Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Playoff Picture -- How it Looks Right Now (Merged x 2)

SeanTaylorsDefense

Well, I'm scrambling to find something to hold on to for hope, so I've been examining the schedules and records and this is what I come up with;

Remaining Schedules:

Eagles (4-4)

Dallas - WIN

@ NY Giants - LOSS

Green Bay - WIN

Seattle - LOSS

Giants - WIN

@ St. Louis - WIN

@ Arizona - WIN

Washington - ?

Eagles should finish (10-6) to (9-7) depending on Washington game.

Giants (6-3)

Philadelphia - WIN

@ Seattle - LOSS

Dallas - WIN

@ Philadelphia - LOSS

Kansas City - LOSS

@ Washington - ?

@ Oakland - WIN

Giants should finish (10-6) to (9-7) depending on Washington game.

Cowboys (5-3) (7-9)

@ Philadelphia - LOSS

Detroit - WIN

Denver - LOSS

@ NY Giants - LOSS

Kansas City - LOSS

@ Washington - ?

@ Carolina - LOSS

St. Louis - WIN

Cowboys should finish (8-8) to (7-9) depending on Washington game.

Redskins (5-4)

Oakland

San Diego

@ St. Louis

@ Arizona

Dallas

NY Giants

@ Philadelphia

Yes, I know it's pretty much impossible to pick who's going to win what games the rest of the way out, but this should give a general idea. If Redskins win the 3 division games, then they need to win only 1 of the 4 upcoming games to win the division. If Redskins win 2 of the division games, then it will most likely call for 3 of these next 4 games in the win column to win the division.

I think its safe to say, this is going to come down to the final 3 division games.

I know it's hard right now but keep the faith people.

:chestram:

Who's going to take the role of...

mora_7116.jpg??

I agree except for the following:

I think the Eagles will beat Seattle at Eagles. And I think they'll beat the Redskins too. I think they'll finish 11-5.

I think the Giant will beat Kansas City at Giants. I think they'll lose to the Redskins. I think they'll finish 11-5.

I think Dallas will finish 9-7 and be out of the running. Yeah they'll lose Dec 18th.

I think the Redskins will finish 11-5.

I think the Seahawks and Panthers will both finish 12-4 and get the bye.

I think Chicago will win their division.

That leaves 3 NFC east teams tied at 11-5. One wins the division, two get wild cards.

I think Eagles will get the division, due to best record among common opponents (Chargers, Denver, SF, Seattle, KC, Oakland).

Redskins will get the 5th seed due to better NFC record.

Redskins travel to Chicago, and win the wild card playoff.

After that, it may get ugly.

I agree except for the following:

I think the Eagles will beat Seattle at Eagles. And I think they'll beat the Redskins too. I think they'll finish 11-5.

I think the Giant will beat Kansas City at Giants. I think they'll lose to the Redskins. I think they'll finish 11-5.

I think Dallas will finish 9-7 and be out of the running. Yeah they'll lose Dec 18th.

I think the Redskins will finish 11-5.

I think the Seahawks and Panthers will both finish 12-4 and get the bye.

I think Chicago will win their division.

That leaves 3 NFC east teams tied at 11-5. One wins the division, two get wild cards.

I think Eagles will get the division, due to best record among common opponents (Chargers, Denver, SF, Seattle, KC, Oakland).

Redskins will get the 5th seed due to better NFC record.

Redskins travel to Chicago, and win the wild card playoff.

After that, it may get ugly.

interesting stuff, but i think in tiebreaker it goes to divisional record first, which is likely to be somewhat different because i think we are the only team right now with a divisional road win... which gives us help, and on top of that, where is atlanta in your predictions? do you think they're just gonna fall off? and what about tampa bay? I think they'll fall off, im just curious to what you thought.

interesting stuff, but i think in tiebreaker it goes to divisional record first, which is likely to be somewhat different because i think we are the only team right now with a divisional road win... which gives us help, and on top of that, where is atlanta in your predictions? do you think they're just gonna fall off? and what about tampa bay? I think they'll fall off, im just curious to what you thought.

Wow, you're absolutely right! If all three nfc teams tie at 11-5, Redskins will most likely take the division because of the better divisional record. I was thinking they were tied divisionally, but I didn't take into the account the Dallas game, because I assumed they were out. But they still count regarding divisional win percentage. D'oh! My bad. So then we'd get a playoff game at home! Yeah baby, that's what I want!

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

I got Atlanta at 10-6 because I've got them losing to Carolina, Chicago, and Tampa Bay on the road, and with Carolina at 12-4 and three NFC East teams at 11-5, Atlanta's out.

I got Tampa Bay at 10-6 too, because they have Atlanta, Carolina, and New England on the road. So they're out for the same reason Atlanta's out.

The cool thing about the Redskins is they have only three road games left, and they should win at least two of those. And if they can stay undefeated at home, there's your eleven wins for the season.

Of course, it won't end up exactly this way, but it's fun to predict.

Wow, you're absolutely right! If all three nfc teams tie at 11-5, Redskins will most likely take the division because of the better divisional record. I was thinking they were tied divisionally, but I didn't take into the account the Dallas game, because I assumed they were out. But they still count regarding divisional win percentage. D'oh! My bad. So then we'd get a playoff game at home! Yeah baby, that's what I want!

I got Atlanta at 10-6 because I've got them losing to Carolina, Chicago, and Tampa Bay on the road, and with Carolina at 12-4 and three NFC East teams at 11-5, Atlanta's out.

I got Tampa Bay at 10-6 too, because they have Atlanta, Carolina, and New England on the road. So they're out for the same reason Atlanta's out.

The cool thing about the Redskins is they have only three road games left, and they should win at least two of those. And if they can stay undefeated at home, there's your eleven wins for the season.

If Atlanta and Tampa Bay, both get to 10 wins (which is exceedingly possible), the Redskins are can only afford one loss the rest of the year.

I just haven't seen enough to think that this team has a six and one spurt in them. That's asking for an awful lot, particularly with three brutal divisional games to end the year.

We cannot even win a road game...if we get the 5th seed what good will that do us since we'll probably be on the road?

Very true but we first have to make the playoffs before we can worry about winning championships. We haven't made the playoffs since 1999, and it would be a big step for this franchise to do so. I would be fully content with this season with a playoff berth.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold
Very true but we first have to make the playoffs before we can worry about winning championships. We haven't made the playoffs since 1999, and it would be a big step for this franchise to do so. I would be fully content with this season with a playoff berth.

completely agree.....bill murray once said...

"baby steps, baby steps"

I had us being 8-5 heading into the final three weeks, but with the Bucs loss that very much looks like a stretch now. If we can somehow manage to get back on track by going 3-1 over the next four games we're in damn good shape. Personally though, I don't see it happening.

As I said, the Redskins are UNDEFEATED at home. Who are we going to lose to at FedEx? We will beat both the Cowboys and the Giants for the same reason: we're at home.

Also, the Redskins have only 3 road games left, two of which include Rams and Cardinals. Those are wins baby. So that's six wins coming. 11 wins for the season, with a road game at Philly to finish things up.

I can see the skins' finishing 10-6. Dallas and Philly will finish 9-7. And the Giants will finish 10-6. The only teams that I can see actually Locking up a playoff spot right now is Seattle and Carolina. Without Griese, I don't see Tampa Bay winning many more games.

You're probably right in reality, because the Redskins will probably stumble once. But I'll take a tie with the Giants. That means we should get the division.

Wait you are talking playoffs, aren't you afraid that the refs will just screw you out of the playoffs, I mean every time you lose the refs have a hand in it. You lost yesterday making Chris Simms look like Joe Freaking Montana, and then blame losing on a call the refs got right.

Little info here boys replay can only overturn a call with indisputable evidence; in no replay was there indisputable evidence that you stopped Alstott so the play stood... And you were offsides on the PAT...

Your team will be lucky to finish .500

Wait you are talking playoffs, aren't you afraid that the refs will just screw you out of the playoffs, I mean every time you lose the refs have a hand in it. You lost yesterday making Chris Simms look like Joe Freaking Montana, and then blame losing on a call the refs got right.

Little info here boys replay can only overturn a call with indisputable evidence; in no replay was there indisputable evidence that you stopped Alstott so the play stood... And you were offsides on the PAT...

That's funny. But seriously, the Cowboys, with the great Bill Parcells, is going to finish at the bottom of the division. That's a fact, and you know it. So deal with it.

Enjoy your day.

Wait. Wait....oh yeah you all lost to us in dallas when you made mark brunell look like joe montana. beat us and then talk ****.

Wow. I'd love to see 11-5, but that just does not seem realistic, no matter how much I love my 'Skins. But the key here is that we still have a leg up in being the only team in the East with a Divisional road win. That is key. If we have a better divisional record, our chances are very, very, very good. Let's just hope for keeping that better divisional record.

Okay...so right now the standings look like this:

Team overall (division, conference)

NFC East

Dallas 6-3 (3-1, 5-2)

NYG 6-3 (1-1, 5-2)

Wash 5-4 (2-1, 5-2)

Philly 4-5 (0-3, 1-4)

NFC North

Chicago 6-3 (3-0, 5-1)

Detroit 4-5 (1-3, 2-5)

Minn 4-5 (2-1, 4-4)

GB 2-7 (0-2, 2-4)

NFC West

Seattle 7-2 (4-0, 6-1)

STL 4-5 (1-3, 2-4)

AZ 2-7 (1-3, 1-7)

SF 2-7 (1-1, 2-6)

NFC South

Carolina 7-2 (1-1, 5-1)

ATL 6-3 (1-0, 3-2)

TB 6-3 (0-1, 4-2)

NO 2-7 (1-1, 1-6)

The way I see it, the only division up for grabs is the East....it seems like Chicago, Seattle and Carolina are clearly the best teams in their divisions. In the South is where our main competition for wild-card spots will come from (if we do not take the division and are fighting for a spot), from Tampa and Atlanta. The "loss" to Tampa could prove to be huge. However, I believe Atlanta and Carolina are going to help us out. They've only played Carolina once, and got shelacked, and that was at home. I believe they'll get stomped again when they go to Carolina. And you have to believe the Falcons will take at least one game. So that puts Tampa at 7-5 and Atlanta at 7-4. Okay, so lets look at both teams:

Tampa

Remaining Schedule: @Atlanta, Chicago, @NO, @Carolina, @NE, Atlanta, NO

I think its highly likely that they split with Atlanta, lose to Carolina like I said before. Chicago at home is a tough call, and could go either way. If Thomas Jones is healthy, I like da bears in that game. If he isn't healthy, well...I still like the Bears. I think their defense will get pressure on Simms, the key to beating him. Tampa will probably sweep New Orleans, because they are terrible. Going in to New England in mid December?? I think its Tampa who has that stat that they've never won a game below a certain temperature or something like that....well its going to be COLD in New England. The Pats might be reeling right now, but I don't think they lose to a young QB at home. So in their remaining 7, I see Tampa going 3-4, leaving them at 9-7.

Atlanta

Remaining Schedule: Tampa Bay, @Detroit, @Carolina, NO, @Chicago, @Tampa, Carolina.

Playing the averages and assuming Atlanta splits their remaining division games, 1-1 with Tampa and Carolina, I'd say they will lose in Chicago and win in Detroit. They will also go into New Orleans and win. So I believe they will go 4-3 down the stretch, leaving them at 10-6.

St. Louis may threaten, but we have a chance to go in to their house and punch them in the mouth. I think that game is a must win in terms of wild-card tie breakers. St. Louis has a pretty easy schedule remaining, playing Arizona, Houston, Minnesota and San Fran. They also play the Eagles, Cowturds and us. I see them finishing around 9-7, most likely 8-8.

So, I believe Atlanta will take one of the wild-card spots for sure, or Carolina (if Atlanta somehow wins the division). So essentially that leaves 4 teams fighting for two spots; Us, Dallas, New York and Tampa. The very excellent news is that we control our own destiny. The division is still firmly within our grasp with 3 remaining division games and two road games against patsies.

Our Remaining Schedule: Oakland, San Diego, @St. Louis, @Arizona, Dallas, New York, Philly. It could play out in many different ways, and this will most certainly be an exciting race to the finish!! Here's looking forward to some excellent football!!!

EDIT: I forgot to add some of the analysis I did. If Atlanta finishes the way I predict, they will have a conference record of 7-5. We're already sitting at 5-2 conference record. So, if we finish with a 10-6 record as well, meaning we'd have to go 5-2 down the stretch, as long as we beat 3 NFC teams along the way (with Arizona, St. Louis, Dallas and NY at home, and a reeling Philly team, I don't think that is highly unlikely) we'll beat them in a tie-breaker for a wild-card spot.

Of course this all hinges on the NFC East and how that division does. If the GMen fade like I think they will (see their performance against Minny), it will be a two-horse race between us and Dallas, the way it should be. There will be no bigger game this year than the Monday nighter in Dallas and the home game on the 18th of December. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

:dallasuck :dallasuck :wewantd: :wewantd:

Archived