprights, if you get a really tall guy with a good vertical, you could stop extra points and long feild goal attempts EASILY.

I'm not sure, but I think most blocked field goals and extra points are made from the edge rushers, not the guys in the middle...and when they ARE blocked by the guys in the middle, it's as much due to the kick being too low as it is some player jumping up high enough to block the kick. And it would be a waste of a roster space in my eyes if (mayyybe) blocking a field goal is the only thing that player is useful for...

I say forget big tall guys, and let's get Kung-Fu masters. They'll drop kick the **** out of the QB and the opposing team will have no opportunity to even get into FG range. Thus nullifying the need for a big guy to block FGs. I'm a goddamned genius!

Or we can get Bulls to mow down the offensive line so we can get plenty of sacks.:doh:

I think knee injuries are among the most common football related injuries.

I brought up this same point when Manute Bol was playing for the Bullets. He was actually a trooper. He'd stand right in the way of charging defenders like Barkley and either take the charge or swat away his shot. Bol could also double as a foul pole at the old Memorial Stadium.

Other than people like Bol, maybe getting someone like the ex-NBA star David Thompson, who had some sick hops, would be useful as a kick blocker.

As for a waste of a roster spot, I think not. They'd be some great red zone WRs catching the fade in the end zone.

I also wish the Skins had somebody who was 6'8 or 6'9 and it wouldn't be a roster waste because he could be used as a tight end. I always wondered why teams don't get a 6-8 tight end with long arms who can run 10 yards down the field and jump up and catcha pass thrown 12 feet in the air with those long arms.

Thats same guy could have a much better chance of blocking extra points and field goals. ??? you got me why they never try it.

I have always wondered this too. Though they wpouldn't serve a purpose until the opposing team had to kick a FG of over 45 yds, they could be vital in really close games. The things is, do you want to spend a roster spot on a guy who can only, possibly, make a difference on 45 + yd FGs?

isn;'t the real question "do you want to spend a roster spot on a guy who can only win you 1 or 2 games per year"?

if we miss out on the playoffs by 1 game this year maybe you might wanna change your answer.

Even a tall guy would have to be lucky to be directly in line with the ball and jump at the exact time the ball passed so he still wouldn't block a lot of kicks.

Also if teams had players to do this then the other team would just start kicking it from a couple yards further away so that the ball is higher when passing the line.

Whos knows, might happen some day...

But we should use Sean Taylor for this lol....

g2g night every1!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I always wonder why someone doesn't go back on long field goals and try and "goaltend." I don't know if it is illegal, or what. But these guys jump up and dunk the football over the upright all the time. On those long FG's that barely go over, someone could block that.......we should use Sean Taylor for that! :laugh:

Archived