Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP.How much do we miss Antonio Pierce

Dccat

The biggest problem our defense has had this year is missing tackles when the opportunity to make the tackle arises. In the first 2.5 games, our tackling was crisp and I could count the number of bad tackles on one hand without using my thumb! Since that long run by Alexander in the second half of the Seahawks game, we seem to miss a minimum of 3 or 4 tackles per game and even of those we get, many are wimpy tackles that just get the guy to the ground (against TB, we only had a handfulof sharp tackles).

All defenses WILL get burned at least once a game, no matter how good that defense is. Last year when our defense got burned or made mistakes, the opposing offense could not take advantage of it, this year opposing offenses are taking advantage.

Antonio Pierce ....who??? If he's not a Skin....don't care.

Hope is has a great career.

It's not like he didn't want to be a Skin. He's made that very clear,he even Kept his home in the area. That's just 1 we missed. And it has already cost us one game, hopefully it wont be two.

Last year Smoot was one of the most consistent players on our team. This year he is much worse off for whatever reasons.

Steve Smith burns everyone!!!!

Lemar Marshall is really good at coverage. and by teh TE beating him over the middle a couple of weeks ago, you are probably thinking of Tony Gonzalez. If you remember corectly he stole a pass away from him also, but was called Def pass interference(a BS call btw).

Cornilius(sp) makes our entire defense better as does Sean Taylor.

Obviously you don't watch the entire game. He's been burnt in coverage several times,especially in the redzone. It was the same thing lastyear against San Fran & Green bay.If he was called for a pass Interference then the INT doesn't count Bad call or not. We can cry about bad calls all year, We should Know by now that we can't leave it up to the Zebra's.

Harris has had 2 bad games true, but he was great a Dallas, and has been decent until recently. Smoot's been getting killed all year. See Steve Smith.

So what? Smith is killing everybody.

Smoot is still better than Walt Harris. It would've been his second year as a starter in Williams system and every year since his rookie year Smoot has snagged 4 or more interceptions as well as a number of pass deflections. He's having a bad year in Minny, again, so what?

Aside from last week, Minny's entire defense has failed to live up to its potential, Smoot included.

My only hope is for Rogers to really step up his game and overtake Harris as the starter. Harris cannot cover deep consistently. In Harris' defense, he did not have Sean Taylor playing FS and helping him out over the top. Even so, criticism of Harris' play as inconsistent is legitimate.

The consensus on the board from memory was that we could afford to lose Smoot because we didn't need to pay two CBs top dollar and on performance Springs was totally outplaying Smoot. I agreed with that then and still do.

We made the smart move (in my opinion) in taking Rogers in the draft, leaving us Harris to hold up one end as Rogers learnt, eventually swapping him back to the nickel position he is so good in.

Rogers injury plus the awful pass rush (which seems worse than last year if that is possible) has meant greater pressure on Harris. I don't watch the Vikings but the feeling seems to be that Smoot has had a bad year with them.

In summary you aren't comparing apples with apples to compare Harris to Smoot but I still think we made the right decision and are still better off without Whatchamacallit.

As for Pierce I don't understand the nuances of the MLB position to comment!!

This is the biggest mistake I've seen on the board this year. Marshall is better than Pierce. The only reason I can see for disagreeing is that Marshall doesn't pat the lineman on the ass and get them to move every down. Pierce had 1 sack last year, and 2 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, and 2 interceptions. Marshall in 9 games has 2 sacks, 3 stuffs and 1 interception.

Are you seriously basing your opinion that Marshall is better than Pierce only on these statistics? In that case, you must have thought Trotter was playing at a probowl level in Washington. Stats for defensive players can too easily be used to misrepresent the quality of play.

I'm basing it on those stats which signify big plays, I'm not using tackles. What exactly can you say that Pierce does better than Marshall? The only thing he did better was draw more attention to himself during the play by acting like the Peyton Manning of linebackers.

EDIT: I should add that Pierce did a good job last year, I'm not calling him a bad player. I'm just saying that Marshall has been at least as good if not better.

Even if you think Pierce is better, he's not that much better. :)

That's really the point on both guys. Are they THAT much better than what we replaced them with? I don't think so. Yes, we probably took a step down, but it allowed us to improve on other parts of the team (including addition by subtraction with Coles.)

If Pierce really wanted to be here, he'd be here, period. He instead took the money. I don't blame him for this, but let's be real about why he left.

Jason

I'll end my arguement with this:

Lemar Marshall resigned this summer 3 years, 2 million dollar contract.

Antonio Pierce 6 years, 26 milllion, 6.5 million signing bonus.

Even if you think Pierce is better, he's not that much better. :)

You make a good point, and I'd agree if he was going to any team out of our division.

It's likely our cap restraints made it impossible to resign him, but the question was... how much do we miss Antonio and the answer is...lots.

Of all the players that are gone from last year's team I will admit that AP is by far the most notable absence. He was like the D-coordinator on the field. Im not saying we would be 10-0 w/him but I think he has been missed. Coles, Smoot, Gardner....etc.....those were great decisions on not keeping them. We make some good decisions and some bad (every team does).....I think that if AP is the only bad decsion w/the changes that were made then we cant complain. Lets see how the Giants finish the season and how their defense ends up w/4 remaining divisional games and some tough out of division games remaining. I think AP and Strahan make everyone better.

I agree on Pierce but I think Smoot gets an unfair rap. Walt Harris has been a definite downgrade in tackling and especially in coverage. Having Springs and Smoot on the outside last year was a huge reason why we were so good. We have to blitz a lot less this year and we can't bring man blitzes and expect our corners to hold up like they did last year. Also, Smoot brought an incredible energy, ****iness and toughness to the D. He sacrificed his body and was a good tackler, played hurt, and was confident enough in his abilities to play agressive and take chances. It's funny, last year and before Smoot was one of the most popular guys with fans and teammates but the fans seem to think he jipped us when he left. Remember, if we still had Smoot and AP we probably couldn't have taken the cap hit for the Coles for Moss trade.

maybe alittle, but marshall is not the problem with the d.the d line is. everything starts with the line. and our ends get NO push and the big runs have been of the end.heck urlacher had his best year with ted washington and keith tralor in front of him beteen those guys no one could get to urlacher.we don't have that here so the backers are getting guards in their face.thats why i prefer bubba's (330pds) for the dt postion.though i admit that griffen is a monster.

You are right on the money. We need a beast up front. We need a Tommie Harris type of player, some one that can control the line of scrimage. That guy is dominating the line of scrimage, he is the reason why Urlacher is playing so well. In the draft our first draft pick needs to be the best defense tackle available.

This is the biggest mistake I've seen on the board this year. Marshall is better than Pierce. The only reason I can see for disagreeing is that Marshall doesn't pat the lineman on the ass and get them to move every down. Pierce had 1 sack last year, and 2 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, and 2 interceptions. Marshall in 9 games has 2 sacks, 3 stuffs and 1 interception.

As for the pass coverage, we are the 5th best team in the league covering tight ends. And in case you've forgotten we've played against Witten, Gonzalez, Shockey, LJ Smith already this year.

In terms of player switch offs, we've been better off with Moss over Coles, slightly better with Marshall over Pierce and worse off with Harris over Smoot

I agree with you that marshall is better All peirce did was raque up alot of tackles

this much l--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l

Archived