Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB question for next year

MrSilverMaC

I haven't seen this question asked here, so I thought I'd ask it.

Going into next year (assuming we still have Brunell on the roster) do we start J.C from the get go in preseason to get him acclimated to playing in the pros.

or

Do we let Brunell start (assuming he is still on the roster and Ramsey doesn't somehow get the job back (yeah I know it's almost impossible)) and slowly work J.C into the position.

or

Is there any way we start Brunell for the entire season, and let J.C sit again.

Like I said, I hadn't seen this question before, and if it was asked I cry your pardon.

It's going to be the same as this year. Brunell will be the starter. Ramsey will be in the final year of his contract. I doubt if we resign him after 2006. Or what could happen is Ramsey is traded for a 3rd round pick(that's what he's truly worth) and Campbell automatically moves up the depth chart as Mark's back up. Eventually Jason will start once Brunell retires.

I believe we should look heavily into shopping Ramsey around this off-season. It is funny for me to say this bc I honestly feel like he should have been our starter since the beginning of the year. Putting this aside, coach is not impressed with Patrick and I think his chances of taking over here are non-existant. Possible takers this off-season could be the Jets, the Lions (don't be surprised if Harrington is gone), the Ravens, the Dolphins, or the Titans (he would probably only have to back up for one yr there). We could sure up some holes with this trade and I think it is the way we will try to go. As for the QBs left next yr, I believe JC should have enough grooming to not neccessarily be handed the starting job, but be able to compete for it in camp.

We gambled pretty heavy to come up and get a guy that quite honestly I think might have slipped to us where we were at. By next yr he should be ready to step up and validate the faith that coach has showed in him.

Why are we so ready to throw out quaterbacks like Brunell and Ramsey. I still think Ramsey could be a quaterback that would work well in the system. I remember how so many wanted to get rid of Doug Williams (superbowl winner), aother number 11 (Mark Rypien) superbowl winner! We had two quaterbacks that were run out of town and yet started agaisnt each other in superbowls (Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon). Then there is Trent Green who we ran out of town and has been an incredible producer for the Rams and the Chiefs. Hell Even Gus Ferrotte is winning some games in Miami and even beat Oakland in which we coud not.

I do noth think Ramsey has been given his fair shake and I would hate to see him on another team winning football games. Neither him nor brunnell did anything in the preseason and Brunnell did nothing in the beginning of the season, he has gotten better but I do think that maybe his arm strength is getting weaker and has not been a deep ball threat at all other than two against Dallas that we all loved.

I do not think Campbell is ready nor will he be ready he did not come from a pro style offense out of college and he looked it in the preseason. He will need time and I think he has the possible to do great things but he will have to wait his turn as Williams, Rypien did! I still think ramsey is the quaterback for the next three seasons!

Why are we so ready to throw out quaterbacks like Brunell and Ramsey. I still think Ramsey could be a quaterback that would work well in the system. I remember how so many wanted to get rid of Doug Williams (superbowl winner), aother number 11 (Mark Rypien) superbowl winner! We had two quaterbacks that were run out of town and yet started agaisnt each other in superbowls (Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon). Then there is Trent Green who we ran out of town and has been an incredible producer for the Rams and the Chiefs. Hell Even Gus Ferrotte is winning some games in Miami and even beat Oakland in which we coud not.

You made a good point here. I had not put these events together. You have to ask yourself is the problem the system, team or the QB? These QB's you use as examples have all had some sucess elsewhere after we got rid of them and that would suggest its the system/organization or the rest of the team.

Too much praise/criticism goes to the QB. What we consider average QB's win superbowls with the right supporting cast while hall of fame QB's never win without the right team surrounding them.

I'm sure Ramsey will ask for a trade and knowing how Gibbs runs things he will probably ship Ramsey out. There will be a market for a young QB that has a great arm and can take a hit, not too mention he has never played with the full support of any coaching staff, so some team will take a chance on him believing they can turn him around, potential will take you far in the NFL.

If Gibbs is back then so is Brunell, Gibbs will sign a vet QB and the only competition will be for backup duties, which will be won by the vet.

Gibbs will not be here 12 years, we all know that, so the chances of JC seeing playing time when it counts is slim. Rookie QB's need a couple seasons to develop into NFL QB's, unless of course you get a Manning or Big Ben. Gibbs will not sacrifice a season to get JC up to speed, that will be left for the next HC to do.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

I still think the veteren quaterback should be Brunnell since he will know the system and the scheme. Ramsey should be given the chance. If they loose next week which we all hope they win 5 in a row then Rmasey should be put in for the Last four games and not JC. I do think JC will have a bright future just not now.

If you trade Ramsey who will we get and they will not know the system.

I still think the veteren quaterback should be Brunnell since he will know the system and the scheme. Ramsey should be given the chance. If they loose next week which we all hope they win 5 in a row then Rmasey should be put in for the Last four games and not JC. I do think JC will have a bright future just not now.

If you trade Ramsey who will we get and they will not know the system.

I still have my doubts that JC will end up being worth what we have sacrificed to get him. Still, it is clear that Gibbs and this staff see him as the heir-apparent to #8. Because of this, there is no reason to continue to develop Ramsey. As I said before, I always sided with #11 in the QB controversy but Gibbs doesn't have faith in him. If Ramsey plays at all this season it will be an audition for other teams -- not to try to improve his status here. Having said this, the reins (should we be knocked out of the race) should be handed over to JC. Ramsey has already showed his potential as a starting QB so other GMs have plenty to evaluate him on. Trust me, regardless of whether he plays down the stretch or not, there will be interest in him. He has an undeniable upside and someone will come after him....

Whoever we get in return for Ramsey will not be a QB so it really doesnt matter how familiar they are with our system.:dallasuck :gaintsuck

We have two excellent QB's both can win games for us. I hope we keep Ramsey for one more year. He is going to be a great leader on the field. I honestly feel that him and Brett has close stats in size and arm. If he would have been there all this time, the record would not have been different. I love Ramsey, it will come back to haunt us if he is traded. I say keep all three QBs next year.:dallasuck

Ramsey is gone -- he'll insist on it I'm sure. Should be interesting to see what we can get for him. What's the market for shell-shocked qbs with little poise and no field vision but tons of heart and a rocket arm?

Brunell, barring injury, will be our starter next year. JC will be number two. I'm fine with that -- the qb position is the least of our worries.

Campbell is the future. The skins' invested too much in him not to be (Then again, they did the same thing with Ramsey). However, I think that all the skins' need to be successful is to grow that killer instinct and I think Campbell provides that. Yes Brunell is having a solid year, but we need a quarterback that people find hard to defend against. Campbell can run and pass. Brunell can scramble, but at his age, defenses know that he won't risk it and know what to expect. Right now, Brunell is doing just enough for this team to stay competitive, eventually we will need a quarterback that will put points on the board and not just take time off the clock...in steps Campbell.

Archived