Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis is NOT a plowhorse.

DEFENSEGURU

I have heard it said that Clinton Portis is a RACEHORSE....NOT a plowhorse.

Why has Joe Gibbs taken a guy who was 200 pounds and would carry the ball 17 times a game for 110 yards...and turned him into PLOWHORSE who had to gain weight in order to PLOW into the line left...and PLOW into the line right.

Clinton Portis is NOT a plowhorse. He cannot take the punishment of plowing into the line. THATS why he got injured last year and missed the last 2 games.

THATS why he fumbles at a critical moment because he cannot take the punishment of PLOWING into the line over and over. He's a real trooper but he CANNOT do it.

If Gibbs wanted a plowhorse, he should have drafted Greg Jones last year because thats the kind of guy we need for GIBBS offense. He is wasting Clinton Portis and Portis' career is going to be a short one.

I don't think Gibbs went in to that decision without thinking about many MANY factors first. Anything from Clinton being a focused leader to a great utility player to the little things. Such things as bringing a friend of Sean Taylor's to the team, bringing some character and swagger to the team, having a very smart player that can communicate well with the coaches.

He is just a very good football player from top to bottom. I like him on this team, and I know Joe Gibbs thought this through beyond, "well he's not John Riggins' size, so forget him."

I don't think Gibbs went in to that decision without thinking about many MANY factors first. Anything from Clinton being a focused leader to a great utility player to the little things. Such things as bringing a friend of Sean Taylor's to the team, bringing some character and swagger to the team, having a very smart player that can communicate well with the coaches.

He is just a very good football player from top to bottom. I like him on this team, and I know Joe Gibbs thought this through beyond, "well he's not John Riggins' size, so forget him."

I'm with you on this one

Well its a rediculous line of thinging to say "oh he's not John Riggins, but I think I'll make him do the SAME things anyway". That stupid.

Thats like drafting an offensive lineman, and saying "oh, I know he's not Mark Mosely, but I'm going to make him kick anyway". Thats stupid.

One reason Gibbs is not winning so far in the NFL is that he is stubborn. He refuses to accept what people are good at. He thinks he has a system and folks are just going to fit into that system, regardless of their talents. How do I know this. Well, for one thats what he is doing with Portis.

You can follow Gibbs into hell if it so pleases you, and you can believe what you want, but I am hear to tell you that Portis will not last 6 years in the NFL at the current pace. Gale Sayers was injured from OVERUSE...and Portis has already shown that he will break down from overuse.

Well its a rediculous line of thinging to say "oh he's not John Riggins, but I think I'll make him do the SAME things anyway". That stupid.

Thats like drafting an offensive lineman, and saying "oh, I know he's not Mark Mosely, but I'm going to make him kick anyway". Thats stupid.

One reason Gibbs is not winning so far in the NFL is that he is stubborn. He refuses to accept what people are good at. He thinks he has a system and folks are just going to fit into that system, regardless of their talents. How do I know this. Well, for one thats what he is doing with Portis.

You can follow Gibbs into hell if it so pleases you, and you can believe what you want, but I am hear to tell you that Portis will not last 6 years in the NFL at the current pace. Gale Sayers was injured from OVERUSE...and Portis has already shown that he will break down from overuse.

But, tell us how you really feel.

Instead of dressing up like a moron every Wed. and making a joke and mockery of losing a football game you should sit in the film room and study the opposing D or go out on the practise field and learn how to hold onto the dam football.

This team is nothing more then frustrating... I can't see how one you go out score 35 points and lose and then bounce back give up only 16 and lose again, at lease we know one thing for sure this team is consistanly inconsistant.

And if anybody calls me a fairweather fan or not a true fan you can go shove it because iv'e shed tears over this f'in team :doh: :doh: :doh:

Instead of dressing up like a moron every Wed. and making a joke and mockery of losing a football game you should sit in the film room and study the opposing D or go out on the practise field and learn how to hold onto the dam football.

This team is nothing more then frustrating... I can't see how one you go out score 35 points and lose and then bounce back give up only 16 and lose again, at lease we know one thing for sure this team is consistanly inconsistant.

And if anybody calls me a fairweather fan or not a true fan you can go shove it because iv'e shed tears over this f'in team :doh: :doh: :doh:

AMEN! AMEN! AND AMEN! I had a whole bunch of posters rebuke me when I said the exact same thing, saying that "he just wants to have fun. Lighten up." Well, I hope he learned something about acting like a clown every week when it's time to practice. Thank you, Shant!

I wouldnt give him the rock that much. He's not built like a big 200. Emmitt Smith was alot "bigger" than he was listed. I would get Cartwright 3-5 carries or so. Betts around 10. And about 15-20 to Portis. that adds up to about 30 or so runs a game, right where you wanna be.

well stated :applause: .. I'd also like 2 see a split back backfield including Betts & Portis.. I can't believe the coaches haven't put in a "package" :laugh: to accomodate both men on the field @ the same time .

Once again, Portis had success at Miami and then at Denver with a 2 back set where he could choose his lane behind a fullback. How about flares and curls under the defense that puts him out in the open field and make use of his speed. The stretch plays and counter traps that allow him to go outside the tackles seems to work but then we abandon those plays. I'm perplexed with the lack of talent recognition as the rest of us.

Sure, let's all blame Portis because he has one bad game. GOSH!

I personaly can't blame the D, if you give up only 16 pts you should win the football game, regardless!!!

The problem is that our Offense is Deffensive and they stop themselves and your crazy if think the 2 fumbles lost by PORTIS was not one of the reasons why the O sucked and why we lost this game.

Get a grip people. It's extremely convenient for you all to rip Portis apart this week because of the two fumbles. If he'd gone out and run for 150 and 2 TDs none of us would have to read this nonsense. Portis is not the problem!!! Bottom line...

yah, but he didnt.

if he had, the skins would have won, no questions.

now, he's not the only one to blame. the O line was pretty crappy. and our WR's didnt seem to get open from what i could see. but the D gave up 16 total points, and the O got shut out the second half. portis fumbles contributed in a big way to this loss.

bottom line, if youre going to put yourself out there, you better bring it on sunday. portis didnt this week.

I like Portis as a back.... but I believe he needs to continue learning the Gibbs offense and concentrate on being more patient. He seems to be uncomfortable waiting for the O-line in front of him to engage their men before finding the available crease. He tends to be impatient..... and decides prematurely to hit a hole when if he had waited another second he could have had a crease that would have gotten him to the 2nd level and potentially off to the races.

The fumbles were maddening.... but someone pointed out that those are the first two he's lost all year. However, I'm a bit concerned that he fumbles a fair amount of the time and had been fortunate to get a few back.

AMEN! AMEN! AND AMEN! I had a whole bunch of posters rebuke me when I said the exact same thing, saying that "he just wants to have fun. Lighten up." Well, I hope he learned something about acting like a clown every week when it's time to practice. Thank you, Shant!

If you guys would listen to Coach Gibbs you would know that CP, is one of the few guys who rarely misses practice.Fumbles are a part of the game , they happen Go Ahead Bless him out for trying to get an xtra yard & make a play.I'll take CP all day he is one of the few guys we have with Heart. The problem is pressure you cant cover these guys all day you have to have pressure on the QB....bottom line.

Archived