Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reasons for Optimism & this Sunday is NOT a Must-Win Game

skins fan1010

Timing is Everything (or, Tony Kornheiser Had a Premature Calculation)

http://countertrey.blogspot.com/2005/11/timing-is-everything-or-tony.html

Excerpts:

When the Redskins had five wins and three losses, Tony Kornheiser wrote a column for the Washington Post in which he said—somewhat tongue-in-cheek—that the Redskins would run the table in their last eight games. I thought he was kidding, but his comments on Sport Talk 980 confirmed that he wasn’t. Redskins’ fans would like to see their team earn a playoff spot, preferably by winning the division, but even now the Redskins do not have to run the table to accomplish that. This post will focus on the likely playoff outcome in the NFC.

The Redskins have lost their last two games and five of their last seven, and you would think from the message boards and pundits’ comments that they have been eliminated from the playoffs. That is pure nonsense. This is the NPL, the National Parity League...

...Last year it only took eight wins to earn a playoff spot in the NFC. This year it will take more, but the Redskins are already two games better than last year and this year’s five wins were earned against an excruciatingly difficult schedule and despite some of the worst luck in the league. Now, everywhere I turn, people are saying this Sunday’s game against the Chargers is a must-win game. That’s just more nonsense. I expect it to be close, but this is not a must-win game. The Chargers play in the AFC and cannot take a playoff spot from the Redskins...

...Could their schedule have been any more difficult than that? Whose schedule was worse? Out of ten games, the Redskins have played five against teams that are currently in first place in their division...

(a full analysis of the contenders' remaining schedules follows)

Other Reasons for Optimism

Is that it Counter Trey? Is that all you got, just that the schedule gets easier? Well, no, there is much more (including the Redskins get their defensive triplets on the field for the first time all year)...

Read the whole thing at: http://countertrey.blogspot.com/2005/11/timing-is-everything-or-tony.html

Great post, must read the link. However, I disagree with the fact that Sunday's game is not important. From a division standpoint, it isn't (b/c it is AFC). From a momentum and team morale standpoint it is. You cannot lose back-to-back home games and have the confidence to go on the road and win two road games. At least that's my:2cents: .

This hits it on the head, would be nice to beat SD, but with our last games all against divisional opponents it will realy come down to those 3 games, with bulger hurt and the cardinals not looking good, and the eagles all banged up the giants and cowboys game will decided our fate, in my opion anyway

what people fail to take into consideration is how a team is playing. Yes, a team can run off 4 or 5 victories in a row but usually there is a catalyst for that type of breakout, ie an injured player coming back healthy or a particularly poor loss that sticks in the craw of a veteran team that brings them together.

The Redskins don't seem to have any of these kinds of rallying cries. Most troubling, the team doesn't seem to have any defined and visible leaders who can break the chalkboard in the locker room to get the team's attention and help keep other players accountable.

That has been a problem here for several years. Who are the vocal leaders? Who are the players that others don't want to have to encounter on the bench or in the dressing room after having come up with boneheaded plays that cost the team victories?

I don't think there is that type of galvanizing figure on this team.

There is no Brett Favre. There is no Ray Lewis. Guys that kept their teams competitive for a number of years and who acted as the rallying point for their teammates.

It's a must win. They all are from now on. We don't want to have to rely on other teams losing to decide our fate. We still control our destiny. If we win out, we make the playoffs at 11-5.

If we lose, we might be able to get in at 10-6. In fact, we probably will because we will have a 10-2 NFC record and a 5-1 division record. In fact, I bet if you run the scenarios that is actually a guaranteed spot.

But why take that chance? They should treat the rest of the games as playoff games because they just might be.

this game is won up front.

Brunell and Portis are going to look as good as the offensive line allows them to.

ditto on defense.

right now, Walt Harris and Carlos Rogers are giving up plays down the field on man coverage in the blitz packages, so the DL has to start getting a rush with the 4 down linemen and perhaps just a linebacker on the dog.

yeah, I am amused by some of the posters on this board that think Portis is one our biggest problems :laugh:

the guy is on pace for a 1,300 yard season at a 4.5 ypc clip.

definitely dog meat, eh? :laugh:

meanwhile Chris Samuels is getting a $15 million bonus and LaVar Arrington is getting a $16 million bonus for doing what exactly? :)

Basically the writer is saying that we're going to run the table our last five games just because our head coach is Joe Freakin Gibbs. Well hallelujah!! I guess JG NEVER lost at Arizona during his first tenure and NEVER got beat by Bill Parcells at RFK.

Wow, in the future, I may as well just blow off the first six games of any season, since we're guaranteed to run the table the next 10!!!!

what people fail to take into consideration is how a team is playing. Yes, a team can run off 4 or 5 victories in a row but usually there is a catalyst for that type of breakout, ie an injured player coming back healthy or a particularly poor loss that sticks in the craw of a veteran team that brings them together.

The Redskins don't seem to have any of these kinds of rallying cries. Most troubling, the team doesn't seem to have any defined and visible leaders who can break the chalkboard in the locker room to get the team's attention and help keep other players accountable.

That has been a problem here for several years. Who are the vocal leaders? Who are the players that others don't want to have to encounter on the bench or in the dressing room after having come up with boneheaded plays that cost the team victories?

I don't think there is that type of galvanizing figure on this team.

There is no Brett Favre. There is no Ray Lewis. Guys that kept their teams competitive for a number of years and who acted as the rallying point for their teammates.

Man you are so right. Can't say anymore. :helmet:

Here's what I want:

7-6 going into the Dallas game. Then, that game would mean something. If we beat Dallas, we'd be 8-6 with two left-- and I would have taken that before the year.

Win two of the next three and least we keep hope alive when Dallas comes to town.

Here's what I want:

7-6 going into the Dallas game. Then, that game would mean something. If we beat Dallas, we'd be 8-6 with two left-- and I would have taken that before the year.

Win two of the next three and least we keep hope alive when Dallas comes to town.

Exactly.

I'd take 7-6 right now.

Kleese, I totally agree. 7-6 heading into the Boys game at least gives us hope of 10 wins, which is probably what's going to be needed to make the playoffs in the NFC. However, for as bad as people make the Rams and the Cards to be, I simply don't want to have to rely on us to win BOTH of those games. I'll be at the game Sunday, but I can tell you its going to be excruciatingly difficult to watch the two following away games.

BTW, please give an update on whether Union wins (I think they play tonight). I was in Tulsa early this week but had to come back to DC on short notice. I was surprised to see Jenks not in the playoffs!!

what amazes me is that people here write off a tough game like San Diego and then talk about running the table on the Cowboys and Giants as if those games are going to be any easier.

The Redskins beat Dallas by a hair in September and the Cowboys are a better team now than they were then. Are the Redskins a better team now?

The Giants only beat the Redskins 36-0 in their worst loss of the season. Tiki Barber had 206 yards rushing.

Now, what gives you the idea we are going to walk into those games after potentially getting flattened against the Chargers and be in 'good' position?

This is a team that just lost to the 3-6 friggin' Raiders and Norv Turner at home. And we are going to be in such good shape to win these games because they are at home? :rolleyes:

Archived