Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

the officials "we will not make the playoffs" thread

RWJ

People say we don't deserve to win because of turnovers and our defense. Did Tampa Bay deserve to win? They had the #1 ranked defense and we moved the ball all over them today. Yes we could have won on this play or that play, but so could have Tampa. Once again, we were the better team and got a ****ty break at the end of the game. We were probably more than a point better... but we definitely were AT LEAST a point better. I dont get how people can say it wasnt won or lost on one play. YES IT WAS! At that point, the Skins and the Bucs deserved the score to be 35-34. The skins deserved to stop Alstott short, and they did. Somehow, it got reviewed, and even though it was clear as day he was short, it was not overturned. They were screwed again by poor officiating. It is unfortunate, because at the end of the season, this is likely to be the one that kills us.... cause its likely we end up in a tiebreaker with tampa for a wild card and they have the advantage, or will end up in a tie with a division opponent and they have a better NFC record. Bottom line, we SHOULD have won the game, and the refs blew it unfairly. It would be nice if we were on the good end of one of those calls ever.

It's a long season and the outcome is very much undecided at this point. Let's just tune in next Sunday and continue to hope for the best. What matters most at this point is how we finish out the season. I see things like this:

Oakland W

San Diego L

@ St. Louis L

@ AZ W

Dallas W

NY Giants W

Philly L

We finish 10-6 and backdoor a Wildcard birth.

That looks reasonable, except your math is wrong. :doh:

Consider this the year we finally rebuild a quality team, but we won't really see the dividends until next year. We're moving forward in all facets, but still have several major weaknesses that are keeping us from being able to consistently show up on O, D and ST week in and week out. Draft a bunch of young O and D lineman, see if Taylor Jacobs can ever be a player for us or find another viable starting receiver, and keep the rest of the team intact and we will have the kind of year next year that once seemed possible this year. The dumb mistakes and carelessness with the ball that will probably keep us out of the playoffs this year will be less frequent as all of these players continue to mesh. The better teams in the league have had their core together longer than we have, and it shows.

I'll also point out what I posted about a week ago.

If we win at home, and we beat the teams with losing records, then we finish 10-6, and 4-2 in our division.

This game was neither. (In my scenario, this game was marked as a loss.)

Now when I posted that scenario, I also mentioned that there are a couple of home games on our schedule that aren't exactly guaranteed, and I pointed out that there were also some road games against non-losers that were possible pickups.

I viewed this game as a game where, if we win, then it gives us some protection in case we should lose at home.

I might've even said that this was a game that we should have won.

But there's no way it was a game we had to win.

I disagree - obviously not mathematically - but I think it WAS a must win. Short of winning the division, we'll likely need 10 wins just to get a wildcard berth. That likely means we need all 4 home wins (not impossible, but hardly a gimme with the Chargers, Giants, and Dallas - all of whom will be playing for something- on the slate), and be able to pick off either the Cardinals, Rams, or Eagles on the road (the Cardinals game being the only one we should outright win). Honestly, theres no one more hopeful than I am, but theres no evidence right now we're capable of climbing that mountain.

Todays loss was huge, on a number of fronts.

I'm not ruling out the dream - of course we 'could' turn it on, take off and start playing inspired mistake-free football - but I'm saying, in the absence of that theres a good chance we just bounced ourselves out of the playoff hunt today.

The truth hurts.

Consider this the year we finally rebuild a quality team, but we won't really see the dividends until next year. We're moving forward in all facets, but still have several major weaknesses that are keeping us from being able to consistently show up on O, D and ST week in and week out. Draft a bunch of young O and D lineman, see if Taylor Jacobs can ever be a player for us or find another viable starting receiver, and keep the rest of the team intact and we will have the kind of year next year that once seemed possible this year. The dumb mistakes and carelessness with the ball that will probably keep us out of the playoffs this year will be less frequent as all of these players continue to mesh. The better teams in the league have had their core together longer than we have, and it shows.

Let's just say that I'm looking forward to next year, but I'm sadly not looking forward to next week.

I'm just as mad as everyone else is but don't give up on us yet we still have a great chance to make the playoffs there really is no strong team in the nfc every team is having ups and downs the only consistent team so far is the panthers, we can still win our division so its not over yet!

']If you look at what happened today' date=' I don't think anything is over. The Giants lost at home to the Vikings. The Falcons lost at home to the injury riddled Packers. Nothing is over in the NFC. The only sure thing it seems are the Carolina Panthers. Everything else is wide open.[/quote']

There are few things, Tom, that can be more sobering to real thought, than to pull yourself out of the subjectivity of your own team's misfortunes and really take a look at this year in the league. I think they call that stuff "context" and "perspective" :silly: . I hate that stuff. :laugh:

The Skins can play with any team and lose to any team. Problem is, they find ways to lose on the road. Playoff teams find ways to steal road games. I'd have to agree with you. The Skins are improved from last year, but they are not playoff caliber. If they had a stud DE it may be different...oh well...

I think much the same, with plenty of willingness to be shown that we're better than I thought we would be, which has been my almost-constant feeling since Dallas. But what a rocky ride so far.

One thing this loss certinaly solidified was the importance of ST and Corny to our defense...if Griffin is in there, NO WAY Allstot gets in for the 2-point conversion. Also, you have to think if ST is in there they don't get at least a couple of their big pass-plays...

Injuries suck big hairy balls...

Archived