Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ray Brown sign with Lions for vet minimum

Southtown

I saw on the ESPN2 ticker that Ray Brown signed with the Lions...KFFL later confirmed it...

Lions | Surprise Signing - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

15:08 PT: USA TODAY's Richard Weiner reports the Detroit Lions have signed free agent G Ray Brown (49ers). "VP Matt Millen and coach Marty Mornhinweg got Ray excited about the veteran leadership that they felt Ray could bring to the team," agent Steve Baker said. Brown signed a one-year, minimum contract worth $750,000.

What? We couldn't come up with the scratch for the vet minimum?

The FO must really think his 39-year-old body is finished. Otherwise, there's just no explanation for this. Does anyone really think he wouldn't START for the Skins?

I hope this means the Skins have something else in the works and they called his agent and said, "Go ahead and get a paycheck from the Lions. Good luck with that miserable franchise."

But I doubt it.

Chalk this one up to the fact that there's no accounting for some people's tastes. Why on earth someone would want to play the last year or two of their career on astroturf for a losing/rebuilding team with a looney head coach is beyond me. And he'll have to live in Detroit to boot! :laugh:

Anyway, what's Ben Coleman's number?

You guys need to quit crying over the fact that we failed to sign a 39-freakin-year-old guard to be the savior of our O-line. Personally, I'm glad to see him off the market and on another team's roster. I'd definitely rather pay more to get a younger, more versatile Ben Coleman or wait around to see what shakes loose onto the waiver wire.

I don't get it.

The Redskins don't think twice about acquiring Loverne and Vickers, two scrubs, to play guard in months past as backups or spot starters............

but now seem to be almost contemptuous of signing anyone but an elite guard here in august :shootinth

it is laudable the team wants to wait for the perfect bridegroom to walk through the door, but the Redskins have to realize they are bargaining at a time where there aren't a lot of attractive candidates available and the number of bidders is likely to increase as other offensive linemen get hurt in camp and the preseason.

if the 'patience' the team shows nets a younger lineman that can start here for several seasons that would be great.

but how many teams are going to be waiting around to do the Redskins such a favor for a reasonable price?

well, that is sometimes the case.

then again, on the other hand, Marty waited and waited last year to bring in another quarterback once Jeff George hurt his shoulder in minicamp and instead of having an ace up his sleeve ended up having to scramble in mid-preseason to sign retread Tony Banks who was cut by Dallas.

just because everyone in the NFL wants you to think there is a zen mystical quality to managing personnel, you see obvious and sometimes less than obvious gaffes from teams every season.

and often it costs them in spots were they can least afford to make a mistake.

I agree......somewhat.

However, Double S is double the coach that Marty was.

He is the golden child....I believe he will get the one he actually wants. The fiasco with Ramsey has hopefully awaken several eyes in the FO to our true needs.

Blondie

The problem with QB last year was a much more fundamental problem to us than the guard problem this year. Again, you have to rank your problems in order of priority in the cap era.

IMHO, we only really could use one more guard. Tucker has been fine at RG. If he can do for us what Raymer did at center, which is play good, solid, consistent football, then that's all we need to succeed.

The problem at LG seems to be that we have too many candidates, and too many injuries to allow us to consistently evaluate our talent. Loverne's had a strain of an arm ligament. Vickers had a urinary blockage. And Jones was first switched from RG to LG, and then has had to get reps at LT when Samuels went down. I have to think that one of those three guys can at least be adequate there.

Would I feel more comfortable with a proven veteran signing, like Ben Coleman (who incidentally played RG, not LG, last year)? Sure. But again I just don't see this as a reason to panic.

Got the answer to why the skins didn't sign him. This just in from Claytons quick hits:

Aug. 16, 2002

Pro Bowl guard Brown lured to Lions

Guard Ray Brown decided that his relationship with former 49ers assistant Marty Mornhinweg was more important than a few other opportunities. He agreed to a one-year, $775,000 deal with the Lions Friday that included a $25,000 signing bonus. Brown, 39, had calls from the Redskins and a couple of other teams. He weighed those possibilities before decided that the Lions was the team for him. The 49ers released Brown in a cap-related move in June. Brown went to the Pro Bowl last season.

Good find, Smootskins. This is like that former Ravens safety who signed there. I've said before it takes two to tango. People seem to think that these players are virtual automatons when it comes to free agency, and that they simply grab for the biggest stack of dollars or the best team or the most publicized team or whatever. There isn't always front office fault involved when we don't get guys we talk about wanting.

I've been assured by nearly everyone here that OL coach Kim Helton is some kind of secret genius, so I wouldn't worry. Earlier I had posted some critical comments about Helton, and was prompted and resoundingly "corrected".

Obviously if the Redskins didn't see fit to sign a 2001 Pro Bowl guard for the vet minimum (cap hit = $450K), there must a secret genius explanation.

While we're waiting for Helton's secret genius explanation, we can consider some clues, namely: we're paying two guys exactly what it would have cost to get Ray Brown:

1. Kipp Vickers

2. Rod Jones

We could have signed Brown and cut either of those guys without a cap hit, so you can't look to the front office for an explanation (it's not a dollars issue).

No, the secret genius explanation is known only to Kim Helton.

I'm glad I have you guys to correct me about Kim Helton, because otherwise I would think Helton was a complete and utter idiot. Now I'm peaceful and happy.

Thanks.

Love,

The Guy Who's Always Wrong

P.S. The Redskins had all summer to sign Brown. I hadn't heard the Lions were even interested until the signing. Whatever the relationship with Mornhinweg, that wasn't even relevant earlier in the summer, when Brown clearly wanted to sign with the Redskins. During that period, we heard that Helton hadn't even watched tape of Brown -- that's how disinterested this "secret genius" was in a 2001 Pro Bowl guard.

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

P.S. The Redskins had all summer to sign Brown. I hadn't heard the Lions were even interested until the signing.

Where had you heard that Brown was ever interested in playing for us, or in attending any training camp with any team and working on two-a-days for the umpteenth time in his career? I think you're being a bit presumptuous here.

The FO obviously saw the samething I did a guy whose best days were behind him who received a lifetime achievement probowl from the players and that some of our fans keep seeing Ray Brown as the younger version from his skins days.

Think of him as pat ewing, not from his georgetown days but from two years ago in seattle, the missing piece of the puzzle who didnt pan out.

If you are going to fail fail with the youngins who can learn from their mistakes and the knowledge may help them thus us next year.

redman:

Chalk this one up to the fact that there's no accounting for some people's tastes. Why on earth someone would want to play the last year or two of their career on astroturf for a losing/rebuilding team with a looney head coach is beyond me. And he'll have to live in Detroit to boot!

I should not touch this with a twenty foot pole, but I'm a native of Detroit & proud!

Your comment about Detroit was classless and I got a woody over it. I notice you CLAIM La La land as your choice to habituate. That's your PROBLEM sucker!!

Now if you want to go into the street and settle this, that's OK with me! High toned people like you just p!ss me off:finger:

LA, LA land: the joke of the NFL. Al Davis tought you a lesson, now you have a hard time gettin' over it. Well, just get over it chumps:box:

Getting back to the subject at hand:high:

PS redman: I'm still P!SSED you JERK!!!!!!!

Don't go there again redman! Not against any of our GREAT American cities! Do it and you have lost an admirer:cheers:

Archived