Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reasons for Optimism & this Sunday is NOT a Must-Win Game

skins fan1010

Basically the writer is saying that we're going to run the table our last five games just because our head coach is Joe Freakin Gibbs. Well hallelujah!! I guess JG NEVER lost at Arizona during his first tenure and NEVER got beat by Bill Parcells at RFK.

Wow, in the future, I may as well just blow off the first six games of any season, since we're guaranteed to run the table the next 10!!!!

Either you didn't read the post or you are not smart enough to understand it. I gave five well-reasoned arguments for why their record will improve in the next six games; Joe Gibbs late-season record was only one of them. You go on to say in a later post that you think they have a shot at 10-6. If you read my post you would have seen that I came to the same conclusion. Next time read before you write; listen before you speak.

well, both my eyes and ears are open and I don't think the Redskins are in very good shape to win 10 games. I don't see the Redskins as having a big advantage at home against the Cowboys or Giants based on how they are playing right now. The Skins couldn't protect the homefield against a Raider team that based on the standings is already out of playoff contention.

With a chance to stay with the division leaders, the team couldn't muster enough to beat a team playing out the string.

Don't count on this team beating Parcells in December when his club has something tangible to play for while the Redskins are still trying to figure out obscure tiebreaker scenarios.

Before I give this team any cred for pitching a home and home beat down of the Cowboys and Giants, I want to see the club meet and beat a hungry Chargers team.

well, both my eyes and ears are open and I don't think the Redskins are in very good shape to win 10 games. I don't see the Redskins as having a big advantage at home against the Cowboys or Giants based on how they are playing right now. The Skins couldn't protect the homefield against a Raider team that based on the standings is already out of playoff contention.

With a chance to stay with the division leaders, the team couldn't muster enough to beat a team playing out the string.

Don't count on this team beating Parcells in December when his club has something tangible to play for while the Redskins are still trying to figure out obscure tiebreaker scenarios.

Before I give this team any cred for pitching a home and home beat down of the Cowboys and Giants, I want to see the club meet and beat a hungry Chargers team.

I agree that they only put it all together in a couple of games this year. In their last two the offense played great against Tampa's number-one defense on the road, and against Oakland the defense played very well against a still pretty good offense. They just haven't put the good O and D on the field at the same time recently. But, I disagree that they haven't shown that they have what it takes.

They are 4-1 at home and all of their tough remaining games are at home. The same people who say the Skins don't belong in the hunt this year forget that they were in the hunt in the 14th game last year despite their sub 0.500 record. You put a veteran team that has shown flashes of brilliance in the playoffs and anything can happen; 10-6 almost certainly gets them in the playoffs and if you read the evidence I wrote in the blog you have to draw the conclusion that they have played the toughest schedule in the NFL so far. It gets a lot easier after Sunday.

Skinsfan1010, I apologize if I sounded too harsh in response to the article. As a diehard Skins fan for over 30 years, I'd be overjoyed if this team made the playoffs this year. However, there are just too many IFs in that article, including the mention of Gibbs' December record (which happened in a much different era) to get overly optimistic.

To think that this team will have much of a playoff chance if they lose to the Chargers on Sunday is grasping at straws. I just think injuries are hitting this team at key positions at the wrong time. I think the Raiders game reminded me of the home Eagles game in 2000, and I seriously hope that Sunday's game doesn't wind up reminding me of the Giants game, where the offense does absolutely nothing and Brunell winds up getting underservedly booed.

'veteran team that has shown flashes of brilliance'? :)

is that the Redskins?

most of the players on the Redskins are younger guys that have never been to a Super Bowl or to the playoffs.

I don't see this as a veteran team that has a strong sense of identity.

In fact that is part of the problem IMO.

I disagree on one issue. You are correct in saying the Chargers can't steal a playoff spot from us and that we have had run into some extremely poor luck. However, this game means a lot in terms of the teams confidence, and I feel, has strong implications on what the remainder of our season will turn out like. If we win, the team builds momentum for the upcoming games against "weaker opponents" (Cardinals, Rams) and instills confidence in the younger players, especially at reciever, filling in for our injured guys. If we lose, we are on a three game slide, under .500, and the hole may feel too big to climb out from.:helmet:

Hail2,

No problem. I sense that you are as frustrated as I am with them, but I haven't given up. I was trying to point out that the NFL is all about parity and the timing of when NFC East teams played their tough games has been a factor so far. As I said on the blog, half of the Skins' games so far have been against teams that are currently in first place.

Other positives. They have only had one blow out loss. They have shown signs of being very good. If they didn't have the worst turnover differential in the NFL they'd be coasting to the NFC East title right now. The fact that Griffin (supposedly healthy enough to play), Arrington and Taylor will be on the field at the same time for the first time this year could make the difference down the stretch.

As for Gibbs "losing it:" He got half of his wins last year after Nov 30 with a lesser team and against a tougher schedule than this year. A break here or there against Philly and Dallas and he could have been 5-0 down the stretch last year.

woulda, coulda.............

if they didn't have the worst turnover differential in the NFL..............

well, how do we know this problem is just going to resolve itself over the next 6 weeks when it hasn't shown any signs of abating in the past 10 games?

and for each of the close losses the club could also have lost to the Seahawks and/or Cowboys and been 3-7 instead of 5-5.

there's always two ways to look at everything.

I say this because at 5-3 and after beating the Eagles for the first time since 2001 I thought the Redskins WERE going to go to Tampa and seize the opportunity to get a jump on the division by winning the game and winning it by 7-10 points.

I disagree on one issue. You are correct in saying the Chargers can't steal a playoff spot from us and that we have had run into some extremely poor luck. However, this game means a lot in terms of the teams confidence, and I feel, has strong implications on what the remainder of our season will turn out like. If we win, the team builds momentum for the upcoming games against "weaker opponents" (Cardinals, Rams) and instills confidence in the younger players, especially at reciever, filling in for our injured guys. If we lose, we are on a three game slide, under .500, and the hole may feel too big to climb out from.:helmet:

I hear you about the momentum/confidence building thing. I often wondered whether professional players in the free-agent/salary cap era are affected by losses and wins as much as we might think. Some emotional wins early didn't carry over for them against Denver or KC, and a blow out loss to the Giants didn't hurt them against the Eagles (and the Eagles pre-McNabb's injury were still VERY good). I have come to the conclusion in the past ten years that momentum means something in amateur sports, but not in the pros.

The bottom line is they are good enough to beat the last five even if they don't win this Sunday, and if they win the last five they will be in the playoffs.

woulda, coulda.............

if they didn't have the worst turnover differential in the NFL..............

well, how do we know this problem is just going to resolve itself over the next 6 weeks when it hasn't shown any signs of abating in the past 10 games?

In one of my blog posts I do a statistical analysis of the Redskins fumble-recovery percentage. The theory is that once a footbal hits the ground it bounces randomly and there is not enough athletic difference between any two teams to expect anything other than apprroximately a 50% recovery rate.

In Redskins' games this year the ball has been fumbled about 40 times and the Redskins have only recovered nine. That is a statistical anomoly. In other words, it is bad luck. Regression towards the mean is a statistical concept that basically says unless there is a good reason to prevent it, things eventually move to the average, and as I said, the average fumble-recovery rate is 50%. That is not woulda, coulda, just the facts.

On your point that they were lucky to win some close games, they were exceptionally unlucky in three or four of their losses. It goes both ways, but it has gone against them more this year than for them.

Have to disagree, while I appreciate your enthousiasm, going 5-6 in the NFC east means you will not make the playoffs. Remember, we have a strong schedule ahead of us. This is a must game. This is the difference in having a chance for the playoffs, and watching them again without the Redskins in them. Sorry, just stating facts. The NFC has too many teams with a better record than us.

bulldog-- I'm simply saying from a FAN'S perspective that I want to be 7-6 headed into the Dallas game. Do I think we'd run the table from there? NO. But at least it would be interesting.

Hail2--

Union destroyed Broken Arrow and Mustang won a classic against Muskogee. Union-Mustang for the state title. Should be a blowout.

Archived