Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why don't we use Portis more in the passing game?

six4g

Anyway we can get this guy the ball out in space would sem to be a no brainer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Exactly what i was thinking. If our running game cant get him space, then why not throw it to him. If you give Clinton some space, he will be the back we thought we were getting when we traded for him. Right now, whatever wins us games and gets us to he playoffs im down with.

I believe in his last year in Denver he had like 70+ receptions, so I'm not buying the thought that he's not effective in that role. It just seems like that's a big play waiting to happen. Look what he did this past week. Caught a little flair out of the backfield and went 23 yards with it. Anyway we can get this guy the ball out in space would sem to be a no brainer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Portis has below average hands. He can catch swing passes out the backfield, screend and dumps but thats about it.

because he can't make a catch to save his life.:point2sky

Wow, has everyone forgotten that great catch he made against the Eagles already? :doh:

I think the reason why you don't see him much in the passing game is because he is also a pretty good blocker and he's often in on pass protection. Gibbs has talked recently with the injuries to get him more involved in the passing game.

Jason

Listen, our team has a problem with the passing game......Moss down field is the only option that we had to stretch the field. Teams are learning that double teaming him and playing under on the passing games will stuff our offense cause our teams don't like to throw down field. We only like the short passing schemes. Cooly, Royal, Sellers and so forth.

Passing to Portis more out of the back field does nothing for us because we cannot make the defense respect the down field passing game.

I believe in his last year in Denver he had like 70+ receptions, so I'm not buying the thought that he's not effective in that role. It just seems like that's a big play waiting to happen. Look what he did this past week. Caught a little flair out of the backfield and went 23 yards with it. Anyway we can get this guy the ball out in space would sem to be a no brainer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have had the same thought and posted about it earlier in the season but I have become resigned to the fact that it just does not fit with our offensive mentality. I would love to see some swing passes and in general more looks to Portis coming out of the backfield.

Archived