Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reed vs Taylor- when will Sean break out?

Monk in the Hall!

I am as enamored with the physical skills of ST as anyone one the board. I am just wondering though- when do folks think Sean start to breakout consistently and become a gamebraker? I keep expecting Sean to transform into Ed Reed circa last season. Making sacks on big 3rd downs, picking off passes for TDs, and becoming "the man"? Is the Ed Reed comparison unfair? Ed did not have big jail time staring him in the face. One more thing, was Reed in his 3rd or 4th year last year.

I think both our safties are beggining to become playmakers...After that first pick by Ryan Clark they probably just seem to get easier after that. I can see Ryan Consistently getting 3 or 4 througout his career from here on out. Especially with ST on the other side. He will get more attention.

He'd be much more of a playmaker if we were able to put pressure on the QB with a four man front

well we'd have a four man front if they were healthy (specifically griffin) but ya he's getting there and clark is coming into his own as well...taylor has the raw talent, skills, and anticipation to be the best at his position in the league eventually and that may be sooner than later but his biggest problem right now is that he knows he hits as hard as anyone in the league and consequenty is alwasy goin for the knockout punch which sometimes causes him to overrun and miss tackles he needs to bide his time and make the good plays and find out when to open up the can...he'll get there guys dont worry :cheers:

I am probably going to get lambasted for this, but oh well. I think that Taylor is slightly overrated this year, thus far at least. I hear more hype and credit to him than I have heard of a Redskin player in some time, but it seems like all season he has made one or two bad plays a game that lead to big gains for the offense. I figure his exceptional play his rookie season built the hype around the league for him to be the next Ronnie Lott, and maybe this is just somewhat of a sophmore slump, but I have seen him make a lot of bad plays this year.

Now before everyone goes nuts, I think Taylor will be a star in the NFL, but I just don't think he is anywhere close to that yet. He still has to learn when he needs to wrap up and when he needs to go for the knockout blow, because right now it seems like all he knows is the killshot. He also needs to work on his pursuit angles and not biting on fakes/play action. Once he masters these things, the next Ronnie Lott will have arrived.

Sean Taylors flaws you see now are the same 1's in had in college. He is over aggressive and misses some tackles because of it and he is prone to a late hit penalty..

ST was a college star because of the INTS and more then anything his rare size drew major attention. He was allowed to play deep center all game. Here he has to cover Wr's for our blitzers and is normally left on 1 side or the other. I made a post about him not being used to the best of his ability a few weeks back. He needs to play back deep where he can make game changing ints. Adding a legit passrush should help out though but he's still got to be able to play without much responsibility back deep.

I love ST but he will never be has good has Ed Reed. Reed is a rare breed who lives in the film room and has unbelievable instincts the Ravens stole him in that draft I wanted him on the skins so bad..Reed was a better player in college in my opionion has well but teams did'nt draft safetys that high after recent bust years beforehand. ST really got drafted so high because of his freak size at the safety postion.

no one tries to take shots on taylor in the passing game.

i read when reed was DPOY he made a lot of big plays, but he also lead the league on big passes thrown and completed on him.

I don't know what your reading but I watch the Ravens and thier my 2nd favorite team because thier local. Ed Reed is about has lockdown has they come and does'nt make mental mistakes.

ST is without a doubt overrated on this board. If he becomes has good has Dawkins has been in Philly the last 5 years, I'll be estactic..

Sean Taylor is Lavar Arrington. You see one you see the other.

Lavar will never be Laurence Taylor and Sean will never be Ed Reed. They are so gifted physically that they seem to both rely on that to get where they are. That doesn't mean they are as smart as the other 2 players.

Some people are just playmakers. Laurence Taylor was a playmaker and Ed Reed is one. Our boys are just very good football players....with a bit of sizzle.

If either Lavar or Sean had been drafted in the 3rd round...right now they would be considered a steal. As it is many consider them to disappointing.

As others have said, nobody is throwing in Taylor's direction this year. That, to me, is the clearest sign that he is very well respected around the league. He may not be getting very much attention from the media this year, but I guarantee opponents give him plenty of attention during the week when game planning and watching film. They see how well he can cover. (He has successfully covered Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and Chad Johnson one one one.) They see how quickly he can make up ground and close in. They can see how hard he hits. And, despite what I've read here, they can see that he is a good tackler. Yes, he's missed some tackles. Who hasn't? When he gets his hands on you, you are usually going down. Most of his missed tackles are when he doesn't even get a hand on someone. Yes, he's been out of position a few times and they've been beat deep. Who hasn't? News flash, even Darrell Green was beat deep a time or two. It's a tough position to cover an NFL receiver. The WR is going to win a few of those matchups.

Sean Taylor is on his way to being one of the top three safeties and top 10 defensive players over the next 10 years. Then again, he's my favorite current player, so I could be a bit biased.

First of all, you guys that are saying Sean is over rated is sick. All of a sudden a guy who doesnt get many picks because the team wont throw it near him makes him over rated? The main reason for the lack of picks is because we have no kind of pass rush from the d-line. None whatsoever. The only time we can get a little pressure is if we blitz. And it seems like the only time we get a chance to actually sack a qb is if we send about 8 people at a time. Drafting a D-lineman or signing one is a MUST next year. Go Skins!

Lavar will never be Laurence Taylor and Sean will never be Ed Reed. They are so gifted physically that they seem to both rely on that to get where they are. That doesn't mean they are as smart as the other 2 players.

Some people are just playmakers. Laurence Taylor was a playmaker and Ed Reed is one. Our boys are just very good football players....with a bit of sizzle.

If either Lavar or Sean had been drafted in the 3rd round...right now they would be considered a steal. As it is many consider them to disappointing.

Who the hell is LT these days? Only LT is LT. There will never be another.

Who ever said Arrington needed to be LT and who said that ST needs to be Ed Reed. Let the men be themselves! They are Redskins! We can win with them and taht is all that is important. If they want to be noted as the best player at their position, blah blah blah, I'll leave it up to them.

Taylor is just 22 years old. He can't be Ronnie Lott overnight. ;)

He can't make picks or big hits if nobody throws to his side either. It's the same argument made with "shutdown" CBs, they don't get picks because the QB doesn't throw to them. Taylor can't get picks if nobody throws to him either.

I still hope he changes his # back to 36 though. I think 21 is bad karma. ;)

josh90286 i feel that he is a great talent but everything you say about his mistakes is true but i think he's getting there ya he probably would get more picks if he just played centerfield all game long and as much as that would help us in our desperate need for a positive turnover differential he's close to being at good at coverage as any one of our corners. the coaches saw last year how he ran stride for stride down field with chad johnson and picked it. they saw him OUT JUMP randy moss to tip it away down field. so as much as we could use his picks his coverage is just as important. plus as springs said sometimes when yer playin yer best you may not have stats cuz they dont throw yer way he's better than reed in coverage but needs to make better tackles and choose his knockouts wisely

I've seen some of your posts and i have come to the conclusion that you are one of the most negative Redskins fan i have ever seen.

ST is in his second year...your right he will never be Ed Reed. He will be better.

the problem with TV coverage is they don't show what's going on in the secondary

you only see the secondary if a play is made, or there's a turnover

so we really can't see everything he's doing for this defense

damn, I wish Sunday Ticket provided coaches' film of the games

Archived