Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why don't we use Portis more in the passing game?

six4g

I believe in his last year in Denver he had like 70+ receptions, so I'm not buying the thought that he's not effective in that role. It just seems like that's a big play waiting to happen. Look what he did this past week. Caught a little flair out of the backfield and went 23 yards with it. Anyway we can get this guy the ball out in space would sem to be a no brainer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Although Santana Moss fills that role for us right now and is very successful at it, I'm for it if only because it would add a little more variety to our offense. I'm still grumbling about being so predictable on offense week in and week out (although the first 3 quarters last week were pretty ok).

Which kinda adds to my point. If we throw to Portis coming out of the backfield, teams can't spend as much energy double covering moss. Clinton becomes more of a threat, which in turn makes Moss that much more dangerous. It would probably free up Cooley as well.

Which kinda adds to my point. If we throw to Portis coming out of the backfield, teams can't spend as much energy double covering moss. Clinton becomes more of a threat, which in turn makes Moss that much more dangerous. It would probably free up Cooley as well.

See, this guy knows what he's talking about, now we need to let the coaching staff in on this little secret.

What happened to using Sean Taylor at wideout in the red zone? I thought that was brilliant considering Gibbs thinks he's the most athletic guy on the team.

:point2sky

IMO, I think we should try to establish a reliable second wide receiver. As it stands, Jacobs and Thrash have not asserted themselves. Of course teams are going to key on Moss-- Brunell has no confidence in his other wideouts. Cooley has proven to be a great intermediate threat, but we need another guy to take the heat off of Moss.

I hate to admit this, because I'm such a JG homer, but this unimaginative playcalling is what's killing us. The entire league knows that we're trying to make CP the second coming of Earnest Byner, who we attempted to mold into the John Riggins image. He's not meant to be run between the tackles on slow developing 1980's circa plays. Don't get me wrong I loved the traps and counter trey during the "old" days, but you need to mold your playcalling to the talent of the players that you presently have.

Give Clinton the ball on those quick hitting runs on the edges. Get him in space on the swing passes and pitch outs. He would be killing defenses.

I watched the Tampa game and everyone was nuts about Ladell catching the ball out of the backfield. I'm thinking get it to your big play back in those types of situations and see what happens. Remember that infamous TD that was called back in Green Bay last year? That's the type of results I see when we involve him more in the passing game. Instead of handing it off to him on 1st down every single time; hit him floating out of the backfield and let us all sit back and say:

Run Cinton, Run!

Portis isn't as good as we thought he was in alot of ways. He's had some opportunities to make plays in the passing game, but he drops passes. And when he does catch the passes, he doesn't do anything to make people miss.

He's just not the elite playmaker he was advertised as being.

We can dog Gibbs for his playcalling... but it's the players who make the coaches look good in some cases... and aside from Moss, we don't have any playmakers on offense. Look at Tomlinson for the Chargers... he makes people miss. He breaks tackles and creates plays. His offensive line isn't any better than ours. He doesn't have bigger holes to run through than Portis... he makes people miss.

Okay we can't compare him to LT. As a matter of fact there's not a back in the last 4-5 years that can compare to LT. (Only one I can think of is that #20 fellow)

In Portis' defense, you can't expect him to perform with great numbers in a power running system, he's not a power back. A coach who's been acclaimed to be such a great offensive mind has to be able to find a way to mold his offensive concepts to wards the specific talents of his star running back.

Its like the argument that we constantly have about Williams not being able to find a way to effectively use Lavar. A great coach would fnd a way to play to the talents of his best players. Don't let your ego prevent you from correctly using the talents that you have in place.

I think portis has the ability to give us those very same numbers that he produced in Denver; we just need to put him in the right situations to do so.

See, this guy knows what he's talking about, now we need to let the coaching staff in on this little secret.

What happened to using Sean Taylor at wideout in the red zone? I thought that was brilliant considering Gibbs thinks he's the most athletic guy on the team.

:point2sky

:applause: :applause: I agree with both of you!! We should definately be using Portis more in the passing game, because not using him is like wasting some of the skills he has. And I also agree that we should think about using ST in the redzone more often. He's big, tall and athletic and has a great wing span.

I wanna see JG's open up his offense like he used to do, instead of being so one dimensional and predictable. :point2sky

Don't get me wrong I loved the traps and counter trey during the "old" days, but you need to mold your playcalling to the talent of the players that you presently have.

Give Clinton the ball on those quick hitting runs on the edges. Get him in space on the swing passes and pitch outs. He would be killing defenses.

Did you watch the finish of the Charger game? LT scored on our "old" Counter style play, complete with the pulling guard. You'll see that play in Vince Lombardi Packer highlights. Why? Because it works if you execute. Those of you who don't get this are telling on yourselves. You've never played. Further, the most prevalent offense in the league TODAY is the West Coast offense which Bill Walsh brought to prominence in the '80s. Last I knew Gibbs was winning Super Bowls in the '90s. It's execution folks. Sprint Right Option, which Dwight Clark and Joe Montana made famous as "The Catch" in the 1981 NFC Championship game will be scene in all it's glory 50 times before this weekend is out. Why, because it works if you execute.

I hate to admit this, because I'm such a JG homer, but this unimaginative playcalling is what's killing us. The entire league knows that we're trying to make CP the second coming of Earnest Byner, who we attempted to mold into the John Riggins image. He's not meant to be run between the tackles on slow developing 1980's circa plays. Don't get me wrong I loved the traps and counter trey during the "old" days, but you need to mold your playcalling to the talent of the players that you presently have.

I watched the Tampa game and everyone was nuts about Ladell catching the ball out of the backfield. I'm thinking get it to your big play back in those types of situations and see what happens. Remember that infamous TD that was called back in Green Bay last year? That's the type of results I see when we involve him more in the passing game. Instead of handing it off to him on 1st down every single time; hit him floating out of the backfield and let us all sit back and say:

Run Cinton, Run!

Good points also is it me or are the Skins trying to implemnent what Denver does to get Portis going out of the 3 WR set.

portis is a superstar he just doesn't have the best hands in the business. Rather than use his thumbs/pointer fingers to catch the ball like a normal receiver would he puts his wrists together and opens his hands. Really weird form IMO.

He is still the guy that teams focus on stopping. There is really no mystery that if you stop portis you stop the Redskins. We're 7-2 when he rushes for 100 or more.

Did you watch the finish of the Charger game? LT scored on our "old" Counter style play, complete with the pulling guard.

Okay the Chargers run our offense better than we do. I've said on more than one account, LT is a patient, gifted running back, without peer in the present NFL. CP is a product of the "U" (see the hole, hit the hole). His whole adult football life, offenses have been geared not to his ability to read or setup blocks, but his ability to hit that first gap at almost full speed.

Betts is a much better receiver out of the backfield. He's more fluid -- he catches the ball and takes off. Portis, if he even catches it, tends to stumble for about five steps.

I like CP, but I think we've missed Betts more than people think. Brunell was really starting to look for him before he got hurt. With Betts out, Mark had to start looking at Robert Royal again -- and we all know how that turned out.

Archived