Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taylor as goal line running back

canesluver

I don't know whether this has been addressed in the past, but I would love to see Taylor used in goal line situations. He has a huge vertical leap. I saw Portis do this in the last game, but he made it in even though it wasn't much of a leap. Gibbs has said that Taylor is an awesome athlete that could be an excellent running back as well as other positions he could fill. My question is, could he be our answer on goal line situations?

Sure, lets have our starting saftey and one of the best players on the team, play ironman football, and on top of that lets throw him in goal line situations where he has to throw himself over big defensive linemen, this way we can ensure that he gets hurt and is placed on IR. Seriously, thats what we have big bodies like Sellers and an array of different backs like Nemo and Cartright, Betts and of course Portis to do. I would even give it to cooley to run in before we put Taylor in that situation. I could see him playing a LITTLE BIT of WR but thats because he isnt in piles like a running back would be. Couldnt this have been addressed in any number of threads already open on topics like this? :doh: :sucks:

I don't know whether this has been addressed in the past, but I would love to see Taylor used in goal line situations. He has a huge vertical leap. I saw Portis do this in the last game, but he made it in even though it wasn't much of a leap. Gibbs has said that Taylor is an awesome athlete that could be an excellent running back as well as other positions he could fill. My question is, could he be our answer on goal line situations?

Lol you know the man has 7 TD's this season.? Hes been doing great lately with them too.

Not a bad suggestion though...i think it would make Clinton sorta pissed not becuase hes not a team player but becuase 42 TD's in 4 Seasons in his career and im sure he wants some more and it would be sorta an insult to use a defensive player becuase he isnt supposedly good enough...

Sure, lets have our starting saftey and one of the best players on the team, play ironman football, and on top of that lets throw him in goal line situations where he has to throw himself over big defensive linemen, this way we can ensure that he gets hurt and is placed on IR. Seriously, thats what we have big bodies like Sellers and an array of different backs like Nemo and Cartright, Betts and of course Portis to do. I would even give it to cooley to run in before we put Taylor in that situation. I could see him playing a LITTLE BIT of WR but thats because he isnt in piles like a running back would be. Couldnt this have been addressed in any number of threads already open on topics like this? :doh: :sucks:

I'm not talking about using him as a running back on every down like you suggest. How often does a goal line(1-2 yards from the end zone) come up. I'm talking about leaping over the pile on those few situations.

Uh, no.

This is NOT a good idea.

Really.

Blondie

Never mind. All I was saying is that we struggle on goal line situations. The easiest way in is over the top. Alstott, a fullback did it twice to us in TB. It is done routinely throughout NFL history. We have someone on our team that has one of the highest vertical leaps recordable, and I just thought that might be something that we could use. Sorry for the post.

I'm not talking about using him as a running back on every down like you suggest. How often does a goal line(1-2 yards from the end zone) come up. I'm talking about leaping over the pile on those few situations.

I never suggested anything like using him all the time. I dont think its worth using him in goalline situations only, putting him in a situation to be at the bottom of a pile or in a high traffic to be hit by 300 pound linemen. It just isnt smart, he'd get hurt then we're out a SAFETY. That is why we drafted him right? Goal line situations are for running backs or fullbacks, not safeties. So, when in my last post did I suggest we use him as an every down back? Thats right, I didnt.

Playing in Highschool and College, "Ironman Football" was a term I used to hear for those playing both sides of the ball, offense and defense.

That's why I made the statement. Ironman Football playersplay both sides of the ball "all the time". I'm just suggesting he is in on goal line situations to leap "over" the pile. He already plays safety and special teams. Are you suggesting that he's more apt to get hurt on a leap over the pile, than on a special teams play?

This is almost as bad as the people who want to move Taylor down to OLB while he's in his prime just to satisfy their inner hatred of Lavar Arrington, and move Arrington down to DE full time.

How is suggesting a player be used in goal line situations only comparable to someone saying he should be our starting OLB?

That's why I made the statement. Ironman Football players play both sides of the ball "all the time". I'm just suggesting he is in on goal line situations to leap "over" the pile. He already plays safety and special teams. Are you suggesting that he's more apt to get hurt on a leap over the pile, than on a special teams play?

I think in a goal line pile situation that yes there is more of a chance for him to get hurt then playing special teams, he may not even see contact on a special teams play, where as in a pile he is being forced into contact, and then multiple people land on him. We didnt draft him for that. Why would you want to take a starting player who we drafted in the top ten and put him in a situation to get hurt where he isnt used to playing? Its just isnt smart. Why you even have reason to complain about our ground game is beyond me. Portis is over a thousand yards on the season and has had at least a thousand yards every year he plays the game. Hey, I hear Gibbs himself can jump real high too, does that give you any idea's on who to switch into the line up?

you got it all wrong,,,..............put Taylor in as kicker,put hall in as running back,,and offer novak a big time contract from az,,

Go away. If you can't make an educated post about the subject at hand, don't bother. Why don't we make Frost our starting half back?

Go away. If you can't make an educated post about the subject at hand, don't bother. Why don't we make Frost our starting half back?

The bottom line is that we have a stable of running backs (Cartright, Portis, Betts, Sellers, Cooley to an extent, Nemo) and I would rather test the athletic jumping ability of ANY of those backs before puttin Taylor in a situation like that. I understand that you are awe struck by that mans vertical jumping superiority, but he's a Safety, he should stay a healthy one. :2cents:

its an idea but id much rather see rock leap over the pile or cp,

Have you seen them jump over the pile? Clinton barely once, and I don't think Rock has had an attempt. That's why I am suggesting Taylor. What is the vertical leap of Rock and Clinton? Does anyone remember Payton? I don't know how many times he went over the top. He had a great vertical. I would just like to see the Skins have that potential threat when they have a goal line situation.

I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this, but Sean Taylor was a running back in high school, an amazing one.

He still holds the record for most rushing touchdowns in a season, 44 of them, in the state of Florida. Think of all the great running backs that played high school football in Florida and think about who holds that record.

I've seen some tapes from a couple of his high school games and he just made all the other guys look like preschoolers. I really can't explain in any better than that. He was running through people, over people, past people....just imagine today's LaDainian Tomlinson suiting up and playing against your local high school team. I honestly don't think he could look more dominant than Sean Taylor did in these clips I saw.

Remember how Clinton Portis said something like "Man, I thought they were bringing in a new running back to replace me" in reference to watching some of ST's high school tapes. After seeing those tapes, I really don't think he was kidding.

Edit: I'm not sure many of you have seen these clips I'm talking about, but at Miami ST used to be a punt returner. He was a machine there. It was kind of like watching a much bigger and stronger Dante Hall.

That being said, I still wouldnt play him at running back.

:nono:

Have you seen them jump over the pile? Clinton barely once, and I don't think Rock has had an attempt. That's why I am suggesting Taylor. What is the vertical leap of Rock and Clinton? Does anyone remember Payton? I don't know how many times he went over the top. He had a great vertical. I would just like to see the Skins have that potential threat when they have a goal line situation.

SINCE you have NOT seen Rock make an attempt......AND have seen CP make only 1.......and he did a good job then.......why not think about Rock doing this......or Betts or CP again.

I think the Skins DO HAVE A POTENTIAL threat withOUT Taylor.

Blondie

Archived