Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor as goal line running back

canesluver

sean taylor fans remind me of kobe bryant fans.

very delusional.no offense

Don't get too confused here and make sweeping generalizations. I won't speak for others on this thread, but I'm a huge Sean Taylor fan. Just not a Taylor at RB fan.

EVEN Rock's vertical jump is higher than Taylor's!!

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/profiles/cartwright_rock.htm

ROCK:

AGILITY TESTS

4.47 in the 40-yard dash … 35 inch vertical jump … Bench presses 225 pounds … 30 times 415-pound bench press … 917-pound safe squat … 373-pound hang clean … 11.7 percent body fat … 30 3/4-inch arm length … 9-inch hands …

Blondie

I have listened to your comments on this board for over a year or so with respect, but to say that Rock's vertical is greater than Taylors is an absolute ridiculous stretch. I thought this thread was done for you, as per your post 5 posts earlier than the one I'm replying to.

We have CP...you know the 24 yr old RB with over 5,000 yards in his career already. You know the 24 yr old guy with 41 career TDs.

If we let ST play RB does that mean we have to let CP play safety?

Absolutely correct. It would make no sense to let CP play safety -- he HATES CONTACT !! :laugh:

If your going to argue strength, quickness, or offensive knowledge, I might listen, but to try to say Portis has a higher vertical than Taylor, I want some of what you're smoking. Ask any Skin on our team the question of vertical, and there is only one answer you'll here, Taylor. If you think he has a 34-1/2" vertical, and Clinton's is 39", that is ludicrous. Are you trying to compare a 3-1/2 year player that has recently gained 20 pounds for Gibbs, to a sophomore in college. Taylor hasn't even reached his maximum vertical yet.

That's why I made the statement. Ironman Football playersplay both sides of the ball "all the time". I'm just suggesting he is in on goal line situations to leap "over" the pile. He already plays safety and special teams. Are you suggesting that he's more apt to get hurt on a leap over the pile, than on a special teams play?

I think it would work once, maybe twice. But then teams will counter the leap whenever they see him lined up back there, forcing him into unneeded contact. In the NFL, teams will adapt quickly. Interesting idea though.

I have listened to your comments on this board for over a year or so with respect, but to say that Rock's vertical is greater than Taylors is an absolute ridiculous stretch. I thought this thread was done for you, as per your post 5 posts earlier than the one I'm replying to.

I enjoy how you need to question me when the others doubt your assertions also. IF my posting IS so ridiculous, please post FROM a reliable source Taylor's stats. I will always admit when I am proven wrong, UNLIKE those who need to argue just for the sake of making THEIR point.

And as for me being done...... I received a couple of PMs asking that I look at this again.

So, here I am.

Again, since you missed this one......... Just to quote you.........dont' you think IF the COACHES thought Taylor had this great ability, we would have already seen it?

And this thread is NOT about Rock.......this is a thread YOU began about Taylor playing RB. I, along with others......have given you data about the improbability of that happening.

Blondie

canesluver, maybe you should try to read what I, ( and what blondie did as well), posted one more time. Where did I say anything like that? Where did I compare? Answer. I didn't. NFL .com did. I just provided links and excerpst from reports that they provide. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they just may have pretty good resources where information from the combines are concerned. Same as from profootball weekly, who reported..well..reports. Sorry these don't mesh with your beliefs or anything, but don't blame me for simply posting facts as they have been reported. And you're going to have to do better than ask the players. That's just being silly. You and I have no idea what they may or may not say, unless of course you have been discussing this with them already.

As for the physical part, only 21/2 years seperate the 2 men. Portis, according to alot of what I've read and seen, gained only 10 lbs. Been my experience that if that weight is gained in a balanced way, no speed or leaping ability is compromised. Sean is 22 8 months..hardly a sophmore even at Miami. He's about peaked where growth is concerned.

edit. See blondie responded while I was writing. Agreed with what was said there.

Well.... regardless of whose verticle is "bigger".... having ST leap the line on goal might be a little "over the top", but they have put him on as big wideout.... so anything is fair-game, I suppose.

I'm looking forward to a healthy Salave'a to bust one in too. :D

Sometimes it is best to save your breath as some just need the attention.

THIS will no longer occupy space in my mind.

Blondie

This is what drew my ire. If you think I need such attention, prove to me in any other of my 500+ posts that I have done or said anything for you to respond this way. Total disrespect, and I responded. Then you added to the fire with the Rock vertical assertion. Totally ludicrous to think Rock has a higher vertical. If you have watched a few downfield plays, when Taylor vertically leaps, he is 6-12 inches higher than anyone on the field.

This is what drew my ire. If you think I need such attention, prove to me in any other of my 500+ posts that I have done or said anything for you to respond this way. Total disrespect, and I responded. Then you added to the fire with the Rock vertical assertion. Totally ludicrous to think Rock has a higher vertical. If you have watched a few downfield plays, when Taylor vertically leaps, he is 6-12 inches higher than anyone on the field.

I can assure you I watch every play.....every game.......every down.

You sir were the first one to be disrespectful in your anwer to REDPHOENIX that said "Go away. If you can't make an educated post about the subject at hand, don't bother. Why don't we make Frost our starting half back".

ALTHOUGH that answer was not to me, it was not necessary. I have no disrespect for you......but I do see now that you feel it is ok to be rude, but can not handle someone taking you to task.

I am having a very hard time understanding this thread.....and your thought on this and I am beginning to find this thread very amusing......really.

So, dear, if you want Taylor to leap into the endzone........then I hope he just leaps to his little heart's content........and you can be thrilled.As many on here have stated....this idea could cause great injury to Taylor.......and it doesn't matter how athletic he is.

Blondie

canesluver, maybe you should try to read what I, ( and what blondie did as well), posted one more time. Where did I say anything like that? Where did I compare? Answer. I didn't. NFL .com did. I just provided links and excerpst from reports that they provide. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they just may have pretty good resources where information from the combines are concerned. Same as from profootball weekly, who reported..well..reports. Sorry these don't mesh with your beliefs or anything, but don't blame me for simply posting facts as they have been reported. And you're going to have to do better than ask the players. That's just being silly. You and I have no idea what they may or may not say, unless of course you have been discussing this with them already.

As for the physical part, only 21/2 years seperate the 2 men. Portis, according to alot of what I've read and seen, gained only 10 lbs. Been my experience that if that weight is gained in a balanced way, no speed or leaping ability is compromised. Sean is 22 8 months..hardly a sophmore even at Miami. He's about peaked where growth is concerned.

edit. See blondie responded while I was writing. Agreed with what was said there.

I'm just trying to show that you were comparing almost 4 year old stats on Clinton to the stats of Taylor when he finished his sophomore year at Miami. Clinton has taken 3-1/2 years of NFL lumps as a running back, as well as gaining 10-20 pounds for Gibbs this year. Taylor has almost two years of physical growth from his college days. You, nor Blondie, are from DC, so you may have missed a local Comcast broadcast where Taylor blew the reporter away with an amazing unprompted vertical leap at Redskin Park.

Listen, all I was saying is that the Skins struggle on the goal line. How many times, outside a pass, have we scored from inside the two? How many rushing attempts have we tried to secure these few TD's? We just aren't getting it done down deep running the football. I have seen Taylor lined up at WR in goal line situations. One might think Gibbs might be trying to take advatage of his vertical leaping ability. But, I guess I'm just a fool to suggest that he might line him up behind th QB to take advantage of those same skills. As others have posted, he did play RB in high school.

You sir were the first one to be disrespectful in your anwer to REDPHOENIX that said "Go away. If you can't make an educated post about the subject at hand, don't bother. Why don't we make Frost our starting half back".

Actually he was rude, being entirely sarcastic when he said I had it all wrong....put Taylor in as kicker, put Hall in as running back, and etc. etc.

You were the one who started with me when I haven't ever done anything in my year of posting to be sarcastic or cruel to you in any way. It's funny how your trying to twist things around.

You guys get all wrapped up in your arguing and you don't even point out how funny my post about CP not liking contact was !! Geeez paople, that was quality stuff. :laugh:

Aw diesel, I missed that!!

It IS good stuff.

I promise to attend to your posts in the future!

;)

Blondie

Actually he was rude, being entirely sarcastic when he said I had it all wrong....put Taylor in as kicker, put Hall in as running back, and etc. etc.

You were the one who started with me when I haven't ever done anything in my year of posting to be sarcastic or cruel to you in any way. It's funny how your trying to twist things around.

Ok. Whatever.

If you have anything else to say to me, please put it in a PM.

Blondie

We have CP...you know the 24 yr old RB with over 5,000 yards in his career already. You know the 24 yr old guy with 41 career TDs.

If we let ST play RB does that mean we have to let CP play safety?

You're absolutely right ! Now I see your logic. It truly wouldn't make any sense to play CP at safety.....because he hates contact !! :laugh:

(There ya go Blondie - the original post and my response)

Well glad to "hear" that Sean blew a reporter away. Which does nothing to refute that which has been provided. And again, I wasn't comparing. You made a statement, ( for which you have to provide any evidence for,) about Sean's vertical leap and then asked what Redskins RB has more. That information was provided. I watch the games too. Have them taped. Watch them more than once at times. Sean's athletic ability is not in question here. However, I've not seen Clinton nor Rock, nor Betts try leaping that much. So like you, I have no idea if they can or cannot jump higher than Sean right now. Best I have are the stats provided. If you have more than that, please feel free to share. And I'm not going to be drawn into a frivilous debate, ( as opossed to what I'm doing now......), about who can jump higher.

For the record books, Clinton Portis was nearly the same age as Sean when those tests were done. Though 4 years ago, the tests were done 2 years apart. And again, I'm not going to be drawn into the obvious debate that can lead too. It's silly and nonsensical at this point to get into Sean can jump higher because CP has taken a pounding but Sean hasn't yada yada.

Simply put, bad idea. Sean is way too important to the defense to risk being injured for what is only a marginal part of whatever problem there may be with the Red zone scoring. Leaping for a TD. As has been stated and shown, CP seems to be able to do so and Rock may or may not be able to do so. None of us can say. As Blondie has stated, if in fact this was a solution and Sean's leaping ability that far and above the others, then I'm guessing Joe would have considered what you are suggesting. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that maybe Joe has a grasp on the abilities of those he coaches, ( he did have him as receiver), as well as their limitations. And their history.

You guys get all wrapped up in your arguing and you don't even point out how funny my post about CP not liking contact was !! Geeez paople, that was quality stuff. :laugh:

I did see that. Sorry. I got a laugh out of that one. Sorry. Forgot to give props. Sigh. Here I was, all busy getting ready for a fight, ( gratuitous Silverado quote....kind of).

Sarcasm does not necessarily = rude. Cetainly doesn't mean one should respond in kind. Just so you know. You were rude. You have to have thick skin around here. You should know that by now. Folks aren't always going to agree with you all the time. They are even going to respond negatively. I would suggest not being so sensitive when it happens nor so selective in who you respond too. 'Nuff said on that.

And enough on this suggestion for me I think.

I enjoy how you need to question me when the others doubt your assertions also. IF my posting IS so ridiculous, please post FROM a reliable source Taylor's stats. I will always admit when I am proven wrong, UNLIKE those who need to argue just for the sake of making THEIR point.

And as for me being done...... I received a couple of PMs asking that I look at this again.

So, here I am.

Again, since you missed this one......... Just to quote you.........dont' you think IF the COACHES thought Taylor had this great ability, we would have already seen it?

And this thread is NOT about Rock.......this is a thread YOU began about Taylor playing RB. I, along with others......have given you data about the improbability of that happening.

Blondie

Greg Williams has been quoted with saying Taylor has the best veritcal on the team.. =)

Well alrighty then. I've seen threads for Taylor being a WR, LB, and now RB. That leaves us with Tightend, QB and Left Guard still to go. ;)

I was thinking of Long Ball Snapper...and no PCS...I'm not talking about that last trip to Thailand...

Archived